Welcome to CollectorFreaks.com! Register today to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and easy!
Advanced Search
  • The Review Spot looks at the QMx Star Trek TOS Captain's Chair

This article was originally published in forum thread: QMX Star Trek General discussion thread started by darthkush View original post
    Comments 1764 Comments
      Kleinesoldaten -
      Quote Originally Posted by Comatoast View Post
      I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement (and it is a prototype), and I realize the standards that are now regularly expected, but the rhetoric on a lot of threads these days is a bit much; "Terrible", "Way off", "Looks NOTHING like him/her". This isn't an exact angle/expression comparison but it's close. I lightened the eyebrows a bit (they are way too dark, although it varied with the makeup application sometimes), but that's it. The ears are off, but that should be an easy fix. Other than that I like it.

Attachment 394301
      I agree with you, I'm seeing what you're seeing. A far cry from a disaster.

I'm probably going to stick with just the TOS but the TWOK Kirk and Khan look tempting..
      Marine Boy -
      I'll definitely be picking up the TWOK figures, but it occurs to me that their posing options are limited. There was no dynamic scenes in their uniforms, and Khan actually had no direct interaction with Kirk or Spock.
      Drake -
      I just want Scotty and Sulu, even though I remain unconvinced that we'll be seeing Chekov or Uhura at this point.
      davejames -
      Quote Originally Posted by Marine Boy View Post
      I'll definitely be picking up the TWOK figures, but it occurs to me that their posing options are limited. There was no dynamic scenes in their uniforms, and Khan actually had no direct interaction with Kirk or Spock.
      Hadn't thought of that, but you're right it'll be a challenge coming up with an interesting pose for them. Kirk firing his phaser at the ear slug is about the most action we ever saw out of him in the movie, and even then he was in his landing party outfit so that wouldn't work.

It would be cool if they made his Captain's chair from that movie, since I've always loved the design and it would give us another display option with him. If they don't, I think I might just have to scratchbuild one myself...
      Cutter77 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Oxnard Montalvo View Post
      Anyone in the uk in contact with Aaron at planet action figures? I sent him an email a few days ago and he hasn't replied. When I've contacted him before he's always gotten back to me the same day, it's not like him to go quiet like this. He also hasn't replied to his dealer thread since Christmas. I hope he's ok. I'm understandably concerned about my order, but that's small potatoes if he's unwell or dealing with an emergency. It's just very unusual given that he's normally very sharp on communications....
      Heís been away ill for about a week. I believe the chairs were arriving to him in 3 waves so it depends when you ordered to when yours would be dispatched. I would strongly recommend joining the PAF Facebook group if you can as he provides regular updates on there and in my experience itís easier to get a response from him there than by email.
      Sybeck1 -
      I just wish something from Trek was going up for pre order soon. Scotty, Sulu and TWOK Kirk and Spock were shown 18 months ago. Nothing definate when coming out but it's good to see them on the shelf every show. Ryker & Geordi and Worf were in San Diego last summer but not this weekend. Also Beyond Kirk and the Firefly figures were there also but not this weekend.
      Raymond F. -
      They do kind of tend to just put things up for order a month before they release which always surprises me a bit because I don’t know how they gauge quantity that way.

There’s only one thing that made me a bit worried about the health of the line and that’s that they touted the super limited quantity of khan but it’s still everywhere and looks like they needed to dump the rest off on sideshow.
      screamingmetal -
      The first clear head on shot of WOK Kirk:
      Attachment 394738
      A close up of the head I made from that image:
      Attachment 394739
      More images from QMX 1/6 lines here:
      http://news.toyark.com/2018/02/17/to...figures-287932
      Mike86 -
      Looking at that Kirk sculpt more itís definitely off. Seems like a somewhat decent start but it needs work. He looks a bit too young there or something.
      RIDDICK -
      Kirk and Data are damn bad. Won't buy 'till/if they rework the sculpts.
      davejames -
      Yeah I'm not seeing much of Shatner at all in that. They really should have given it back to Inigo to do, since everyone obviously loved the job he did on the first one.
      Oxnard Montalvo -
      Quote Originally Posted by Cutter77 View Post
      He’s been away ill for about a week. I believe the chairs were arriving to him in 3 waves so it depends when you ordered to when yours would be dispatched. I would strongly recommend joining the PAF Facebook group if you can as he provides regular updates on there and in my experience it’s easier to get a response from him there than by email.
      Got an email this morning. I'm apparently in the final batch, despite ordering pretty much the day it went up. ��*♂️
      Mike86 -
      I think with Data itís a combination of the hairline and his forehead thatís throwing it off. On top of that I think the expression just looks dull and lifeless.
      jlacivita -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
      I think with Data itís a combination of the hairline and his forehead thatís throwing it off. On top of that I think the expression just looks dull and lifeless.
      agreed, and also needs slightly darker and slightly bigger hair.

it would be great to get one of his slightly quizzical/intrigued looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Mike86 -
      Agreed. Data should have a more quizzical look or something. That seems suited to the character to me rather than the current sculpt where it looks like heís shut off or something.
      thebreen -
      I actually think Kirk looks quite good. He looks a bit young but reasonably so for early 1980ís Shatner.

Data, on the other hand looks too old. His cheeks look weirdly hangdog, and the hairline seems way off. Is that the same head sculpt weíve seen in earlier toy shows?
      Raymond F. -
      Quote Originally Posted by RIDDICK View Post
      Kirk and Data are damn bad. Won't buy 'till/if they rework the sculpts.
      I truly echo this sentiment. Should be easy enough to fix those sculpts before release. They need significant tweaks. Significant. But not necessary to start from scratch.
      Mike86 -
      I think part of the problem with Kirk is the expression. It seems a bit too neutral particularly for a version billed from The Wrath of Khan. Also it could just be the lighting but his face looks washed out and the hair seems like it could be a shade darker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      davejames -
      They were able to improve Spock quite a bit, so I'm hopeful they'll be able to do the same with Kirk...
  • Hot Toys Reviews

• Other 1/6 Reviews

• Statues/PF/Prop Reviews

• Video Fun with Collectibles