Welcome to SideshowCollectors.com! Register today to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and easy!
Advanced Search
  • Hot Toys - Star Wars - Stormtroopers photos by [JingoBell]

These Stormtroopers are fun to play with

Weeeeeeeeee!!!!
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Hot Toys - Star Wars - Stormtroopers photos by [JingoBell] started by jingoBell View original post
    Comments 19 Comments
      Captain Britain -
      Quote Originally Posted by TaliBane View Post
      Try doing some customs using Hasbro (or anything cheap on eBay) bits or casting anything you have. I made a Vader and Stormie for an out-of-pocket of $30 or so, and you can get a few parted bits from the SSC or HT versions to make yours look a bit better. They definitely ain't Hot Toys quality, but they look good enough to display among HT and SSC figures (well, in a "toward the back" kind of way) A few years ago, I'd never done a custom fig before, now I've got a bunch and more in process - it becomes more fun than actually buying one. And it's cheap!
      That's a great post right there and great advice for people who'd love to own this stuff but can't afford the dough. I've got a Hasbro 12" Tauntaun sitting in the back room, a Hasbro Hoth Luke on the way and a custom HT head Luke head coming from China, knock off slim truetype and what I'll have won't compare to a Sideshow Hoth Luke on a Sideshow Tauntaun... but it'll cost a fifth of the price and be a whole lot more fun. I bet what you say about kit bashing a stormy is true and what you'll end up with won't look too far off something that costs five times as much.
      VintijDroidGutzz -
      Yeah, I'm getting into the customizing head space more & more now. Researching parts & what works with what etc. I still want to buy certain figures, but totally - what you guys said. I'm planning a few general customs as we speak, & Vader might be one of them at some stage, seeing that the HT one just doesn't really cut it either.
      TaliBane -
      I know you guys have seen these before (and sorry to hijack the thread for a moment,) but for anyone else, these are the two figs I mentioned... pretty much all Hasbro (stormie is cast Marmit head though - crucial) and cost me essentially nothing but time. They don't compare to the customs you see that use expensive figures as the base (like the $250 SSC Vader etc,) or the straight-out-box masterpieces like HT stormies are, but they are totally fine from normal viewing distance. I'm making a Boba Fett and others like this just for fun. But you save thousands in the end and still have a "sort of cool" collection.

Wor-Gar -
      I know you guys have seen these before (and sorry to hijack the thread for a moment,) but for anyone else, these are the two figs I mentioned... pretty much all Hasbro (stormie is cast Marmit head though - crucial) and cost me essentially nothing but time. They don't compare to the customs you see that use expensive figures as the base (like the $250 SSC Vader etc,) or the straight-out-box masterpieces like HT stormies are, but they are totally fine from normal viewing distance. I'm making a Boba Fett and others like this just for fun. But you save thousands in the end and still have a "sort of cool" collection.
      It's probably more fun and rewarding too than just opening a box and moving on to the next 'want'. I love customizing/bashing.
      TaliBane -
      Quote Originally Posted by Wor-Gar View Post
      It's probably more fun and rewarding too than just opening a box and moving on to the next 'want'. I love customizing/bashing.
      It truly is a lot of fun, but boxed figure prices have taken such a huge leap ahead in the past year or two that I worry a surprising percentage of 1/6 collectors have been priced out of the hobby going forward (some just don't fully know it yet, because all that exists so far are announcements, pics and P.O.'s.) If there are tricks/recipes/techniques that people can share, it can be a way for people to keep building a collection without paying the huge price - you buy a few of those $$$ items, but offset it with a few customs. I do think customizing connects you to the source material better also - the very thing that draws people in the first place.
      TheFiend -

I haven't seen those! They looks great for some customized figures on the cheap. Well done! I especially like the Stormie. Looking forward to what you do with Fett I must tell you , I think the Hasbro Fett is actually rather nice and I've seen people do great things with it. I loved my Medi/SSC Fett. I had so sell him though to fund my new Vader project. I'll have three Vaders then! Funny, I never wanted two Vaders let alone three. It's just how this worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wor-Gar View Post
      It absolutely is. That's why I'm becoming more and more of a collector of WWII figures. The 1/6 WWII culture leans much more towards kitbashing/customizing etc. than the movie/pop culture collecting. Sure there are tons of customizers/kitbashers here too but the WWII guys are almost exclusively so. Almost all my figures have been modified in one way or another by myself. I get the most joy out of weathering,tailoring,deconstructing etc out of that than anything else in the hobby.
      anwe -
      With a body with a little wider shoulders and hips, that stormie would be painfully close to a SSC trooper albeit with a better helmet and codpiece.

