The Eagle's Nest

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyAndFight

©Fly, All rights reserved
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Here are some pics of a definite "Work In Progress"- My "Hobby Room". I'll be updating these as the room gets better organized and new additions are made. This was part of an addition I made to the house, hence it's still not set up in it's final format (note the lack of window dressing).

I just want to state that it's an eclectic mess of different themes: Aviation, 1/6th figures, Military, Sci-Fi and Fantasy.

So without further adieu, here we go!...

This is a shot of the main 1/6th figure "wall". Keep in mind that I've strived to provide a unique pose for each figure displayed. On the top row are my aviation themed figures, more or less in chronological or era order, ending with one of my Apollo astronauts. Under that on the left is my WWII themed figures and on the right my modern themed figures. The bins and boxes in the center hold part of my loose 1/6th "stuff"...
hobby%20room%207.jpg

Close-up of the Left side:
Hobby%20Room%2010.jpg

Close-up of the Right side, which includes my modeling bench:
hobby%20room%209.jpg

Next is a small section that will hold all of my Custom figures. You can see the ton of custom headsculpts, some painted, some just started, but all hopefully to be completed one day...:
hobby%20room%206.jpg

Here's the wall immediately in front of my computer desk: The Hellcat print is signed by the late David S. McCampbell, Commander Air Group 15, 1944. WWII Naval Ace with 34 kills. Underneath to the left is a signed photo of Gabby Gabreski, WWII & Korean War Ace with 28 & 6 kills respectively and to the right is signed photo of the crew of the Memphis Belle, signed by Col. Robert Morgan, commander of the aircraft.
hobby%20room%205.jpg

This is a wall to wall closet behind the three doors. The photos above the doors are also signed by the respective aces depicted ("Duke" Cunningham(Vietnam Naval Ace), C.E. "Bud" Anderson (WWII Mustang Ace), and a bunch of "Flying Tiger" aces ("Tex" Hill, Dick Rossi, Robert Scott, Bob Taylor and Charlie Bond):
hobby%20room%204.jpg

And here the doors are opened to reveal a medium sized hobby shop's inventory in plastic model kits, books & magazines and 1/6th boxed figures...
hobby%20room%201.jpg

Opposite the closet, I have this display case filled with Sideshow/Weta "Lord of the Rings" collectibles, built model kits, and at the bottom-left, a humidor holding some authentic Cuban Cohibas... ;)
hobby%20room%203.jpg

Finally, to the right of the display case is an old TV unit that I've converted to a statue display unit, with additional LOTR collectibles from Sideshow. Above is a 1:1 sword "Anduril", from the "Lord of the Rings":
hobby%20room%202.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the tour of the Eagle's Nest!

AMAZING!!! Very nice! I thought I was the only one who collected/built revell products but I see you have a million times more than I do. I love your military 12" figures. They look just superb!

TheObsoleteMan said:

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Love the set up! I have never seen a larger, more ranged collection of military figs and model kits. Outstanding!

And I can't wait to see what you do with your customs, it's a fun hobby that I am just beginning and I love to see the work of others! So far the heads look great! :D

Great Al, I know I have seen some shots of your collection before, but I don't think it was ever quite so extensive.

So what custom heads do you have? :confused:

Very impressive set up. The really like the signed photos and prints.

Oh, yeah! And the Cubans!

Great Collections !!! I didn't know that you are into 12" figures. :monkey5

By the way, do you use that "Future" on your work table to do water effects?

Thanks for the kind words, guys! Truly appreciate it. Believe it or not, I've already moved some pieces around since the pics were taken. I've gotten a few more SS/Weta LOTR Busts in since then.

Locutus started off as a Playmates Piccard, just like the one next to Locutus, and I used Sculpy to create the Borg headpiece. I added some extra photo-etched pieces to give it additional detailing and ran a fiber-optic cable into the eye piece which when lit by a little red light gives the impression of that red laser beam from the "Best of Both Worlds" episodes.

Hey Jim!

I actually airbrush the Future on the painted kits prior to applying any decals. This provides a super-smooth base for the decals and allows them to dry firmly on the model without "silvering" (trapped air pockets under the decal). Then once the decals are dry, I apply a second coat of Future to protect them and blend them into the model, making them looked painted-on. Once the Future is dry, I then airbrush a dullcoat.

Another great use for Future is by dipping the canopies and clear plastic parts in it and then allowing it to dry. It smooths out any blemishes and protects the canopies as well. They come out looking amazingly crystal clear.

nice collection you got there. I specially like the signed photos and the hanging paratrooper. I would like to see some of your models as well.

Back