Sideshow's 1st DC Comics 1/6 action figure - the Clown Prince of Crime - JOKER!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
Sideshow Collectibles launches their much anticipated and long awaited line of DC Comics 1/6 figures with The Joker.

joke15.jpg

DC Comics 12 inch have long been much desired by the 1/6 hobby community and the Batman movie figures from Hot Toys have been some of the most successful 1/6 ever released. A few years ago DC Direct did a line of high end mixed media action figures, but they greatly disappointed collectors by going with a 13 inch base figure, just large enough that they didn’t fit in with the rest of our 1/6 lines.

Now Sideshow is prepared to meet demand with hopefully a long line of DC characters. The designs on these figures aren't from movies or exact interpretations of specific artist’s styles for each character, but are an amalgam that gets to the heart of what makes each character iconic. Hot Toys is great at producing 1/6 figures that look like they leapt off the movie screen, but when it comes to creating unique designs based on 2-dimensional source material – Sideshow has demonstrated a unique expertise.

As they’ve shown with their GI Joe line, they can really deliver when interpreting classic characters in a more realistic format. Some people may think they went too far in “real-izing” some of the GI Joe characters, but you can’t argue that they took artistic chances – bringing a real flair and professional sense of design to established and beloved characters.
Now with DC they can do it again – creating well-known super heroes and villains but addressing the challenges of bringing a flat comic character into 3 dimensions. I don’t think anyone would argue that Joker isn’t wildly successful in that regard.

As collectors demand more and more from their 1/6 figures, manufacturers are stepping up with more realistic sculpts and tailoring, more detailed accessories, more original display options and of course, higher prices. Joker lists for $189.99. I know we all balked at the $100 price tag DC Direct put on their first 13” action figures (but we DC fans still bought them), but Sideshow is really trying to deliver value with tons of accessories, a couple of costume change elements, and 2 different head sculpts. In a world where we’re seeing $400-500 1/6 figures such as Hulk and Iron Man 3’s Igor, Sideshow’s prices are not unexpected.

Packaging

joke24.jpg

joke25.jpg

Back of the Box

This is a new box design but we’ve seen it before – from Hot Toys. They’ve adopted the shoe box-like opening box with a paper insert covering plastic trays holding the figure and accessories. I greatly prefer this over boxes that fold together with magnetized flaps that inevitably fall apart when the glue gets old. This new packaging will survive over time and allow us to keep everything together in an attractive package.

The art on the box is very minimal, but is classy and not at all toy-like. Inside the paper insert covering the figure is iconic art reminiscent of Alan Moore/Brian Bolland’s “The Killing Joke.” One of the definitive Joker stories that this figure owes a lot to.

joke23.jpg

Inside is old Jack himself front and center (what, I can call him that – who’s to say I’m wrong?)

joke22.jpg

Under him are trays holding the accessories and his purple overcoat.
joke19.jpg

joke18.jpg

Please excuse the flash on the unboxing pictures – I was eager to get to it and didn't want to set up the lights.

Sculpting

The description on Sideshow’s site says the portrait was inspired by Bolland’s take on the Crown Prince of Crime from “The Killing Joke” and one can definitely see that interpretation in this sculpt. But it also calls to mind Jokers from other eras, Arkham Asylum Joker, and the animated Batman Joker.

joke14.jpg

joke12.jpg

One important detail that really adds to the figure is the sculpted neck. Unlike most 1/6 figures who have generic plastic necks, Joker has a waddled, creepy neck unique only to him. It really makes the sculpt come alive.

joke11.jpg

There is also a head with a hat – the face has an open mouthed grin so you can almost hear him laughing. The hat is like the one from “The Killing Joke,” but in the distinctive purple we’ve come to associated with the Joker.

joke2.jpg

Costume
The outfit is the classic purple tails, orange vest, green shirt and string tie that has become the stable for the Evil Clown through the years.

joke6.jpg

joke5.jpg

The detail is excellent throughout the costume, down to tiny buttons and all the vents and cuffs that one would see on a 1:1 scale outfit like this.

joke4.jpg

The overcoat is extremely well done, it’s doublebreasted with tiny faux buttonholes where they should be. However apparently it isn’t designed to go over the tail coat. It was too bulky and awkward like that and fits beautifully if you remove the tail coat. One disappointment is that there is no way to fasten the overcoat. It hangs open very naturally, but it would be nice if there were hooks or snaps so you have the option to close it. It looks good with the collar up or down as well.

joke1.jpg

One problem I did have was with the tailcoat- the factory had a problem stitching his lapels and there is some facing showing. Luckily it’s on the back of them and you won’t see them much, but it is a bit of an issue with such an expensive figure.

Accessories
He’s got a ton of accessories, most of which will be sitting in the box. And he has hands for holding all of them. Sorry, I don’t have pics of the playing cards.

Bang
joke2.gif

joker8.jpg

Ka-Boom!
joke7.jpg

The exclusive version of Joker comes with a pair of Smiling Fish – a plot element from a beloved comic story and the animated series.

joke10.gif

The body
I wasn’t brave enough to disrobe him completely, but this feels/looks like a modification of the SSC Prometheus body. It’s thinner than that standard body, but moves like it. It’s perfectly suited to the character and stands well on its own without the included figure stand. One thing I wanted to mention that Sideshow has been doing for a while now that other companies still can’t perfect – the hand and head swap.

Each of Joker’s many different hands go in easily and come out easily, but are tight and easy to pose while attached. Hot Toys concedes that you’re going to break the hand pegs and just throw in extra with each figure – but it’s nice to know with Sideshow figures you don’t have that worry.

Overall
Joker’s not my favorite DC villain, but he’s an important part of the DC Universe and a logical place to start for Sideshow’s (hopefully) extensive foray into comic book characters. I’m looking forward to all of these, and will be getting them all.

So far we’ve only had Bat-family announced with Harley Quinn, Catwoman and Batman – but Superman is coming soon.

Hello boys!
joke16.jpg

Jokerpalooza!
joke17.jpg

joke3.jpg

The The Joker Sixth Scale Figure features:
• Two (2) Hand Painted Joker Head Sculpts
• Playing Cards
• Straight Razor
• Dynamite
• Lighter
• Revolver with 'BANG!' flag
• Tailored Fabric Costume Includes: Pants, Vest, Shirt, Tuxedo Coat with Tails, Trench Coat, Argyle Socks, and White Spats
• Cane with Jester Skull
• Multiple Gloved Hands including 'Buzzer' Hand
• Display Base with 'The Joker' Artwork
• Sideshow ExclusivePair of Joker Fish Accessories

Back