As a background trooper I could easily hide 5-10 of them in a crowd on a shelf somewhere, well done.
      jedibear -
      Well. I hate to say it, but this gallery is making me seriously consider cancelling.

They look well-rendered and all, but...almost too perfect and shiny. And no offense to jingobell, but while they are well-photographed, I kept hearing bouncy techno music in my head flipping through these pics...like they were stills from some whacky dance routine video or something.

Maybe it's just SW fatigue settling in but...
      ...I hope those getting these really end up enjoying them. Think I'm gonna take a pass.
      Captain Britain -
      Quote Originally Posted by jedibear View Post
      Well. I hate to say it, but this gallery is making me seriously consider cancelling.

They look well-rendered and all, but...almost too perfect and shiny. And no offense to jingobell, but while they are well-photographed, I kept hearing bouncy techno music in my head flipping through these pics...like they were stills from some whacky dance routine video or something.

...I hope those getting these really end up enjoying them. Think I'm gonna take a pass.
      Always refreshing to read someone expressing their honest opinion!

Obviously, if you'd said this about Sideshow figures this would be happening...
    1. Creighton -
      some folks on ebay selling these as in hand. I thought we had a while to go?
      Captain Britain -
      Quote Originally Posted by Creighton View Post
      some folks on ebay selling these as in hand. I thought we had a while to go?
      They were released in Hong Kong last week. Don't know when Sideshow are getting them but people seem to be suggesting (guessing?) April.
      automaton -
      Quote Originally Posted by galactiboy View Post
      Wow, I just checked the date on these at Sideshow... August 2015
      would be nice to get some clarification on this...
      Captain Britain -
      Quote Originally Posted by automaton View Post
      would be nice to get some clarification on this...
      I don't know, if you were Sideshow would you want to make ANY predictions at the moment, with the strike and all?
      Abrissbirne -
      August has to be a filler, i doubt it will take that long.
      jkno -
      Quote Originally Posted by jedibear View Post

You have so may clones that you forgot OT goodness. Just kidding
      In fact the HT Stormies are very cool figures, but as with HT Vader I'm not overly impressed by them either. I'm getting the duo because is my focus, but I canceled HT Vader easily.
      earthdog -
      I know you guys have seen these before (and sorry to hijack the thread for a moment,) but for anyone else, these are the two figs I mentioned... pretty much all Hasbro (stormie is cast Marmit head though - crucial) and cost me essentially nothing but time.

[IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/dov5f6.jpg
      That looks great fill out the ranks! Really great. Do you have a thread on the project? Which Hasbro release was this?
    1. Creighton -
      Quote Originally Posted by Captain Britain View Post
      They were released in Hong Kong last week. Don't know when Sideshow are getting them but people seem to be suggesting (guessing?) April.
      Ah, Thanks. It would be great to get these in hand sooner than April.
      Rorywan -
      Quote Originally Posted by Captain Britain View Post
      Always refreshing to read someone expressing their honest opinion!

Obviously, if you'd said this about Sideshow figures this would be happening...
      Don't do it!!! They are very very beautiful. They look like miniaturised Stormtroopers in hand.
      Captain Britain -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rorywan View Post
      Don't do it!!! They are very very beautiful. They look like miniaturised Stormtroopers in hand.
      I get that! And I'll be getting at least the taller one when funds allow. Really envy you for having these in hand already, nothing beats getting a large parcel from HK.
  • Hot Toys Reviews

• Other 1/6 Reviews

• Statues/PF/Prop Reviews

• Video Fun with Collectibles