Pick and chose (just cancelled my "Vader - Sith Aprentice" 12" figure)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sebcanadaceo

Super Freak
Reaction score
Someone on the waiting list for the non-attende "Vader - Sith Aprentice" 12" figure is going to be happy... I just cancelled mine.

I just have too many things going on right now.

There are so many characters in the Star Wars universe and Sideshow said they would try to do as many as possible (including backgroud characters), plus I'm also collecting the 12" LOTR figures...

I knew when they first announced "Luke" that I would have to pick and chose the ones that were "must haves" for me, there's no way I can get all of them. Not only for financial reasons but in terms of display space as well... I'm not buying these to keep them in the box forever.

As cool as this figure is, I've come to realize that he's not a "must have" for me. I already have the exclusive "Anakin" and he's great! This figure is basically the same except for the "eyes" and "base"... I'd rather save money and space for other figures that I "must have".

I already own regular "Luke" and exclusive "Anakin", I have on pre-order the exclusive version of all the other figures ("Obi-Wan", "Kit Fisto", "Han Solo", "Mace Windu", "Qui Gon Jinn") and of course, tonight "Darth Maul" will be added to that list. All of those are for me, "must haves" and will never be cancelled! I'm also looking forward to many, many other figures that I want that have yet to be announced.

Anyway, I hope the lucky person on the list who get's him is happy.

:maul :emperor

Re: Pick and chose (just cancelled my "Vader - Sith Aprentice" 12" figure)

That sucks. If I were you, I would've just gotten him and sold him to fund others that you deem must haves. You could easily pay for 2 other 12" with him. Sorry to hear but hopefully it's a board member that gets yours.

Its everyone's choice to decide what to do with their order reservations but I really think Sith Anakin will eventually be the most sought after figure of the entire line.

Plus the lava droid base is probably the best accessory so far (and can be used with regular Anakin which I plan to do since he didn't have the Sith eyes while on the droid.)

I would never, ever give up this figure and if I did, cancelling would be the last way to get rid of it. As mentioned above this is ebay fodder if ever there was one that could easily negate the cost of an additional two or even three figures (possibly more as years go by.)

What's the most iconic image of prequel greatness if not this one:

starwars3-8.jpg

The very definition of a must have figure. YMMV of course. :D

I'm not really the kind to sell him on Ebay for profit. I'd rather just cancel and have someone less fortunate get him (at a reasonnable price).

It's no big deal. Like I said, he's not a "must have" for me.

Khev said:
I would never, ever give up this figure and if I did, cancelling would be the last way to get rid of it. As mentioned above this is ebay fodder if ever there was one that could easily negate the cost of an additional two or even three figures (possibly more as years go by.)

I understand this sentiment, but cancelling is a much "kinder" way to go. It lets the waiting list work, which, if you've ever been on a SS waiting list, can seem like a fruitless endeavor until you get that magical "Your waitlist is being converted to an order" email! Then it's happy time. :chew

So even though I have mine, thanks to sebcanadaceo for not forcing another collector to go to ebay!

Polystoner said:
I understand this sentiment, but cancelling is a much "kinder" way to go.
True, and in that sense its a very nice thing to do for other collectors.

sebcanadaceo said:
I'm not really the kind to sell him on Ebay for profit. I'd rather just cancel and have someone less fortunate get him (at a reasonnable price).

You have my respect. :clap :bow :clap

thats nice of you man, but IMO you should've sold your regular exclusive anakin and kept your sith anakin. if you ever change your mind in the future the regular anakin would've been much easier to find.

I definitely appreciate and applaud that decision. Of course, now I wish I was closer to the front of the wait list :D

sebcanadaceo said:

Thanks, I am on the waitlist and this is THE must have figure for me.

its nice that you decided to cancel instead of flipping it on ebay, which gives the next person on the waitlist the chance of geting it. :maul

Too bad you had to cancel, but like others have stated, it was a nice gesture to cancel it, rather than ty to profit from the experience. I hope some good things come your way since you chose the high road!

Seaward said:
Too bad you had to cancel, but like others have stated, it was a nice gesture to cancel it, rather than ty to profit from the experience. I hope some good things come your way since you chose the high road!
Well its only the "high road" as far as the collecting community is concerned. He could have sold it on ebay and then used the hundred extra bucks to clothe some orphans or buy an old lady a new pair of glasses. :chew

Or he could have sold it on ebay, then buy TWO Darth Mauls and give them to two different forum members for free. :maul :monkey5

I read a quote in last weeks Question Mark at Rebelscum that kinda summed up how collecting should be, in a best of all possible worlds, when somebody posed the question about scalping, or using a nicer term, flipping.

have heard people call me a scalper and it may be true with selling on eBay to help pay for my collection. But what is so funny, I am being called a scalper by other people that are selling on eBay, and the stuff that I sell is from last year and they are selling the new stuff. If I am a scalper so be it, but please to the readers let them all know what your true opinion is on this so that I can copy it and place it on a Target door. -WRG

This can be a complex issue, but basically if you're buying toys at retail for the purpose of re-selling them for monetary gain, you're a scalper. Whether you bought the toys this year or in years past it makes little difference, if they were purchased to be re-sold for a profit, that's scalping. Bottom line; don't take more than you need for your personal collection, and don't ask other collectors to support your collecting habit. If you've got what you need, leave the rest for other collectors to find; the community will be much better off for it.

While I sorta disagree with toys bought in years past, as I have often collected a line for a while to grow tired of it, or choose to collect a new version of a line, I have sold my old collection to move in a new direction, but to purposefully order something with the sole drive of making a profit doesn't work for me personally

I am sad to hear you cancelled yours. THis will be my most anticipated SW figure yet. But you've got my respect for not selling it on ebay for a profit.

This can be a complex issue, but basically if you're buying toys at retail for the purpose of re-selling them for monetary gain, you're a scalper. Whether you bought the toys this year or in years past it makes little difference, if they were purchased to be re-sold for a profit, that's scalping. Bottom line; don't take more than you need for your personal collection, and don't ask other collectors to support your collecting habit. If you've got what you need, leave the rest for other collectors to find; the community will be much better off for it.

I disagree pretty strenuously with this. I'm not a reseller, but its not really anyone's place, IMO, to tell someone selling something on ebay in a reputable manner to try and make 'the community' better. Market forces drive up the price, after all. Its fair game...and I pay those prices, and am not independently wealthy(not a sob story). I missed all those things that are currently on the wait list, and am quite happy to pay in order to get them. That's how it works.

Eventually I'd like two of each figure so I can display with and without the over-robes - I'm getting the Sith Anakin for me Robe on Anakin. In most cases I'm going to try pick up the second off the secondary market here in Australia cos the postage from the US is a killer - its almost as much as the figure itself.

The real tragedy is that the shipping for one figure is the same as two - but I think the only time I've ever got two figures at the same time is the McLeod Highlander figures which released in pairs. The normal is to recieve a figure then get the ship notice for the next the following day - blowing $US40 in the process.

Back