Anyone know any tricks to take smoke smell out of hot toys figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolfPredatorAVPR

Super Freak
Reaction score
First id like to say, sorry if this has already been posted but I am horrible at searching the board and if this is in the wrong section I am sorry for that also. I did not know which else would be better. I purchased a Hot Toys Item on ebay and it has a horrible smoke smell, like its been in a house of chain smokers. I thought about requesting a refund it is so bad but I got the item for so much cheaper than they usually sell for I decided to just bear with it. Is there some sort of way to minimize this horrible smell or get rid of it all together with out wrecking the piece. I tried wiping it off with a wet rag very softly to see if it would pull some of that nasty smell off it but does not seem to have helped much. This piece is made out of mostly plastic and/ or resin, no cloth or anything like that.

Any suggestions?

I've had this happen, and just kept the figure away from me and let it air out. Over the course of time (maybe a month), it was gone. You might also try Febreze, but you never know how that might affect the figure.

I've heard in a zip lock bag with a fabric softener sheet will work.... I think a week or so?

This is what I've done... I removed all clothing, accessories, head, hands, etc. and placed all of these in Ziploc baggies with a dryer sheet inside.

So head and hands in one bag, body in a larger bag, clothing in its own bag (or two if there is a lot). Then let it sit for a few days, come back and it should be taken care of.

If not, repeat once or twice. The sheets seem to do a great job of absorbing the smell and leaving your collectibles smelling clothesline fresh :lol

I would avoid Febreeze as it can discolor some things... not very common, but I'd hate to find out on a $200+ piece :lol

This is what I've done... I removed all clothing, accessories, head, hands, etc. and placed all of these in Ziploc baggies with a dryer sheet inside.

So head and hands in one bag, body in a larger bag, clothing in its own bag (or two if there is a lot). Then let it sit for a few days, come back and it should be taken care of.

If not, repeat once or twice. The sheets seem to do a great job of absorbing the smell and leaving your collectibles smelling clothesline fresh :lol

I would avoid Febreeze as it can discolor some things... not very common, but I'd hate to find out on a $200+ piece :lol

I may try to do this, thanks for the suggestion

Washer.600pix.jpg

I had this happen with a Jack Sparrow i got off Ebay, I figured his smoke smell added to the authenticity ;) It was annoying and really strong but faded after a few months. You could still smell it if you stuck your nostril right to it.

Throw it in a bag of kitty liter.

I bought a computer bag that reeked of smoke and I threw it in a big bag of kitty liter for a week.

It took care of the problem 100%.

I've heard in a zip lock bag with a fabric softener sheet will work.... I think a week or so?

I've done that and it works. After a few days and a couple days of letting the figure air out near an open window and the smell is gone (and the figure smelled like an ash tray beforehand).

Were you warned in advance about that it was coming from a smoking home? If so I don't think theres grounds for complaint but in any case I don't think the smoke smell will be permanent. You could put it into a new figure's box for awhile to try giving it a bit of NTS.

I am gonna pick up some big zip lock bags at the grocery store tomorrow and start my mission to get this god awful smell out of it. The box is big and the packaging material smells horrible. I am wondering if I pack some dryer sheets inside it for a while if it will help clear the smell out of it also.

A-Dev, no warning at all. In fact, if I paid full price what they usually go for I would have returned it in a heartbeat. Considering I got it for such a good deal, it would be hard for me to send it back for this reason alone. Everything else is perfect condition, just the god awful smell that hopefully I can fix.

I've done a similar thing with a HT box. I'd separate the pieces (slip cover, main box, plastic trays, etc.) and put each one of them in a drawstring garbage back with a couple of dryer sheets.

Same deal with the smaller pieces, just let it sit for a few days and the sheets should absorb all the stank :duff

Sounds weird but try charcoal. Put a few sticks near the figure. I had someone transport something that smells really obnoxious in my car a few years ago and a few days of charcoal in the car got rid of the smell.

Back