Change of heart/focus in collecting?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KBA

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Any other freaks going through this?

I first got into props, added 1/6 collecting, and finally jumped into statues. I kind of feel like I'm all over the place. I'll be looking at my collection and my preorders, and then suddenly I'm hit with a kind of epiphany —an urge to sell it all. After mulling it over for a while, I come to the realization that I've got things I'd never want to sell, and a lot of stuff I would. The stuff I'd never sell has a pattern: it's focused. The Marvel PFs I'd like to keep are the avenger ladies, The props I'd like to keep are Star Wars, and the 1/6 stuff Nolan Batman.

I'm not sure if this is some kind of quarter life or mid life crisis, or a natural 'weeding' of the collection, but it makes me wonder if others have experienced something similar and how they dealt with it.

:dunno

Yup. Partly this is due to me having a kid soon, though.

I've already done this once or twice - trying to focus the collection, I mean. My main line is vintage '80s GI Joe, but I tend to branch out. In recent years I bought a lot of the classic-themed 25th Anniversary GI Joes, but recently I unloaded at least a hundred figures that I didn't really care about. I'm still getting the Sideshow Joes but I'm leaving out the rest of the environments (I bought the first two) and statues, PFs, and the like (I bought the first dio and kind of regret it now - I had intended to at least get the first PF and statue as well but I really can't justify it with the baby on the way, plus these big items really take away from the 3 3/4" and 12" figures, visually). Getting rid of all the Sideshow 12" SW figures except my ex Vader, and all my Hot Toys Predators except the one from the first movie. I'm keeping a small Hot Toys collection that's focused on main characters - the first Pred, the first Alien, both Arnie T-800s, and I'll probably still get the Chris Reeves Superman.

Oh yeah, and I've got a small G1ish TF collection (Classics, 3rd party G1 types, etc) and the MOTUC stuff.

lol, sort of seems like I'm keeping a lot, now that I write it all down. But still, we'll see how I feel once the stuff I've got slated to go is gone.

I know the first time I did this (I had a lot of SW LEGO and Hasbro SW stuff at the time that I got rid of) it felt really good. Regaining focus in a collection feels great.

I've bought more original art than statues this year. I'm planning on walking away from statues after the x men PFs are complete & just collecting comic art

I've only recently started to look at stuff to collect. I'm pretty much an impulse buyer too, but I'm pretty picky of what I want. Mostly movie related stuff or just real good comic related statues.

I'll probably get sick of this stuff in a few years and sell it out.

This happens to me every few months...I start to look at my collection and think why did I buy certain figures and how do I not do that again and eventually sell off stuff that doesnt belong or figure out a way to clean house on certain collectibles.

i'm strictly focusing on the thing that got me into collecting

BATMAN

Yeah, I'm in on this too. I didn't really know much about these 1:6 figures when Batman DX02 came out. Too late to the wagon, hopefully I can collect some good 89 Batman stuff since I grew up on that too.

I've only been collecting 18 months, and it started from a previous scant and unfocused collection of toys that had some connection with my childhood and movies that had an impact on me. So long as 1/6 companies keep releasing figures from movies that I have a fond memory of, I'll keep adding to the 1/6 shelves. Once I'm sick of 1/6, or I come across some spare cash, I'll be hopping into 1/18 vehicles - but I doubt I'd sell any of my 1/6 stuff.

Indeed, I have been a collector since I was 20, I start collect stamp, old money, coins etc..... And I bagin collect sideshow from last year, never know I will put some much money on this, but I did, so soon a baby will come to the family, I guess is time for me to sell some statue now, but like you said, I am keeping some pf for good.

You looked at your CC statement didn't ya :lol ....Ya I go through that phase all the time. I was buying all kinds of stuff and one day I just stopped and looked at it all and said "wtf". I think all new collectors go through that phase since it's so cool at first (not that it's not cool anymore). Now I just collect a bit of 1/6 and PFs of my favourite movies, especially if they have to do with my childhood (80s and 90s). As an example, I recently got the Jason PtIII PF and I'm definitely jumping in on the CR Superman and 89 Batman stuff. As long as you have a certain focus, you'll be fine. The big stuff I have, will have to go me thinks !

I think we've all been down this road. I've collected toys for the last 20 years. I buy what I like. My problem is I like to many things. If I loose interest in a certain piece in my collection over time. I'll sell it on ebay. I've been thinning out my collection here and there on some things. Trying to buy things that I know I will keep for a long time.

I had the same conclusion: that some of us are spending into the thousands buying "toys" and have a moment of clarity when the bill arrives. My moment was when I asked myself what's going to happen to all of this stuff when I'm dead. I was asking myself what the hell was I doing.

I had the same conclusion: that some of us are spending into the thousands buying "toys" and have a moment of clarity when the bill arrives. My moment was when I asked myself what's going to happen to all of this stuff when I'm dead. I was asking myself what the hell was I doing.

For me, it's all going to my son when I die. Thing is that it's not going to be worth all that much anyways with the way HT overproduces now a days compared to before.

For me, it's all going to my son when I die. Thing is that it's not going to be worth all that much anyways with the way HT overproduces now a days compared to before.

My daughter will be getting mine and I'm sure she won't give a toss whether they're still worth anything or not. She loves my shelves and it'll be a nice memory for her to have when I'm gone.

Most definitely... I've moved out of the comic related PF's and busts (have a bunch up for sale) and have been focusing on the Movie related PF's and Busts.. My wife is into the SSC Star Wars Pf's and busts. My taste has changed in the last few years..:)

Last edited:
Its a phase eveyone goes through. I was out of work for a long time and ended up selling of about 80% of my stuff. Most of what I got rid of was 1/6 figs and the funny thing is that I don't miss one thing I got rid of. DX Joker, FB John Connor, Lots of Star Wars... gone. Now (with the exception of the DX Jack Sparrow) I am sticking to more of what I consider "high class" stuff like statues and PF's. I can't get as many because of the cost and space but I kind of see that as good thing... makes me more selective and only get the ones I REALLY want and will keep.

Good topic KBA, I have collected one thing or another since I was a kid. As my interests change, so do my collecting habits. The only problem is that I tend to keep most of my past collectibles. The only thing I have ridded myself of is my AD&D lead figurines (over 300+), my football card collection/hockey cards (a few thousand cards and several key sets from the late 70s throu' the 80s) and very few of my comics. I have all of my LOTR (Toybiz) figs of which I won't part with, and my collection of Mego Star Trek, Muhammad Ali, and 1:6th that I will not part with...at the momment. Things crop up and interests change, nothing wrong with cleaning house tho' (my wife would LOVE me to clean house):wink1:

I've started to cool off on statues and have focussed more on figures.

I started with prop replicas, moved onto NECA figures, moved onto Statues & Busts and have now moved onto 12" Figures (although it was a mix of statues & figures for a good while)

Out of all of my collectibles i'd be willing to part with about 8 out of about 35.

I usually only get ones i know i'd like in the long run.

Back