Welcome to SideshowCollectors.com! Register today to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and easy!
Advanced Search
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Dioder alternative?

Wow, that is pretty blue! I haven't really tried the multicolor Dioders yet; I was thinking of using them for accent somewhere, but I need to actually have a display set up to know where!

Actually, the wires on mine were very visible, so I painted them black and ran them to the back of the shelves, down the middle, and out the back. They're not terribly noticeable, but the painting is annoying for a large number of them.

I use 3M exterior VHB tape for anything that needs to stick and stay stuck.. very strong stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Geil View Post
    I use 3M exterior VHB tape for anything that needs to stick and stay stuck.. very strong stuff.
    Thanks, Geil. I'll have to try some of that. The mounting tape that came with the barlighting strips doesn't hold for !@?*.

make sure to clean the surfaces and in case you live in north pole use a hairdryer to warm up the tape which will make the bond even stronger

Okay, I've finally got some pictures. I decided to wait until I unpacked a few figures. In this picture, the Barlighting strips are on the left, and on the right are Ikea Dioder pucks.

The Barlighting lights are a bit cooler than Ikea's old cool white lights. It works for my purposes, but I'm not sure the two types are a great mix for general use. The Barlighting power cables are much shorter than Ikea's, which meant that I had to drill a few holes in the bookcase backing (three per bookcase), but you can chain them together so there are fewer visible cables in the shelves themselves. You can see a bunch of the Ikea cables in the right bookcase (especially in the second shelf down), but the Barlighting ones are harder to see. They're all in the right back corner of the bookcase; you can see the one on the top shelf if you squint at it.

I'd say that these are a nice replacement for Ikea's now useless Dioders, but I wish the Barlighting cables were longer (and came in black so I didn't have to paint everything).

Here's a wider shot, with one side of my eventual shelf setup. The Dioder pucks are in the two bottom cubes of the far right shelf and in the entire wide shelf to its left (third from the left). The rest are Barlighting.

In case anyone is interested, I mounted the lights on a wooden mounting strip that I made from two pieces of precut balsa from a hobby store. For each shelf, I used a 30" x 1/2" strip and a 30" x 1/4" triangle, which I glued together. In the pic below, the left edge is what was mounted to the bottom of the shelf, with the bottom in this pic facing out.

I then glued the light strips' mounting clips to the slanted edge and attached the strips so that the lights are angled into the shelf. I painted the outside face black and attached the entire assembly onto the bottom front lip of the shelf with double-sided tape (3M exterior). The wires are run to the back of the bookcases, then to a remote-controlled power strip so everything comes on with a switch. The strips are a bit fragile, but they don't look too bad.
    Last edited by natron; 08-16-2012 at 10:22 PM.

nice work!! did you pick up the pure white or are these RGB ones?

Thanks, Geil! I was going for bright and cheap, so these are just the pure white ones. I'd be interested in seeing how the RGB ones look, but I don't think I'd use them.

yeah I am still undecided but worry that RGB gives off the wrong kind of white. Will likely stick with pure white as well just to be save and to get the brightest option as well. only thing is the RGB options usually come with remote controller bundled....... argh just dunno what to do yet.... oh well money has to go towards figures first and foremost LOL

rawr
    Feedback
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geil View Post
    yeah I am still undecided but worry that RGB gives off the wrong kind of white. Will likely stick with pure white as well just to be save and to get the brightest option as well. only thing is the RGB options usually come with remote controller bundled....... argh just dunno what to do yet.... oh well money has to go towards figures first and foremost LOL
    Too bad the remote wont work with the pure white sets. Would have ordered it instantly. For now, the piss yellow ones from Ikea will have to do.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Conserve-Switch-Energy-Saving-Remote/dp/B003P2UMOE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1345301614&sr=8-6&keywords=remote+power+strip"]This[/ame] is the power strip with remote that I'm using. I had the same worry about the RGB strips. I have one of Ikea's RGB puck sets, and the white isn't too yellow, but it's not very bright at all.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast