GI JOE: Retaliation - Hot Toys MMS 199 - Roadblock 1/6 Review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
I didn't grow up playing with the 3 3/4 inch GI Joes, my Joes were a manly 12 inches and didn't have individual code names. I wouldn't know a Beachhead from a Firefly.

So I had little invested in the GI Joe movies aside from them looking like interesting action movies. I can't say I'm a huge fan of either film, but they did at least try to step up their game with casting on the sequel - bringing in Bruce Willis and Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson. Dwayne as any character is cool, and seems appropriate for the Joe's Heavy Machine Gunner. They made him more of a total weapons expert and I didn't really realize how cool the character design was until I started putting together this figure. The little things, like modular weapons, completely passed over me when I saw the movie.

Hot Toys has done an admirable job of translating Dwayne to 1/6, although I know some people have problems with the likeness and the body size - I think they did a decent job.

The box is a no-frills Hot Toys box - with the character poster from the film on the cover.

roadblock17.jpg

roadblock16.jpg

As a weapons expert he comes with a lot of stuff, some of it very tiny.

roadblock15.jpg

roadblock14.jpg

They packaged Roadblock with his sleeves rolled up - they obviously wanted us to see that they went to the trouble of reproducing Dwayne's tattoos on his arms. The chest is also tattooed, but I didn't want to wrestle with getting the vest on and off - so I'll probably never see that one.

roadblock13.jpg

roadblock12.jpg

They also included the black t-shirt that he frequently wears in the movie - but again, not undressing him to test it out. It doesn't have the UnderArmour logo on it as the one in the movie did.

But he does come with a bunch of weapons that are all part of a modular weapons system that is pretty cool. Roadblock wears 2 universal grips on his belt and these can attach to a myriad of weapons, like a baton or a small blade knife, or a large blade knife or even guns.

roadblock11.jpg

roadblock9.jpg

roadblock8.jpg

He must have used all of these in the film, but I don't remember it. However it's a very cool way to give him a lot of weapons without looking loaded down.

He also comes with his heavy machine gun.

roadblock7.jpg

roadblock3.jpg

roadblock4.jpg

The biggest drawback to this figure is that there are so many small parts and they don't fit tightly where they're supposed to go. The grips kept falling off of their holders on his belt when I tried to pose him, and the ammo clip box was difficult to keep on the machine gun. But they did a great job on accuracy so I'm sure some playability has to suffer. If they were making a toy for a child, it would be important that everything stay attached and easy to handle for uncoordinated hands, but HT knows we don't mind breaking out the tweezers and magnifying glass to get our figures just right.

Dwayne-Johnson-roadblock-GI-JOE-2-RETALIATION-4-539x600.jpg

Some people have an issue with this figure and scale - Dwayne's a big guy and Ray Park as SnakeEyes is not. I can't say the scale is great, but Roadblock is taller than the other figures in the line.

roadblock3.jpg

Dwayne-The-Rock-Johnson-Roadblock-Snake-Eyes-Ray-Park-G-I-Joe-2-Retaliation-Back-2-Revenge_13363.jpg

roadblock6.jpg

roadblock5.jpg

roadblock2.jpg

Overall, I wasn't that excited for this guy - but after taking him out and setting him up I'm very impressed. And you have to love how these guys look together. Even if the movies weren't great, they did honor the original characters with the designs.

Roadblock is still available from Sideshow - use the link to go buy now!
Buy Roadblock from Sideshow

Back