Disney's Aulani Resort Opening

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestlite

Super Freak
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to get out to the soft opening of Disney's newest resort AULANI. Just a beautiful hotel with the usual Disney flair for detailing. I also ran into Joe Rohde of Walt Disney Imagineering who was instrumental in designing the hotel. Here are some pics I took over the past two days:

11-01A.jpg

11-14A.jpg

11-08A.jpg

11-03A.jpg

11-13A.jpg

Awesome pics bro!

My wife and I and some friends of ours are going on the Sept. 30th...so just a few weeks away ;) We got a great deal through a friend of ours, he is a member of the Disney Vacation club, or something like that. They gave him a great promotional rate with tons of perks. Should be a lot of fun. I have never been to Hawaii so, besides the resort, there will be a lot for me to see and do.

JB

Awesome pics bro!

My wife and I and some friends of ours are going on the Sept. 30th...so just a few weeks away ;) We got a great deal through a friend of ours, he is a member of the Disney Vacation club, or something like that. They gave him a great promotional rate with tons of perks. Should be a lot of fun. I have never been to Hawaii so, besides the resort, there will be a lot for me to see and do.

JB

That is awesome! The hotel is incredible and ranks up there with the best of the Disney hotels (Wilderness Lodge, Grand Californian, etc). The DVC suites are a cut above the regular hotel rooms so you are in for a treat. If you have a chance, be sure to head out to the North Shore for some shave ice with ice cream from Aoki's...

That is awesome! The hotel is incredible and ranks up there with the best of the Disney hotels (Wilderness Lodge, Grand Californian, etc). The DVC suites are a cut above the regular hotel rooms so you are in for a treat. If you have a chance, be sure to head out to the North Shore for some shave ice with ice cream from Aoki's...

I have heard great things about the shaved ice :)

JB

I'm definitely looking forward to one day getting out to this resort. It looks fantastic.

Just got back from 8 days at the Aulani :) It is an amazing resort. Top notch. The DVC villas are VERY nice. They are still working out a few kinks...since it has only been open a less than 2 months. We had probs with the check in and key systems. Our room keys would randomly quit working and they would have to issue new ones. But as usual Disney was very accomodating and made it worth our while. A few construction design flaws by the pool area were being fixed while we were there too, not big things. Awesome place, Disney will do well with this one.

JB

My wife want to go there but I told her hell no since we are going to CA Disneyland during Halloween. But we always go to the lagoons with the kids to swim and chill next to the hotel.

Just got back from 8 days at the Aulani :) It is an amazing resort. Top notch. The DVC villas are VERY nice. They are still working out a few kinks...since it has only been open a less than 2 months. We had probs with the check in and key systems. Our room keys would randomly quit working and they would have to issue new ones. But as usual Disney was very accomodating and made it worth our while. A few construction design flaws by the pool area were being fixed while we were there too, not big things. Awesome place, Disney will do well with this one.

JB

Aside from the minor issues, sounds like you had a great time! We'll be staying in the villas in December! Did you do the buffet or character breakfast?

Aside from the minor issues, sounds like you had a great time! We'll be staying in the villas in December! Did you do the buffet or character breakfast?

No actually we didn't eat much at the resort(aside from the poolside service and food we purchased at costco and made in the kitchen in the room) We ate out at various locations all over Oahu. The restaurants and the Aulani were VERY pricey. I did see the character breakfasts from the upper terrace of the lobby...looked like just mickey, goofy, and stitch for now. That place is gonna be crazy once the whole resort opens up. It was very uncrowded now.

I think you will love the villas, they are like little apartments. I had such a good time there, so much to do and see on Oahu and so much to do...or not do, if you prefer just lounging...your choice ;) at the Aulani.

JB

Did you rent a car to get there or do they have a shuttle from the airport?

Did you rent a car to get there or do they have a shuttle from the airport?

Not sure what JB did, but if you're just going to stay at the Aulani for most of the time, I would recommend taking a shuttle to the hotel. If you do plan to sight see beyond the resort, definitely rent a car and get out to the North Shore. Besides the surfing at Waimea, visit Haleiwa and try some shave ice with ice cream (and azuki beans if you are daring) at Aoki's Shave Ice stand...

Yep...we rented a car. The rates were very reasonable for 8 days through AAA. Oh dude, forestlite... I LOVED the North Shore. I have a friend who is a Pastor at Sunset Beach Christian Church. It is literally right on the beach, plus his house is on the same property, dead center pipeline. We spent a lot of time up there, and Haliewa was awesome. Make sure to get to Kono's restaurant if you go to Haleiwa. Its' a cool little surf town local restaurant...great jalepeno pineapple salsa and killer breakfast burritos...oh and the banana macadamia nut waffles...mmmmmmm, need to go back :)

JB

Glad you made it out to the North Shore JB! I love the Aulani, but really prefer the north end of Oahu. Much cooler and greener (the West side is much drier and definitely hotter). I've heard good things about Sunset Beach Christian church! I'm a Calvary Chapel man myself, but enjoy checking out other churches. I have eaten at Kono's and that place is great. Did you get a chance to try out Kua' Aina Burgers a little further down from the Haleiwa Shopping Center? Just about the best Avocado Burgers around...and they serve up the fries hot with the skin still on top!

Back