MTV 30

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karamazov80

Ham and Egger
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone else catching the MTV 30 stuff on VH1 Classic? Apparently tomorrow will be the 30th anniversary of MTV debuting, so they're showing lots of memorable stuff from MTV's history (mostly pre-reality TV era stuff). They've shown performances from award shows, Live AID, cartoons, commercials (including some wacky old contests), segments from Remote Control, Downtown Julie Brown, Headbanger's Ball, Clinton showing up for an MTV crowd after being elected, etc. Tomorrow night at midnight they will show the first hour of broadcast MTV in its entirety.

Pretty cool stuff, bringing back some memories (good and bad) from growing up and watching MTV.

U2's going into their long-ass version of Bad from Live AID as I type.

Anyone else catching the MTV 30 stuff on VH1 Classic? Apparently tomorrow will be the 30th anniversary of MTV debuting, so they're showing lots of memorable stuff from MTV's history (mostly pre-reality TV era stuff). They've shown performances from award shows, Live AID, cartoons, commercials (including some wacky old contests), segments from Remote Control, Downtown Julie Brown, Headbanger's Ball, Clinton showing up for an MTV crowd after being elected, etc. Tomorrow night at midnight they will show the first hour of broadcast MTV in its entirety.

Pretty cool stuff, bringing back some memories (good and bad) from growing up and watching MTV.

U2's going into their long-ass version of Bad from Live AID as I type.

Yeah, good memories. This was back when MTV actually played videos and videos were the only thing that mattered. Hell, once MTV started to play things other than videos, well, videos it seemed started to take a backseat. Though I loved Liquid Television, Beavis & Butthead, and a lot of other non video related things, MTV has just become everything those people who where there at the beginning would have never wanted to be a part of in the first place. Weird. The only time MTV plays videos now is late night once their Jersey Shore and Teen Baby Mama shows are over. Crazy. And its so damn funny that MTV still has VMAs.

For me, 120 Minutes remains the quintessential MTV show. I fell in love with REM, Cocteau Twins, The Talking Heads, and so many other bands and artists who were truly, truly alternative back in the 80s. And of course, I believe it was 120 but it could have been Headbangers where I first saw Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Last edited:
What's funny too is that mtv will not acknowledge its own age. They never do anniversary shows for themselves. The idea is that mtv exists in a perpetual state of adolescense.

Other funny bit, if you're 20 you've always lived with mtv. You don't know life w/o its existence. You've also missed out on the golden age, when music video was a new art form just trying to figure itself out.

To mtv's credit, when they do countdowns of their 100 greatest videos of all time, they still have MJ, duran duran, madonna, etc in the top 10. These acts have not been displaced by timberlake or britney, et al. So there still is some recognition of its history.

The first hour is being re-broadcast at the moment. They've even included the original commercials. I knew Buggles was the first video, but the second was Pat Benatar and the 3rd Rod Stewart.

Back