Welcome to CollectorFreaks.com! Register today to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and easy!
Advanced Search
Page 2 of 489 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 4888
  1. #11
    Greatest Person Ever
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tromaville
    Posts
    10,064
    Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Reputation

    Default Re: Collection Database Website interest?

    Quote Originally Posted by jimjimmyjones85 View Post
    a DVD/Blu section.
    If you're looking for something for movies, books, and video games, it doesn't get any better than Delicious Library: http://www.delicious-monster.com/

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kabukiman View Post
    If you're looking for something for movies, books, and video games, it doesn't get any better than Delicious Library: http://www.delicious-monster.com/
    That one is cool but I like DVD-AF better, especially because it is free. I didn't like delicious because it is not mainly web based.

  3. #13
    Hey! Wow - just checked back on the post I made early last month inquiring if something like this existed - didn't realize where its gone since then. Thanks for your diligence, Sexy. I'm very much interested in this. All of your proposed implementations sound great - my only input would be a way to link an item to a possible availability on retailers sites or even eBay... or something like that. Definitely keep us posted on your progress and PM me if I can help with anything. BTW, I know jack about coding or building web sites . Thanks again!

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Judgepup View Post
    Hey! Wow - just checked back on the post I made early last month inquiring if something like this existed - didn't realize where its gone since then. Thanks for your diligence, Sexy. I'm very much interested in this. All of your proposed implementations sound great - my only input would be a way to link an item to a possible availability on retailers sites or even eBay... or something like that. Definitely keep us posted on your progress and PM me if I can help with anything. BTW, I know jack about coding or building web sites . Thanks again!
    Thanks for your interest as well. I did think about something a long the lines of a availability link but I have not really dived into the design around that aspect yet but I like where you are going. I will keep that in mind for a future enhancement.

    So far I have finished login, registration, view all collectibles stored in the database, adding a collectible for approval to be put into the database (including uploading a photo), adding collectibles to your own personal collection and the standard editing and removing. The main thing I don't have finished the UI which I am working on now. I am hoping this weekend to have some screenshots of how the collection view/gallery looks.

  5. #15
    circlesendwheretheybegin
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    16,364
    Feedback
    11 (100%)
    Reputation
    Sounds like a cool project.

    Remember the old checklists that used to come with some card collections?

    Is it going to use something like that?

    I can see something like:
    SSC Indiana Jones
    O Exclusive Edition O Regular O Customized

    And the user just checks off what they have. Then have an option to print 1)what you own, 2)what you are missing from a collection or 3)both.
    "A glass can only spill what it contains."-mewithoutYou

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by ProgMatinee View Post
    Sounds like a cool project.

    Remember the old checklists that used to come with some card collections?

    Is it going to use something like that?

    I can see something like:
    SSC Indiana Jones
    O Exclusive Edition O Regular O Customized

    And the user just checks off what they have. Then have an option to print 1)what you own, 2)what you are missing from a collection or 3)both.
    Very similar. The plan is for the data to be user driven. If you have a collectible you want to add to your collection and it doesn't exist to add you can add it to the main database of collectibles (will most likely need some sort of admin approval) and then once it is added you can add it to your own collection.

    Currently I am adding Exclusives and Regulars as separate collectibles in the database and then one of the features I would want would be to override specific accessories of a collectible for any customizations.

    I do like your idea for the ability to see what you are missing from a collection. Maybe at a license level? Do you think that would be beneficial? I think the problem would be how to do organize a collectible into a category to determine what you are missing. Based on type, 1/6th, 1/4th, PF, maquette? Or license? Or maybe a combination of both? I could add some filters to searching maybe that allows you to search on all collectibles base on type, license and if you own or don't own and any other types of filters we can come up with.

    Out of the box I probably won't create any specific user categories or groupings but eventually I would like for the user to be able to categorize them, themselves in their own collection for viewing purposes.

  7. #17
    circlesendwheretheybegin
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    16,364
    Feedback
    11 (100%)
    Reputation
    I have to use excel as an example, since I'm not familiar with other data base software, but I think if you have columns for brand, license, and product line that would probably be good enough.
    For stuff like SW or Indiana Jones you could even break it down by specific movie.

    Maybe have the system default that if the collector owns 1 item from a line that they would be interested in the other items of the same attributes.

    Possibly similar to Netflix, maybe a user can mark items that they aren't interested in and the system can exclude it from their list.

    Sounds really complex!

    I agree with you that allowing users to enter a new product is a good idea, but also agree it should be moderated so that the item is being added to the correct categories as well as prevent someone from creating a duplicate entry because they were too lazy to search the existing entries.

    Not sure if you'd be interested to do this, but you may inquire about partnering with some of the existing sites that have large product databases already, such as yojoe or rebelscum, etc.
    Last edited by ProgMatinee; 09-23-2010 at 08:13 AM.
    "A glass can only spill what it contains."-mewithoutYou

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by ProgMatinee View Post
    I have to use excel as an example, since I'm not familiar with other data base software, but I think if you have columns for brand, license, and product line that would probably be good enough.
    For stuff like SW or Indiana Jones you could even break it down by specific movie.

    Maybe have the system default that if the collector owns 1 item from a line that they would be interested in the other items of the same attributes.

    Possibly similar to Netflix, maybe a user can mark items that they aren't interested in and the system can exclude it from their list.
    Yea that sounds good. I will have think more about the netflix idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by ProgMatinee View Post
    Sounds really complex!

    I agree with you that allowing users to enter a new product is a good idea, but also agree it should be moderated so that the item is being added to the correct categories as well as prevent someone from creating a duplicate entry because they were too lazy to search the existing entries.

    Not sure if you'd be interested to do this, but you may inquire about partnering with some of the existing sites that have large product databases already, such as yojoe or rebelscum, etc.
    I think briefly about working with other databases out there and if I get this going and it takes off and a lot of people find it valuable and use it then I might start contacting some of them. The real problem being they will need some sort of web services in front of their data for me to access it because I really don't want to get into screen scraping. It seems though like a lot I have found don't contain a lot of high end collectibles that SSC and Hot Toys seems to offer.

  9. #19
    Dark Beagle of the Sith™ MODERATOR
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kansas: The State of Confusion.
    Posts
    35,762
    Feedback
    17 (100%)
    Reputation
    Panjo
    Things I'm Selling
    Sounds cool to me, SS! Keep us posted.


  10. #20
    Buckeye Nation
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    O-H-I-O!!
    Posts
    70,080
    Feedback
    15 (100%)
    Reputation
    I'm down for it...toytracker barely updates anything

Similar Threads

  1. Tavegg's Collection Stash
    By Tavegg in forum Show your Shelves!
    Replies: 289
    Last Post: 02-09-2014, 06:39 PM
  2. CTO's stash: Marvel Legends, purging the collection!
    By CTO15 in forum For Sale/Trade- Action Figures
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 08-11-2012, 08:45 AM
  3. Collection Stash Thread Gone?
    By Mister Ski in forum Other topics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-21-2011, 04:00 PM
  4. If you could only have one Alien collectible in your collection...
    By azurepred in forum Aliens & Robots-Statues, props, kits, etc.
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 01-19-2011, 05:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •