Welcome to CollectorFreaks.com! Register today to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and easy!
Advanced Search
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Super Freak
    Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Default Re: Is TLC Anyone Else's Least Favorite?

I'm surprised to see so many people offended that Marcus Brody was played for comic relief in TLC. TLC has its lion's share (no pun intended) of problems but I've never seen Marcus as being one of them. He was a bit character in Raiders with a small handful of minutes on screen and didn't appear in TOD at all. Hardly a sacred icon of cinema.

Freakazoid
    Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Khev View Post
    I'm surprised to see so many people offended that Marcus Brody was played for comic relief in TLC. TLC has its lion's share (no pun intended) of problems but I've never seen Marcus as being one of them. He was a bit character in Raiders with a small handful of minutes on screen and didn't appear in TOD at all. Hardly a sacred icon of cinema.
    Raiders painted Brody as more or less an "M" (007) character. Imagine if M had ended up a bumbling stooge in a Bond film.

Quote Originally Posted by Dash View Post
    Raiders painted Brody as more or less an "M" (007) character. Imagine if M had ended up a bumbling stooge in a Bond film.
    Hear Hear. They completely changed his character. His "small handful of minutes" in Raiders painted him as an intelligent, experienced former-archeologist. He maintains that character in the first half of LC. Next thing you know, he got "lost in his own museum" and bumbles his way out of a train station. He doesn't have to be a sacred icon to be a beloved character that went from "cool to fool" because some comedy relief was required.

Agreed that they ruined Marcus in LC... Despite being a minor part in Raiders, he had a very smooth, intelligent calm about him. They way he casually handles Indy getting all ramped up about going back after the idol when they talk in his classroom.. He kind of exuded this steadiness that balanced Indy's eagerness... So yeah.. when he turned into a clown in LC I was also disappointed... Agreed on the comparison to 007's M too... Same vein in that he was the steady rock that kept things on track..
    CUSTOM GUNBELTS, HOLSTERS, SIDEBAGS and WHIPS for INDY !! Just PM me !!

Exactly and TLC ruined Sallah, too. He was a good character in ROTLA and he also became clownish in TLC. Needless to say, he wasn't missed in KOTCS.

Freaked Out!
    Feedback
    I just remember when i saw it back in 89, the three trials was about to start, so i thought this is pretty sweet. But then it happened and it felt really rushed. Like they were trying to time the movie to finish abit sooner.
    Connery is really funny imo, but the effects are terrible.

As good as Connery was in the film it annoys me a bit that Indy gets overshadowed in his own movie at times. His name is in the title and he's the character I expect to be the main one, not one of his family members. KOTCS suffered from the same problem, Indy feeling more like he was along for the ride with his family rather than the other way around as it was with the supporting characters in the first two. I far prefer the more rogue, mysterious Indy of the first two. He has people along helping him in his quest but is still leading the way.

Freakazoid
    Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by bmarz1000 View Post
    Hear Hear. They completely changed his character. His "small handful of minutes" in Raiders painted him as an intelligent, experienced former-archeologist. He maintains that character in the first half of LC. Next thing you know, he got "lost in his own museum" and bumbles his way out of a train station. He doesn't have to be a sacred icon to be a beloved character that went from "cool to fool" because some comedy relief was required.
    I've got to wonder if there was a re-write somewhere mid-shoot. As a character goes, Marcus does shift considerably from the first act to his re-appearance in the second.

You almost have a hard time buying it's supposed to be the same character.

Freakazoid
    Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Master View Post
    I don't dislike TLC but you hit the nail on the head with it's many problems. That's another thing I forgot to mention, how shoddy and cheap some of the effects look, especially the blue/green screen. Hard not to be distracted sometimes when I watch the film.
    It's not just the effects that look cheap. A lot of the production value seems cheapened somehow, far less extravagent than what we saw previously in Temple of Doom and Raiders. Castle Brunwald in particular; It's supposed to be an actual historical castle and instead looks like the pre-fab film set that Neville Sinclair's "The Laughing Bandit" was being shot on in Disney's The Rocketeer.