Reading Suggestions

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairlesswookiee

PALPATINE CRUSADER!!!!
Reaction score
ok since i started reading Civil War this past weekend i am craving more. i've been out of the comics scene for over 15 years so i have no idea whats going on with who. can you guys give me some suggestions on storylines??
thanks in advance.

~~my favorites were always X-Men, Wolverine, Spiderman (any of them), Spawn, Star Wars, pretty much anything that was done by McFarlane.

:lol You beat me to it Hairless I was just going to post something similar. I've never read comics until the Star Wars clone wars ones and I really liked the first two so I was thinking of reading some X-Men comics, then I saw that a place I order books from is having a 3 for 2 sale on X-Men Trade Paper books.

Astonishing X-Men stands out to me since the storyline seems more or less similar to the most recent movie. And also The House of M sounds good, as does Age of Apocalypse, but I'm thinking I need to get acquainted with the X-Men outside of the movies and the Legends video games before reading any of the alternate universe type stories.

Also what's up with this Ultimate X-men Spiderman etc? It seems almost like going back and restarting the series or something...

Can't recommend Astonishing X-Men enough (it's the Joss after all). I'm certainly no expert as I only dip in to Marvel a little bit, but I'd think a new reader couldn't go wrong with the Ultimate lines. I've enjoyed everything I've read of Ultimates, U. Spiderman and U. X-men. I didn't like House of M or new or old Age of Apocalypse, but that could just be me.

Iread mostly Marvel, and I would suggest Ultimate Spidey and Fantastic Four, I'm not a huge fan of Ultimate X-Men, but it's pretty good too. Like Dave said, can't go wrong with Astonishing X-Men. New Avengers and Amazing Spider-Man have been really good recently too. Brian Michael Bendis's Daredevil was great, and it can be picked up in trades or HC. Also, the new Moon Knight has been pretty good. If you're into DC the 52 thing is pretty cool. I like the idea of a weekly comic.

hairlesswookiee said:
ok since i started reading Civil War this past weekend i am craving more. i've been out of the comics scene for over 15 years so i have no idea whats going on with who. can you guys give me some suggestions on storylines??
thanks in advance.

~~my favorites were always X-Men, Wolverine, Spiderman (any of them), Spawn, Star Wars, pretty much anything that was done by McFarlane.

I been collecting/reading comics for about 16 years now. It is still to this day my favorite hobby. Here are some suggestions:

Astonishing X-Men. The last movie should have been issues 6-12 of this title. It would have been MUCH better. The hardcover was release recently and I urge you to pick it up.

Ultimates. The only "ultimate" title I pick up as I don't like the alternate take on the characters. It reads better in hardcover format since the title is usually delayed.

Punisher. My favorite Marvel read on a monthly basis. It's raw storytelling with a lot of street based crime. The best move Marvel made was putting Punisher in a mature MAX imprint and letting Garth Ennis do his thing. AWESOME stuff.

Wolverine #42 was released recently and it's a good jumping on point. I love Humberto Ramos's stuff since Impulse so I may be a bit biased when it comes to his stuff. Some people hate the cartoony look but I love it.

Wolverine: Origins is a new series and deals with Logan getting revenge after House of M gave him all his memories back. So far is keeping my interest just to see where they are going with this. Yeah, Wolverine's identity is now known and he got his memories back. The character is no longer wrapped in mystery. Pick up the "Origin" trade by Paul Jenkins for the full scoop.

Powers. Another one that reads very well in trades. Awesome cop comic with two detectives that work in a world full of super-heroes.

Savage Dragon. In my opinion the only Image title worth picking up along with Invincible and Walking Dead.

If you are interested at all on DC I strongly recommend from the Vertigo imprint Fables, Y the Last Man and 100 Bullets. From the Wildstorm imprint I recommend Planetary and Ex Machina. Alll of these are SOLID pick ups as trades and you can't go wrong.

If you have any favorites in the superhero genre let me know and I'll recommend a few titles. Welcome back to comics by the way. :cool:

If you are looking to get back into comics the trade paperback route is the way to go. With todays horrid decompressed story telling trades are the only way to really enjoy most books. This is more prevelant at Marvel than DC but not by much.

For old school action right now you cant beat the HULK. Not quite the Hulk Smash you may remember but still an excellent action book.

I give a hearty second vote for the Punisher. Very well done.

Birds of Prey is a solid monthly title.

