Total Film Magazines top 10 sci-fi of all time

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wookster

Very foolish words man!
Reaction score
The poll decided-

1 Blade Runner (1982)

2 Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

3 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

4 Alien (1979)

5 Star Wars (1977)

6 ET: The Extra Terrestrial (1982)

7 Aliens (1986)

8 Inception (2010)

9 The Matrix (1999)

10 The Terminator (1984)

Link here-

https://www.totalfilm.com/features/the-50-greatest-sci-fi-movies-ever/blade-runner-1982-11#content

And here-

https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/movies/blade-runner-tops-scifi-film-poll-20110707-1h3ie.html

I'd have had Brazil, Metropolis, Forbidden Planet. Planet of the Apes in there, with honourory mentions to 12 Monkeys and Predator

I'd lose Inception and The Matrix and replace them with Brazil and Back to the Future.

Honorable mention to Moon and Robocop.

Usually I hate lists that magazines come up with but that one is actually pretty damn good. I think Close Encounters should be on there somewhere though.

I'd lose Inception and The Matrix and replace them with Brazil and Back to the Future.

Honorable mention to Moon and Robocop.

Usually I hate lists that magazines come up with but that one is actually pretty damn good. I think Close Encounters should be on there somewhere though.

Yeah, a big yay to Moon and Close Encounters. But even though Brazil is a fave of mine, I would have thought that Planet of the Apes would have made it in over Inception.

It's a stretch to call some of those films "Sci-Fi".

Only Inception IMO, since it isn't clear if the entire movie is simply a dream or sci-fi gadgets really are supposed to exist within that realm of reality.

All the rest are definately Sci-Fi.

Only Inception IMO, since it isn't clear if the entire movie is simply a dream or sci-fi gadgets really are supposed to exist within that realm of reality.

All the rest are definately Sci-Fi.

I'm not sure I'd call ET Sci-Fi.

pretty good list. blade runner would be top of my list too.

also surprised inception is in there. predator, robocop, 12 monkeys all great choices. i would have said moon too, coz i love it, but i think it's one of those that will only be truly recognized in years to come.

do they mention if it was only live-action? if not, i'd love to have seen either ghost in the shell or akira in there.

I'm not surprised by the top 10 list since the results were comprised of reader(?) votes. They're all well-known films that usually nab top spots. It's a shame that there isn't a place for smaller, lesser known titles in the top ten, but that's how a list like this works.

Personally, I have no issue with any of the films on there. They're all pretty great, but if I were remove one, it'd be Inception. It's too new and I don't think it holds up to repeat viewings.

I'm not sure I'd call ET Sci-Fi.

An Alien is left behind on earth and forms basically a mind meld with a boy that allows them to share feelings, fly on a bike, etc, thats pretty Sci-Fi.

Having said that I personally think while it does have a huge cultural impact and alot of people still know E.T. or "E.T. phone home", there are far better movies in the genre, Close Encounters even being one of them also by Steven.

Having said that I personally think while it does have a huge cultural impact and alot of people still know E.T. or "E.T. phone home", there are far better movies in the genre, Close Encounters even being one of them also by Steven.

I would agree that Close Encouters is a superior film.

Also, any top 10 sci-fi list that doesn't include The Thing is instant bs for me.

An Alien is left behind on earth and forms basically a mind meld with a boy that allows them to share feelings, fly on a bike, etc, thats pretty Sci-Fi.

I guess I just think of my sci-fi as more science than cute little lizard with a light up finger. ET is no way on the same sci-fi level as 2001 or Close Encounters or Star Ware or Star Trek.

Bladerunner and ESB over 2001?? Whatever.

zwc0rnr.gif

Back