Welcome to CollectorFreaks.com! Register today to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and easy!
Advanced Search
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Is TLC Anyone Else's Least Favorite?

It's super rare for Last Crusade to be anyone else's least favorite Indy film, especially with Crystal Skull into account, but I wonder if there's any others here who feel that way. While I still like TLC it just holds up the least well for me and it initially wasn't even my least favorite. I was definitely in the camp of fans who for a long time regarded Crystal Skull as the weakest but overtime I grew to enjoy it much more once the pre-release hype died down and marathoned it alongside the original three. There's just something about TLC that doesn't stand the test of time as well as the others for me. It's the only one with a bit of a "been there, done that" feeling with how it tries to be so similar to Raiders with the Nazis again, a biblical/Christian relic again, the desert setting again, etc. and while maybe people who weren't fond of Temple Of Doom enjoyed this I felt after how well TOD showed Indy doesn't always need this to work it felt like a letdown. It lacks the pulpy style of the first two that made them feel so special and unique. It never has the same feeling of danger or tension the first two had in spades and I've never been a fan of it's much more slapsticky, comical tone. Sure the other films have humor including the dark TOD, but the humor came naturally whereas in TLC the humor is deliberate and for me really undermines the tension and stakes so much. Makes the movie feel like a cartoon version of Indy. It also has the dullest villains of the series, I found the Holy Grail the least interesting of the relics and don't get me started on how this movie ruined both Brody and Sallah.

I still enjoy TLC but of all the Indy films it's the one I have the most issues with. Raiders and TOD are as awesome as ever and Crystal Skull despite it's many flaws improves overtime whereas TLC is the only one that diminishes. I know TLC being considered the worst is controversial and probably outright blasphemy to many, but I still enjoy it. It just isn't as entertaining as the rest for me.

Last Crusade was my favorite and my wife’s as well. It also was the first Indy film we watched. I hated temple of doom and Kingdom skull. Short round and Mutt are beyond annoying.

Fair and square baby!
    Feedback
    3 (100%)
    It's my favorite. All down to the chemistry between Harrison and Sean.

Ham and Egger MODERATOR
    Feedback
    86 (100%)
    I can't rank it Lower than crystal skull, but hear where the op is coming from. Compared with the prior to films, it does seem more intentionally Bland and family friendly. The interaction with Sean Connery is a bit cutesy at times, and the level of danger is not really there to my eyes. But I still like it quite a bit. No Shia Lebouf or computer-generated monkeys swinging around in this one.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Super Freak
    Feedback
    2 (100%)
    The entire first half of the film is pretty cringeworthy but it really picks up when Connery appears. More of a fun buddy/family movie than the previous two but infinitely more watchable than KOTCS.

Ham and Egger MODERATOR
    Feedback
    86 (100%)
    The train sequence is one of the most memorable scenes to my eyes, and the transition to Indy on the boat.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Super Freak
    Feedback
    Temple of Doom and (ESPECIALLY) Crystal Skull are far worse than TLC. IMO.

Sean

For me.. it's right on par with KOTCS... just way too cheeky... Raiders will always be my favorite... with TOD a close second (granted that has to do with the fact I saw it in the 3rd grade at the theatre).. But it was such an anticipated event for me as a kid - as I had been an obsessive Indy fan at that point - shocker... Funny side note... the day that TOD premiered was also a solar eclipse... kids at school chatted all day about how if you looked right at the sun you'd go blind... knowing my parents were taking me to see TOD that night, I walked all the way home from school staring at my feet.. the thought of going blind before seeing the new Indiana Jones movie was a travesty !!!! True story.... fast forward years later... TLC premiers.. I saw it on vacation as a young teen down in Florida.. and was not impressed.. fell flat.. No matter how many times I watch it, it always just seems overly.... cheesy.... then there was KOTCS... sigh... I just hope that now with Disney at the helm.. and the magic they have done with the Star Wars franchise.. that they will spin their magic on Indiana Jones.. because obviously Lucas went off the rails and dang near destroyed BOTH franchises..
    CUSTOM GUNBELTS, HOLSTERS, SIDEBAGS and WHIPS for INDY !! Just PM me !!

Super Freak
    Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by karamazov80 View Post
    The train sequence is one of the most memorable scenes to my eyes,and the transition to Indy on the boat.

Freaked Out!
    Feedback
    7 (100%)
    If throwing the Crystal Skull into the mix then no, not my least favorite. It is my least favorite of the original three but don't get me wrong, I still love it. Just seemed a little too corny compared to Raiders and Temple.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk