To re-release or not to re-release, that is the question?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snazaro

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Hello to all fellow freaks…..

Not sure if this has been covered before and do apologise if it has…..

With all the current hype about the new Hot Toys Batman Dark Knight original costume version being re-released there were questions on what do collectors think they may be next?

So not wanting to stray from the original discussion I thought I would start a new thread and ask you guys and gals your veiws?

Not just Hot Toys related products but if you had the choice what versions of your favourite collectables would you like to see re-released and what improvements would you like to see? Not figures that have never been covered but re-releases?

I will start the ball rolling and say we defiantly need a re-release of a Hot Toys T-800 endo skeleton and perhaps even a new battle damaged T-800. I know these figures are very rare and can cost a fortune on the bay…… Just imagine a new battle damaged T-800.….. Not like the very first version Hot Toys now have the rights to use a true likeness of Arnold and this would be a dream come true. They did it on the Marcus Wright collectable so come on HT give us the ultimate Terminator please……….

Now I know there may be some controversial thoughts about re-releases and comments that this could take out some of the exclusivity of owning the first versions and how we paid through the nose to get them. I myself have the original endo and battle damaged T-800 and they cost me a lot to own but I would love to see what a company like Hot Toys could do with this line taking into consideration all the improvements in technology not to mention the skills of the master sculptors.

Many thanks for reading this and it would be great to know your thoughts on this?

Regards

Snaz

Variants are fine so long as they don't take precedence over follow-up releases, but a company should never re-release the same exact figure... I'm looking at YOU Medicom! :nono

Doesn't bother me if they re-release something or not. I collect for the item, not secondary market value.

And the new Begins Batman is not a re-release.

"To re-release or not to re-release, that is the question?"

If perfection can be achieved with consecutive re-releases, wouldn't mind. But as far as collectibles are concerned, that too the rare ones, people who own it may feel bad when a 'better' version comes out; especially when they paid big bucks to accquire it.

Personally, I would want the ones which I missed out on to be re-released e.g.: IM Mk I and a much required/better Mk III BD ;)

Not wanting to offend perhaps re-release is not the correct term. Variant is good with me. As stated before it's about how you people would like to see improvements or changes to an already released figure to make it better or more desirable. If you had the power what would you change?

"To re-release or not to re-release, that is the question?"

If perfection can be achieved with consecutive re-releases, wouldn't mind. But as far as collectibles are concerned, that too the rare ones, people who own it may feel bad when a 'better' version comes out; especially when they paid big bucks to accquire it.

Personally, I would want the ones which I missed out on to be re-released e.g.: IM Mk I and a much required/better Mk III BD ;)

I paid $400 for OC Bats and that's nobody else's stupid fault but my own. People like me shouldn't whine and moan when they didn't - for whatever reason - pick up a figure MSRP only to then find that a figure that's essentially a 're-release' or 'variant' is brought out sometime down the track. It's circles and roundabouts.

I always want to see improved re-releases because the bar keeps getting raised.

I mean, does anyone really wish that the DX Joker and DX Batman never happened?

(well I mean minus those that got burned by leaking rubber....but you know what I mean)

I always want to see improved re-releases because the bar keeps getting raised.

I mean, does anyone really wish that the DX Joker and DX Batman never happened?

(well I mean minus those that got burned by leaking rubber....but you know what I mean)

Too bad those are variants, not re-releases. :moon

4602_1.jpg

An example of a re-release would be Medicom's Winter Festival exclusive MGS Snake Zombie. Was limited to 500 pieces. Medicom later re-released the figure to the general masses.

If a company is capable of releasing an improved version then I say 100% go for it every time. It's about staying cutting edge. The companies that stand still go backwards. This is a collectors medium, for the love of it... NEVER invest in these things to retire on, it's a fools gold (remember cabbage patch kids and beanie babies).
I'd love to see Robo-Cop, ED 209 and the ALIENS marines get a makeover from HT, sure it would wipe hundreds of $'s from the value of my old ones, but we'd be getting a better product. Likewise I'm sure SS will bring out better Vaders and Stormtroopers soon, as they should, and Enterbay will release Bruce Lee ad nauseum!
You don't hear people _____in about all the bot variants from 3A, and rightly so, it's a business, no one makes 'you' a completeist. Just learn to be satisfied with your choices, hindsight is a dangerous thing.

An example of a re-release would be Medicom's Winter Festival exclusive MGS Snake Zombie. Was limited to 500 pieces. Medicom later re-released the figure to the general masses.

