The Five Stages of Star Wars Fandom

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never been a hardcore Star Wars geek, but I did love the original films as a kid (and still do). Though I've never cared enough to go through those kinds of stages or any equivalent, I really am uninterested and indifferent about the Special Edition, prequel, and CG cartoon stuff. I don't hate Lucas, because none of this really affects my feelings toward the original films, which is all I care about. So what if he wants to cash in on nostalgia after any real creative spark has left the guy? Some people like it, power to them.

I just wish he would re-master the original films in high def. Is that really too much to ask?

Psssssh. I loved the OT and thought the prequels accomplished what they needed to although I would have liked them to have been longer.

I still love it and collect it. Still read and buy the novels, comics, etc.

I guess that just makes me a happy addict who wishes more sequels were on the horizon or maybe even prequels going back to KOTOR?

:dunno

I'm kinda bored of people writing about how they were great fans etc then the prequels destroyed it all etc

My own fandom waned in the 80s came back in the 90s and continues to change now
Is the Pt perfect nope was the ot? No
Nor is the expanded universe or the clone wars

And some people - whispers this just grow out of it.

Not me thou and I'm 38

Last edited:
I'm been a Star Wars fan since I can remember and I don't really relate to this guy probably because I'm a rose colored glasses kind of fan with just about everything. I accept what I like, ignore what I don't and carry on with my life. I love parts of the OT but not all of it, I like parts of the PT but not all of it, I can accept certain pieces of EU (very little) but refuse to acknowledge some. I could care less what Lucas says is canon and isn't, although it's fun to piss off fanboys by using that argument.

The movies even run together in my head as one long thing where I just sort of cliff's notes together the parts I like. There are even times where I watch AOTC for example and forget somethings happened or ANH for that matter. I don't even remember the last time I sat through an entire running time for one of the films. I know a ton of useless trivia and have merchandising from the film but I wouldn't say I feel into one of the traps that the author is claiming. Hell I look back fondly at the prequel midnight showings because I attended every single one with my brother and two with the woman who would become my wife. Literally if you went into my head and pulled out the ROTS file to play it'd probably run about 70 minutes. :lol

I just figured most fans were more on that line than the extreme...:dunno

I also was a SW Fan as far back as I can imagine, but everything Ive looked forward to since, SW Prequels, like since they were just rumors in 1990, a 4th Indy, have always been major let downs. I really do hate even the originals now and I was the OG Star Wars geek as a kid. Now I actually would consider myself a bigger Trek fan. The new movie was so far superior to anything SW even came close to achieving with the new ones it's not even funny. At least looking forward to when Lucas dies is something that can't let me down. It will be the end of his ability to bastardize the material any further.

He really has become the story of Darth Vader and the Emporer, and I personally will be celebrating a little much like the end of Return of the Jedi when the evil corrupt old man finally has fallen.

The only thing that could ever redeem the prequels and truely bring me satisfaction is if Speilberg himself throws Lucas down an elevator shaft.

Star Wars will always hold a special place in my heart. It was what I loved as a child and to this day I still love every second of those films. The Special Edition additions and Prequel Trilogy films will never change the sense of wonderment that I felt as a child (that I still carry with me). My Star Wars is still about Luke Skywalker and his friends overcoming evil a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. I'm fully capable of loving the originals while being indifferent towards the PT and CW. I enjoy the parts of those that remind me of the OT and simply ignore the rest. Was I disappointed in regards to the PT? Yes. But there's not reason to have that overall disappointment ruin something I love.

I've never been a hardcore Star Wars geek, but I did love the original films as a kid (and still do). Though I've never cared enough to go through those kinds of stages or any equivalent, I really am uninterested and indifferent about the Special Edition, prequel, and CG cartoon stuff. I don't hate Lucas, because none of this really affects my feelings toward the original films, which is all I care about. So what if he wants to cash in on nostalgia after any real creative spark has left the guy? Some people like it, power to them.

I just wish he would re-master the original films in high def. Is that really too much to ask?

Agreed. This is me as well.

I'm been a Star Wars fan since I can remember and I don't really relate to this guy probably because I'm a rose colored glasses kind of fan with just about everything. I accept what I like, ignore what I don't and carry on with my life. I love parts of the OT but not all of it, I like parts of the PT but not all of it, I can accept certain pieces of EU (very little) but refuse to acknowledge some. I could care less what Lucas says is canon and isn't, although it's fun to piss off fanboys by using that argument.

I really became a bigger SW fan as I was getting ready to become a teenager. So I'm a late bloomer as far as SW fandom goes. I'm like you though in that I love parts of the OT and not all same goes with the PT. For me I see as many of the same issues in both that some can't admit to themselves. Some of the EU is pretty damn good but not most of it and I enjoy the CW series because they're damn cool. Like you said I enjoy parts and ignore what I don't like. I don't take SW that damn seriously and it wasn't meant to.

Lucas screwed up with the prequels. It is really hard to deny that. He had an opportunity to add to one of the most important fantasies of the last century and he made some mistakes that diminish the impact of the Star Wars saga. However, it isn't all bad. I have still found many things to enjoy with the prequels and I actually enjoy all of the movies overall. Additionally, I doubt I will ever experience as much anticipation for a movie as I did for the Phantom Menace (and to some extent the latter two as well). The experience of rushing into Toyrus and grabbing the last 12 inch Darth Maul figure at the midnight toy launch was such a wonderful moment as was pouring over the theatrical trailers and sitting in a crowded theater among like minded fans. For those experiences, I am truly grateful to Lucas.

I like Star Wars, want some of character figures and play the games and such but that is about it.

I've seen all versions of the live action movies in the theaters multiple times, but movies, both PT and OT, aren't that great and are not the pedestal movies fans make them out to be. They are fun and entertaining, but that is about it.

Luca$ can do whatever he wants with the movies, doesn't bother me.

And the guy in the article waking up from sleep with hate on for TPM, yea, right.

Back