Amazing 1/3 scale Chris Reeve Superman costume for BobbyC's upcoming statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cking

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share these pics of the AMAZING 1/3 scale Superman costume which I have commissioned for use on BobbyC's upcoming 1/3 scale Christopher Reeve as Superman statue.

This costume is the first prototype that has been made and the belt, sleeves and collar are still work in progress. The body form was created by Bob for the costume makers to tailor the costume but the final pose is still to be confirmed.

This costume has been constructed in the same way as the original costume. It is an incredible achievement that the costume makers have been able to create the "S" emblem in the chest by sewing it IN to the tunic (rather than just sticking a patch on the top of the costume).

The fabric colours used on this miniature costume have been matched to an original Reeve costume.

BobbyC-CKing-Costume1.jpg

BobbyC-CKing-Costume2.jpg

BobbyC-CKing-Costume3.jpg

Chris

Last edited:
:lol yeah CM was a nice ___ to buy...

Lookin' forward for the final result of this project.

Last edited:
Nope. Body is an all new sculpt and has been made to match Chris Reeve's measurements (only 3 times smaller).
You may want to check out the multitude of pics from Superman the Movie which are in the Gallery on www.capedwonder.com to see that this truly is the most accurately proportioned Reeve statue produced to date.

I can't wait to see what this looks like with the Silicone head on it!

Chris

Costume is excellent. However the body looks like the one from his Joker, too thinny for Reeve Id say. Otherwise excellent! :rock

Wow... that is some serious stuff right there. I wager you'll have the best Reeve once its all said and done :duff

And for the record I can't stand the CM piece; just looks like a mess.

Perfection. If you hadn't mentioned it was 1/3 scale I would have sworn it was full size and actual prop from the movie. Bobby sets a very high standard!

That is simply perfect in every way.

Would fool anyone into believing it was 1:1.

Congratulations. Any more projects this artist has worked on?

I'll be first to say it too......1/6 anyone? :monkey3

Looks Great!! Any Chance of you selling the costumes by themselves? Would look great for customs!

Sorry - these costumes are exclusive to Bobby's 1/3 statue. They will not be sold on their own.

Regarding the boots - the costume makers have said that they can actually make them in leather but I have some reservations about that because I don't see how all the distinctive "wrinkles" that Reeve had in his boots will be achieved and they will look out of scale. I've urged Bob to go with sculpted boots so that he can perfectly recreate the appearance of the boots. By the time they're painted, I'm sure you won't be able to tell that they're not real.

Chris

Looks Great!! Any Chance of you selling the costumes by themselves? Would look great for customs!

Was the original done in leather? you are probably right that in 1/3 scale it won't behave similarly as in true scale. maybe a material that looks like leather but thinner in material to get the folds right? Going the sculpted route for the boots might feel more of a compromise. I think Bobby is doing this in silicone and punched hair, right? Getting the material for the costume, even the stitching for the crest done similarly is just too awesome and then to get to the boots and realize its a hard sculpt would seem off for me. Of course, I'm not one of the lucky clients that this would go to. I just drool and turn green in envy.

Does Bobby have a full size Reeve superman in his collection? I recall him doing an earlier life scale bust but not sure if he made a full body. Even his recent life size bust, i don't know if he did the full body.

Last edited:
Yes, Reeve's original boots were made from "glove" leather which is a really thin, soft leather.
Even with the best stitching in the world, the fact that the FULL SIZE boots were made from "glove" leather means that the 1/3 versions can't be made from the same type because they would look out of scale. The sculpted boots would look best in my opinion because all of the wrinkles and details can be sculpted into them at the correct scale. When the statue is on display in an acrylic case, it won't matter if the boots aren't real leather in my opinion.

Chris

Yes, Reeve's original boots were made from "glove" leather which is a really thin, soft leather.
Even with the best stitching in the world, the fact that the FULL SIZE boots were made from "glove" leather means that the 1/3 versions can't be made from the same type because they would look out of scale. The sculpted boots would look best in my opinion because all of the wrinkles and details can be sculpted into them at the correct scale. When the statue is on display in an acrylic case, it won't matter if the boots aren't real leather in my opinion.

Chris

True and Bobby is definitely skilled enough to pull it off.

Back