PF -vs- 12in. : Is it one or the other?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyAndFight

©Fly, All rights reserved
CF Supporter
Reaction score
For some time now I've read many posts where people say that because such and such character was represented in one format, it would not be done in the other format for at least some time. My question is why not?

Why would a Jedi Luke being done in 12" format affect the release of a PF Jedi Luke?? These are two different formats and for the most part, two different breeds of collectors.

Has Sideshow made an official statement inregards to this? I haven't seen it and was wondering if it's purely speculation run amok or if it's indeed echoing Sideshow's policy.

With the coming announcement of a 12" Darth Maul does that mean that the PF fans hoping for a Maul are out of luck? Just curious.

HeHe, When first read the title I thought you were talking about collectors and the first thing that popped in my head was;

YUP!

12" = married

PF = divorced

FlyAndFight said:
When? Where? and most importantly, why? :emperor

i don't recall when and where, maybe you can check rebelscum's interviews?:confused:

anyway, they said they only wanted to have one version of each character on the market at a time. i think they used ANH han as an example. they said don't expect a 12 inch ANH han anytime soon, as they don't want to overlap with their premium format figure.

i guess they don't want folks saying, i'll wait for the cheaper 12 inch figure.:confused:

I just base my thoughts on the general trend of things, the 12" line seems to be heavily filled by the PT, while the PF is almost entirely OT.

I can understand them not wanting to have two ANH Han's out at the same time, but I don't think that it would cause one to sell less than the other. Some people buy only PF's and other buy only 12". I buy both but only one character, but that's decided long before the figures are announced, I'm getting a PF Maul so no 12" Maul even if it means waiting a loooong time. So really I don't know if one would cause the other to not sell.

JustinLuck said:
People who can afford the PFs usually buy the 12" as well.

Very true. I buy them for my daughter's collection. She's slowly clearing out her Hasbro 12" collection too.

I think its a bad idea; I have no interest in a dressed statue. The PFs don't fit in with what I do collect. 1/6 scale figures. Therefore, none of the PFs get any of my money. So, Sideshow lost business they would have had. That being said, I won't blindly buy the 1/6 product either. Kit Fisto? Never heard of 'im. :D

They do appeal to different types of collectors, but they haven't said that if it's made in PF it will never be made as a 1/6, just that they'll be spaced far apart.

It makes sense too - from their perspective working on the same character in two difference lines at the same time would be kind of boring. It could also confuse the less diehard collector. And with SW there is such a rich smorgasbord of characters that there is really no point. I'd think with LotR it will be tougher as there aren't as many "must have" characters.

Tough call. I am still on the fence on the P.F. , I really love the Lurtz from LOTR (and some of the Star Wars, but, I don't collect SW), just don't know if I can spend $350 on him, after all the SS/Weta pieces I have bought the last couple years, I was kinda looking forward to a break ($$$).

And, the 12" are Ok, but the more I think about it, I honestly don't think they are for me...

If I didnt buy props I could afford those damn PFs... :pow

I pre-ordered the exclusive PF Dagobah Luke, but I'm not going to end up buying him. Just too expensive for one figure, err statue.

So, like many, I only collect 12 inchers. So what's released as a PF has no bearing on who I want to see or purchase in the 12 inch line. Hopefully "Dagobah" Luke is considered a completely separate character from Bespin Luke so we can see him in 1/6 scale.

I think the Marvels were the first PFs announced after the Vampyre and Frankenstein, long before Premium Format Figure became a term even. I had never been even remotely attracted to buying statues and I dismissed them completely of even being worthy of consideration. I got the Vampyre on sale, just cause it was a good deal, never intending to collect the scale. Picked up Frankenstein's monster long after it's release when I saw it in a store on sale.

Then I saw Green Goblin at SDCC. And they announced the Star Wars line. I was dead. I still buy all the 12", they're a lot of fun. But the detail acheivable at 1/4 scale is so much better than 1/6 that I can look at the PFs long after I've lost interested in coming up with new poses for the 1/6 figure.

Last edited:
For me, PFs were a natural progression to collecting. I collect and love the 12" figures, but the PFs really are on another level. I think seeing one in person would convert anyone.

Back