Daredevil is now so much better than the previous creative team. There is actually a coherent and interesting story going on.

AVOID ALL STAR BATMAN!!!!

All Star Superman is pretty good.

Wolverine origins has a good balance of story and action so far. Lots of "Snikt!" to make me happy.

I cannot recommend EXILES enough. a great book.

Civil War has been much better than I thought it would be and tons better than House of M which you should avoid like the plague. Please also avoid DCs Infinite Crisis. What started out great ended rather flat. Four issues of Wow, two issues of Ok, and one issue of umm is this the end????

Well I dont want to go through the whole roster of books. Like I said at the beginning start with the trades. Easier on your wallet and your mind.

I would recommend all the Ultimate titles. All are easily available in TPB form and you don't have to worry about 30 years of backstory to understand the characters. This is the major problem with not only most Marvel books but also DC.

Ultimate Spider-Man is the only book that is a little lacking. The book is still good but it's a little too slow-paced IMO.

I'll admit that when Marvel announced the Ultimate line I was 110% against it but I'll admit that I was wrong.

...pretty much anything that was done by McFarlane.

First thing you need to do though is go get an exorcism so that you can get that Mc FarCRAP out of your system. :emperor :emperor :emperor

:monkey3

Nothing against the Ultimate books themselves. I am more against the inability of writers to work with the characters in the regular Marvel universe. Saying the character's rich history is a problem is just lazy comic writting. For a period of time most of the best writers were doing only ultimate books. Regular Marvel books fans were getting short-changed.

So I don't have to worry too much about back stories and stuff, I can fairly well jump in where ever and read in whatever order and just piece everything together? That's good news. Also, am I understanding correctly that Ultimate X-men takes place out of the regular Marvel Universe or whatever? I'd prefer to read the mainstream. Thanks for all the information, I feel a little less overwhelmed with all the stuff out there now.

Agent0028 said:
So I don't have to worry too much about back stories and stuff, I can fairly well jump in where ever and read in whatever order and just piece everything together? That's good news. Also, am I understanding correctly that Ultimate X-men takes place out of the regular Marvel Universe or whatever? I'd prefer to read the mainstream. Thanks for all the information, I feel a little less overwhelmed with all the stuff out there now.

The Ultimate books all take place in an alternate Universe not the "regular" Marvel Universe. You still have to read the books in order but the advantage that the Ultimate titles have over the "regular" books is that you don't have to worry about the previous 100's or 1000's of back issues worth of storylines. Nowadays you need an encyclopedia just to understand the Marvel Universe.:rolleyes:

After looking on-line at the place having the 3 for 2 deal, my head is spinning. The Ultimate X-men are sounding pretty good. :lol

The only thing I've been reading recently is the "Ultimate Wolverine vs HULK", which is honestly one of the most fun books I've read in a long time. It's obviously nothing profound (as is clear from the title), but it's pretty fresh with it's intensity, the writing and art are both fantastic. I think it's currently only 3 issues into a 6-issue run.

i have been reading Street Fighter II by Udon Comics and it is great so far. The drawing is cool. THe story like is okay. :chew

I had been out of comics for well over 15 years as well more like 20 plus.. I still collected vintage comics to fill holes in my collection I have kept from my childhood.

The Marvel line from sideshow had inspired me to get a few subscriptions..

They have not come yet, but I ordered the Incred Hulk, AMaz Spiderman and I tried some thing new in The New Avengers..

Last edited:
Bodie The Cursed said:
I had been out of comics for well over 15 years as well.. I still collected vintage comics to fill holes in my collection I have kept from my childhood.

The Marvel line from sideshow had inspired me to get a few subscriptions..

They have not come yet, but I ordered the Incred Hulk, AMaz Spiderman and I tried some thing new in The New Avengers..

you need to put Civil War on that list.

TOE said:
i have been reading Street Fighter II by Udon Comics and it is great so far. The drawing is cool. THe story like is okay. :chew

I have the Street Fighter II book #1, but have they released any new ones yet? I bought this one last year, but haven't seen any new ones so far.

carbo-fation said:
I have the Street Fighter II book #1, but have they released any new ones yet? I bought this one last year, but haven't seen any new ones so far.

not sure if the ones i bought were new. I have SF #0, which is about the death on Master Gouken and also SF #3b, which is about Chun-li and Cammy meeting with Thunderhawk.

My comic store is really slow in getting the new Civil War comics so my brother and I went and get these and some other ones.

Back