Welcome to CollectorFreaks.com! Register today to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and easy!
Advanced Search
Page 1 of 1186 1234511511015011001 ... LastLast
    Super Freak
    Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Default The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2008_02/pr1903.htm

Stick a fork in them. They're done.

Since Toshiba gave up, I'm sure other companies are allowed to leave HD DVD exclusivity and go Blu.
    Last edited by The ill Jedi; 05-26-2010 at 07:19 AM.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    They are. There is an automatic exit clause in their contracts triggered by the death of the format.

What remains now to be seen is:

1) Whether Warner will still complete its announced schedule of HD DVD releases through May. My guess is, no. Anything that is sufficiently far enough along the development/production cycle will probably be released (the money on those titles has already been spent, so why not recoup it?), but anything else will likely be scrapped, in favor of a Blu-ray-only release.

2) How quickly Paramount can get re-ramped up on Blu-ray production. We know that several titles were already well into development for Blu-ray (some even pressed) before the company aligned itself with HD DVD, so many insiders expect to see at least some Paramount Blu-ray titles on store shelves within 3-4 weeks.

3) What will become of Universal? There is a lot of bad blood between Universal and Sony. Will that be enough to keep the studio at arms length? And if so, for how long?

Super Freak
    Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboDad View Post

3) What will become of Universal? There is a lot of bad blood between Universal and Sony. Will that be enough to keep the studio at arms length? And if so, for how long?
    Well, they'll just be hated in general if they don't put movies out. Hell, they mastered a lot of movies in HD, so why not just release them and make the moolah. There are a lot of movies that Blu people will certainly buy. King Kong and Bourne spring to mind pretty quick. Money is money. Bad blood be damned.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboDad View Post
    They are. There is an automatic exit clause in their contracts triggered by the death of the format.

What remains now to be seen is:

1) Whether Warner will still complete its announced schedule of HD DVD releases through May. My guess is, no. Anything that is sufficiently far enough along the development/production cycle will probably be released (the money on those titles has already been spent, so why not recoup it?), but anything else will likely be scrapped, in favor of a Blu-ray-only release.

2) How quickly Paramount can get re-ramped up on Blu-ray production. We know that several titles were already well into development for Blu-ray (some even pressed) before the company aligned itself with HD DVD, so many insiders expect to see at least some Paramount Blu-ray titles on store shelves within 3-4 weeks.

Damn, this sucks. I have a super nice stand alone HD-DVD player and tons of movies. Crap.

1. They will release what they have and just re-release them in Blu-Ray.

2. Yeah, they will just start releasing all the HD-DVD movies they have released so far on Blu-Ray, as will all the other studios.

3. No, probably not, as they want to make money like everybody else!
    XBL: Mmmmm Bacons PSN: Sick_Boy82 AIM: SicBoy82
    My Flickr

Finger-Lickin' Good
    Feedback
    8 (100%)
    I'm still wondering about what will happen to the HD-DVD exclusives that were planned, I don't know how long it takes for them to develop the discs so it might be worth it to just release them--but again, I don't know.

Paramount and Universal will definitely rerelease their HD-DVD exclusives on Blu-Ray, no reason not to since they can make a good amount of money off it.

Freaked Out!
    Feedback
    It will take some time, but I am sure that Universal and Paramount will be releasing Blu-Ray movies before the end of the year. How stupid do Paramount feel about deciding to go HD-DVD a few months back..

Couldn't this have gone in the nearly 1,500 post HD DVD vs Blu-Ray thread with the rest of the updates?

I honestly think this announcement merits its own thread.

Glad I told my Dad to wait on HD. Too bad I didn't

I wonder how cheap HD movies will become though.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Loki View Post
    I honestly think this announcement merits its own thread.
    Shocking

Quote Originally Posted by KitFisto View Post
    Shocking
    What the hell's that for

It's not like I'm Ill or anything.