Suggestion for Darth Mauls sith probes expansion (SIDESHOW PLEASE READ!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vonhahn

Super Freak
Reaction score
First, let me start off by saying I think that Darth Maul and the sith probes look fantastic! I couldn't be happier with Darth Maul and am truly impressed. I am still on the fence about ordering the probe droids however and I couldn't figure out why. They are sculpted nicley too and look awesome! Then a co-worker here figured it our for me. The support wires that are used to make them float are black too and really distract from the droids themselves. I think that if those supports could be made of clear plastic, it would really help the illusion of "hover flight" and wouldn't detract soo much from the overall appearance. I really need other "freaks" to chime in with thier opinions if you agree (or disagree) so Sideshow has time to consider this suggestion (if it's possible from a production standpoint and not too late).

I know there was an issue with PF Obi-wan's training remote and I think it was LFL that insisted it be a metal support. Could be the same problem here. And I agree, clear plastic would be so much better.

normally Id think something like this is petty, but its a valid point. Just make them silver even. anything that contrasts fom the droid color and sets them apart.
The first time I saw these I thought the antenna on top of each was the wire continuing thru them out the top. call me an idiot, but that what it looked like at first glance. :confused:

I think clear plastic would make this piece a lot better. I didn't really look at the droids closely before but now it kind of bugs me as well. Darn you Vonhahn vor pointing it out. :emperor

Even if they are weaker than the metal ones - I would imagine they are also cheaper - so they could probably ship a spare for less than the metal ones would cost anyway ;)

I'd prefer clear as well - I suppose there's not much stopping you replacing them yourselves but I prefer not having to mod stuff too much (as I am really scared of mucking it up!)

Darklord Dave said:
I know there was an issue with PF Obi-wan's training remote and I think it was LFL that insisted it be a metal support. Could be the same problem here. And I agree, clear plastic would be so much better.

I agree with the metal support remark but I have to ask Dave where did you "hear" this from? Also skanks a million Lucasfilm, rats off to ya'! :monkey5

I agree with the above posts. The support rods do distract a bit. Clear plastic rods would be awesome. Does anyone know if the support rods are permanently attached to the droids? I think sideshow would sell even more of the probes expansion packs if they did something to give at least some illusion of hovering. Clear plastic rods are an excellent idea. Count me in please!:maul

I went back to the SSC site to check the pics and I agree wholeheartedly that the darned support rods should be replaced with clear plastic.....They actually mar the beauty of the sith probes!

Come on Sideshow, you can do it........:D

I agree 100% with the idea for clear plastic....I do think that the black distracts from the droids!

In case of an accident, I would rather bend some bent metal back into place than glue some broken plastic.

But I like the idea of an unpainted/silver-colored metal rod that contrasts with the color of the droids.

clear plastic is an awesome idea but not sure if it can handle the weight of those droids. if the droids are light enough, clear plastic is the way to go. If the droids are heavy go for the metal rods but painted white. Or could be brown to look blend in with the desert look.

I like the clear plastic idea but if like Dave said they couldn't on the exclusive training remote then I would expect this to fall into the same categorie. Though like Tom said they could go with a silver metal that would do the trick in the same way.

I vote clear plastic but I wont buy them anyway! I'm not buying any extras for figures! Figures by them selves and that's it! Unless the extras are $5-10.

PsychoCenbite :chew

Sideshow just needs to discover a clear metal and use that. While I prefer the clear plastic I'm fine with the metal rods. Silver or another differnet color (sand tan or sky blue perhaps) would be better to seperate the probe from the rod.

Weird, I was thinking this exact same thought at work this morning when looking at the droids. They can't be that heavy and I think the clear plastic would make it a much more attractive piece.

Darklord Dave said:

My wife and I both agreed that black was the wrong choice. But if LFL is insistent on metal (why they'd care is beyond me...if SSC says it's enough to support it, that should be good enough in this case), then use a more "natural" metallic silver. It'd be a decent happy medium.

Also, using die-cast metal for the droids would've been a better choice IMO.

Back