Yeah I get what you mean.
Thread starter is referring to the new Toy Fair Batman and actually said halfway down page 1 that he meant variants, so I'm talking along those lines.

Is it right for HT (or anyone) to release new improved versions of figures they'd previously released, crashing the value of older versions?

I vote yes.

wouldn't mind if the sum_____ was easy to get.

personally, i think HT are getting kinda boring. the figures i get are still superb but i don't outright love them like i used to. iron man variant upon variant, reluctance to go anywhere with a lot of their licenses... kinda lame. the new batman is great, but most of the figure is untouched. would have liked to see them actually take a shot at that horrible cape, or the shape of the cowl etc. it's a variant, but only just.

4602_1.jpg

It's funny I'm honestly not against straight re-releases. For instance I'd have no objections seeing HT doing a straight re-release of Midnight Wesker (who fetches anywhere from $400 to $600 nowdays on Ebay) despite already owning the figure myself. But that's just me.

I think one updated version your likely to see in the future is a new Christopher Reeve Superman.

don't get me wrong, i think its an amazing figure and i have pre-ordered one but i was always suprised considering the interest, they could have made it a DX, or given him so many more accessories - a clark kent suit like when they provided the police officer oufit for the DX Joker.

For me, this has got updated re-release written all over it especially when they see the sales but i bet this was agreed way before.

I think one updated version your likely to see in the future is a new Christopher Reeve Superman.

don't get me wrong, i think its an amazing figure and i have pre-ordered one but i was always suprised considering the interest, they could have made it a DX, or given him so many more accessories - a clark kent suit like when they provided the police officer oufit for the DX Joker.

For me, this has got updated re-release written all over it especially when they see the sales but i bet this was agreed way before.

Chances are there can be another version of Reeves Superman, and the fact that it is not a DX it increases the possiblities even more.

About this entire re-release / new version thing, it is important to note that their is Always a possibility of improvement. It is because everybody can never be satisfied at the same time! No matter how good a thing is you Will have some idea to make it better. And, when it comes to Super-Heroes, things get worse; because they are 'Perfect!' We won't accept the Batman or Supes with anything less than what they stand for, powers, ability, et al; then how can we accept a 'disproportionate' Hot Toys Reeves jawline as compared with the real Reeves', or the mouth and nose of Bale? :)

Guess just like Beauty, Perfection also lies in the eyes of beholder. The severe my stickler for perfection (for my figures), the more my craving for a better version / re-release all the time!

"A fool and their money are soon parted"

If you pay $700 for a figure than it's because you want it. If it comes out a few months later as a variant then did I all of a sudden not want it? I paid $400 for Patient Zero, the largest amount I paid for a 1/6 figure and if Sideshow suddenly relaunched THE DEAD and came out with PZ again even only slightly changed I wouldn't regret my purchase because I wanted it back then.

If I have the funds by the end of the year I'll be grabbing a Mark I looking to spend about $550 for it. If they release a Mark I a few months after, better and improved I'll buy that too.

HT released variants on figures that exist it help keep secondary values down which despite popular opinion isn't exactly a bad thing. Even Medicom blantantly re-releasing figures doesn't really bother me. I buy what I like and what I want and if I spent too much then shame on me for not getting it when it originally came out.

If a company is capable of releasing an improved version then I say 100% go for it every time. It's about staying cutting edge. The companies that stand still go backwards. This is a collectors medium, for the love of it... NEVER invest in these things to retire on, it's a fools gold (remember cabbage patch kids and beanie babies).
I'd love to see Robo-Cop, ED 209 and the ALIENS marines get a makeover from HT, sure it would wipe hundreds of $'s from the value of my old ones, but we'd be getting a better product. Likewise I'm sure SS will bring out better Vaders and Stormtroopers soon, as they should, and Enterbay will release Bruce Lee ad nauseum!
You don't hear people _____in about all the bot variants from 3A, and rightly so, it's a business, no one makes 'you' a completeist. Just learn to be satisfied with your choices, hindsight is a dangerous thing.

Yeah I agree but i'd stress that highlighted bit

DX Joker and DX Bats were certain improvements over the standard releases, hence i'm ALL for it.

This new Batman though, while yes there is the switchable face plates and the massively improved CB likenes, the batsuit and cowl is still the same! HT is capable of improving on both without a doubt and they really should have done that IMO.

Back