Anyone else getting a "1978" vibe here?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khev

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Okay nothing will ever truly match the "magic" of finding those first vintage figures and turning the card over to see all the new figures that were being released for each movie, to say nothing of the joy of feverishly ripping them out of their packages and playing with them for hours on end.

But there was something cool and different about opening my Jedi Luke the other day. It was Luke but also just something totally new. The fact that a figure of such quality even existed was awesome, and going through the accessories and pose options, testing out the joints, monkeying with the cloak and lightsaber, was a bit like Christmas Day 1978-84.

I felt like Indiana holding the golden idol for the first time.

My enjoyment and anticipation for all future figures has grown exponentially and part of me just feels like a kid again.... :blissy

congrats on the acquisition guys!!! i know how you feel... last saturday i received my first PF and when i started opening him up my girlfriend came over and started helping and i yelled at her like a little kid. she said i was like an 8 year on christmas morning. there is nothing better than finally getting that much desired item finally in your grasp!!!!

I have this with every new collectible I buy.

When I'm getting it out of the box it feels like christmas or birthday. And I am so proud of owning a collectible of such a high-quality:cool:

I'm freakishly protective of my collectibles (not toys, mind you). Having said that, yes.....after the disappointment that is the hallmark of most Hasblow's products, I would say, once again, I feel like a six year old again.

I love my SW PF figures. I really do. However, it's the 12" line that is really awakening the inner child in me. In the privacy of my collection room, I like changing the poses of both father and son and putting on the cloak and taking it off (I don't know whether what I just said sounded indecent!). Simply put, I like me Luke and Ani. So bring on Fisto, Obi and the rest! And the Sith too!

It's fair to say that the Sideshow figures are the most anticipated Star Wars items I've bought since getting the vintage figures as a kid and they have probably helped keep my intrest in Star Wars alive as I had grown bored of all the medicore Hasbro merchandise and was contemplating collecting something else when the first pics of Jedi Luke surfaced.

dunedain said:
I have this with every new collectible I buy.

When I'm getting it out of the box it feels like christmas or birthday. And I am so proud of owning a collectible of such a high-quality:cool:

Yeah, pretty much! Last night when I opened Anakin I was working with him trying to decide how to pose him.....first no robe w/ 2 saber hands.....no, don't like that, then no robe 1 saber hand, one straight hand...better, but lets try the robe....on goes the robe....I like it, but did I like it with the robe off more? Off goes the robe.....nope, I like it ON more so back ON goes the robe.....Only took me 45 min to get him how I like him and on the shelf and I loved every min of it.

Luke was the figure I was th emost anxious to get. Other sideshow figures that I've gotten, 12" and PF, I was very excited to get, as people mention it really is like Christmas morning. But waiting for Luke was seeing the presents under the tree in October and still having to wait for the end of December.

Khev said:
Okay nothing will ever truly match the "magic" of finding those first vintage figures and turning the card over to see all the new figures that were being released for each movie, to say nothing of the joy of feverishly ripping them out of their packages and playing with them for hours on end.

But there was something cool and different about opening my Jedi Luke the other day. It was Luke but also just something totally new. The fact that a figure of such quality even existed was awesome, and going through the accessories and pose options, testing out the joints, monkeying with the cloak and lightsaber, was a bit like Christmas Day 1978-84.

I felt like Indiana holding the golden idol for the first time.

My enjoyment and anticipation for all future figures has grown exponentially and part of me just feels like a kid again.... :blissy

You hit the nail on the head. There's something very nostaglic about these SSC Star Wars 12-inch figs. Brings me back to 1977 and opening the Kenner 12-inch Luke on Christmas morning or buying my first 3 3/4 figs (Stormtrooper and Chewie). My Star Wars collection was my prized possession throughout my childhood years and this kind of brings it all back.

I am probably a little too young to be getting a "1978" vibe, but I will certainly say that this current wave of Sideshow stuff, with Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, has certainly renewed my passion for collecting and even checking the message boards reminds me of paging through the Sears wishbook in the early 80's!
I collected the LOTR polystone when it was offered, as higher-end toys simply weren't available, and the Toybiz stuff, while nice, didn't really do much for me. Now that we are getting toys that look as nice as a statue, but have the playability and poseability of toys for a really decent price, I can't wait to line my shelves with more of these figures!

