Welcome to CollectorFreaks.com! Register today to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and easy!
Advanced Search
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Ham and Egger MODERATOR
    Feedback
    86 (100%)
    Default Re: Is TLC Anyone Else's Least Favorite?

Quote Originally Posted by Khev View Post
    I didn't say it was the best. But particularly watching it as a kid, that stuck with me. I could kind of imagine myself as a young Indy.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    28 (100%)
    I love Raiders best but Last crusade is enjoyable. I don't like what they did to Marcus though. I don't think of him as a bumbling oaf. Loved Connery as Henry though.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by punisher1974 View Post
    I love Raiders best but Last crusade is enjoyable. I don't like what they did to Marcus though. I don't think of him as a bumbling oaf. Loved Connery as Henry though.

He didn't have that much screentime in Raiders but there was no indicator at all he was such a buffoon as TLC made him.

The Last Crusade is my favourite, hardly a dull scene from beginning to end. Great opening for young Indy, the library, boat chase, rescuing Sean Connery from the Nazis, the airplane/blimp scene, tank chase in the desert, the final 3 challenges...hard to top all that.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    TLC is MY least favorite. I was 16 when the movie came out and I was a huge Indy fan ever since Raiders. I loved Raiders even more than I did SW. I think I still do. TOD blew my mind when that came out too. It felt relentless, like it did not let up on the action for a single second and it was all super intense and deadly. It was exhilarating and exhausting to watch, and so damn fun! So I suppose I must have had some majorly high hopes for TLC when it was coming out. But my disappointment was just as huge as my anticipation. I was heartbroken as I watched TLC. It felt bland and dull, like a pale imitation of Indy and Raiders. The action was not very dangerous, and sometimes flat out illogical and lazy. The effects looked damn cheap, like shot-on-video level. The sets also looked extremely cheap, particularly the stuff on the water like in the beginning and the propeller in Venice, like they were shot in a tiny bathtub. The jokes were not funny to me in the least. I thought the whole “origin” story was preposterous (him getting the scar, the whip and the hat and overall “look” all in one fateful afternoon), even though I had initially loved the idea of River Phoenix playing Indy. I’ve watched it a few times since, always trying to give it another shot. But it just never gets any better for me. I don’t think I’ll even leave the channel on it if I happen to come across it on TV, but I would the other movies. I just kind of ignore it. It’s not anger-filled hate I feel towards it, like it “ruined” Indy and all the other movies. It’s just disappointment and I scarcely ever think about it.

Crystal Skull I found…fine. I knew what to expect from both Lucas and Spielberg at that point in their careers. Lucas gave us the utterly dreadful prequels, and Spielberg was VERY hit and miss (although I loved his Minority Report and War of the Worlds but figured he would go more towards young kid’s level action for Indy). So I knew the movie would skew for a young audience and it all played fine for me. I laughed a few times and felt the action was ok, definitely better than LC. Yeah, some of it is really hokey and illogical, but I guess I’m a little more accepting of those flaws in my older age. But I can see CS is lightweight and not on the same level as Raiders or TOD. Honestly I think Indy should have been in a different place in his life at that age, not still gallivanting after artifacts in the same way he was when he was in his 30s, and they could have done a lot with an interesting character arc with his age, but it’s not my movie.

So my list has Raiders on top (not even close), followed by TOD, then CS and finally TLC.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TwelveInchFigures View Post
    I just figured it was an age thing.
    some people DO get forgetful when we get older.
    Exactly. My grandma's in her 80's and still has a healthy mind. In contrast, my grand-grandma was pretty out there at the same age.

It also can be very sudden. An old lady who lives in the same building I am was fine last year, I talked to her from time to time. This year... oh man, she's only talking to her cat while carryin' it in her arms everywhere... NONSTOP. It's unsettling.

Quote Originally Posted by TwelveInchFigures View Post
    I just figured it was an age thing, I don't think he was a buffoon at all. But I can see where it could annoy someone. But in all fairness, some people DO get forgetful when we get older (maybe it's not the age, it's the mileage), it doesn't make the person a buffoon, just human.

He definitely acts very silly though and doesn't seem anywhere near as smart as he came off in Raiders. He seemed like a smart, wise person in Raiders and in TLC he gets lost in his own museum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Old Lu View Post
    TLC is MY least favorite. I was 16 when the movie came out and I was a huge Indy fan ever since Raiders. I loved Raiders even more than I did SW. I think I still do. TOD blew my mind when that came out too. It felt relentless, like it did not let up on the action for a single second and it was all super intense and deadly. It was exhilarating and exhausting to watch, and so damn fun! So I suppose I must have had some majorly high hopes for TLC when it was coming out. But my disappointment was just as huge as my anticipation. I was heartbroken as I watched TLC. It felt bland and dull, like a pale imitation of Indy and Raiders. The action was not very dangerous, and sometimes flat out illogical and lazy. The effects looked damn cheap, like shot-on-video level. The sets also looked extremely cheap, particularly the stuff on the water like in the beginning and the propeller in Venice, like they were shot in a tiny bathtub. The jokes were not funny to me in the least. I thought the whole “origin” story was preposterous (him getting the scar, the whip and the hat and overall “look” all in one fateful afternoon), even though I had initially loved the idea of River Phoenix playing Indy. I’ve watched it a few times since, always trying to give it another shot. But it just never gets any better for me. I don’t think I’ll even leave the channel on it if I happen to come across it on TV, but I would the other movies. I just kind of ignore it. It’s not anger-filled hate I feel towards it, like it “ruined” Indy and all the other movies. It’s just disappointment and I scarcely ever think about it.

I don't dislike TLC but you hit the nail on the head with it's many problems. That's another thing I forgot to mention, how shoddy and cheap some of the effects look, especially the blue/green screen. Hard not to be distracted sometimes when I watch the film.

I love the Last Crusade. My only real issue is how they turned Marcus Brody into a bumbling fool for the second half of the film.