All I know is that my 23 years old wife neglecs me after seeing the Luke 12". She is a big original SW fan. She even hugged David Prowse for a long time at the con last year. I was just a bit jealous :maul

Well I too wasn't even around for 1978 but I think I understand your meaning. I have collected SW crap all of my life and I have never have been this excited since the days of Kenner. Seriously I was getting so burnt out on Hasblow, and then came along GG, Medicom, and SS and things have been great ever since. So in a sense I feel you man, these 12" dollies are awesome and if you can swing the PF that would make it all the better.

I definitely get the vintage vibe. It also happened in 1995 when the Power of the Force figures started coming out. I literally felt like a little kid when my wife came home from shopping and gave me a Han Solo figure she saw. She thought I might like it. Little did she know that it would restart my SW collecting habits!

I haven't been a SW collector since selling all my original vintage Kenner 3 3/4 figures when I turned 18. But I remember being excited just getting the promissary gift certificate for the first figures since they weren't ready for Christmas after the movie came out. Can you imagine that happening today?

SSC drew me back in with the PFs and now I'm collecting everything SW I can find - it's a curse I tells ya!

WOW... you guys, I just don't know what to say. This is a great compliment! I am a little too young to remember the 1978 days, but I do remember right after Empire and Jedi came out. Seriously, I'm speechless that you would compare it to those halcyon days of Star Wars toys and collecting! Seriously, it's the best compliment we could ever hope for, so thank you. :r2d2line :bow :chew :grouphug :duff

DekeStarkiller said:
Well I too wasn't even around for 1978 but I think I understand your meaning. I have collected SW crap all of my life and I have never have been this excited since the days of Kenner. Seriously I was getting so burnt out on Hasblow, and then came along GG, Medicom, and SS and things have been great ever since. So in a sense I feel you man, these 12" dollies are awesome and if you can swing the PF that would make it all the better.

Yeah, I'm too young to feel the '78 vibe, but I totally understand what you mean. I felt like I did when I was a kid and I got my first Vader and Luke figs.

And my fiance is the funniest woman alive.... she just sits there like my Mom used to, giggling and watching me tinker with these figures for 45 minutes until I have him exactly the way I want him. It's the greatest.

And these collectibles are the best I've seen for SW, and I have seriously been hoarding stuff since I could walk. Sideshow is the cat's pajamas....:cool:

Last night I got a chance to check out Luke and Anakin after work, and was immediately returned to younger days. When I was a kid, I remember trying to set as many rebel troops against my AT-At that I could find. Since my parents weren't in the habit of buying army builders, oftentimes GI Joe would join in the fight against the Empire. I would gather as many creatures and aliens to fill up Jabba's Palace, borrowing from my brother's Buck Rogers figures.
These new Star Wars toys, these are as good as I remember the old Kenner line being through the haze of nostalgia. I always think back to how cool the Kenner ine was, but am reminded how they are when I see a friend's loose vintage collection. Not that they were bad, but I always thought that they looked exactly how everything looked on the screen, and for the most part, Sideshow has finally achieved that. So many thanks to everyone at Sideshow, and everytime I preorder, get a shipping notice, or finally get a new figure waiting in his brown box at my doorstep, I will be immediately returned to the sheer joy of taking a trip down the aisle at Toys'r'Us, hoping I might get a new figure!

SideshowDusty said:
WOW... you guys, I just don't know what to say. This is a great compliment! I am a little too young to remember the 1978 days, but I do remember right after Empire and Jedi came out. Seriously, I'm speechless that you would compare it to those halcyon days of Star Wars toys and collecting! Seriously, it's the best compliment we could ever hope for, so thank you. :r2d2line :bow :chew :grouphug :duff

Dusty,

As good as it feels for you to hear this, just think about how good it feels for us 30 somethings to have that "kid" feeling back again! :chew

Back