Ikea Detolf

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nothingface35

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm jumping into the world of detolfs for the first time and just had a few questions. Are there really any differences in quality with them in regards to different brands, etc? Are they sturdy enough on their own of is it recommended to fasten them to the wall? Any particular brand that is recommended? I'm running out of space and have seen some awesome collections on this site that all use them. There's an IKEA very close to me and I was thinking of picking some up there. Any insight would be greatly appreciated and thanks!! :wave

Ikea makes the Detolf. I'm not sure what you mean by different "brands".

There's no need to fasten them to the wall, as they are free standing and quite sturdy. They are not like bookshelves.

I highly recommend them. They are inexpensive, look very nice and make great display cases.

Ikea makes the Detolf. I'm not sure what you mean by different "brands".

There's no need to fasten them to the wall, as they are free standing and quite sturdy. They are not like bookshelves.

I highly recommend them. They are inexpensive, look very nice and make great display cases.

I thought the detolf was a 'type' of something, like a curio cabinet or shelving unit. I didn't know that it was an Ikea patented name.

Thanks for the info guys.

can't beat the Detolf for the price. if i had an IKEA nearby i'd buy about a dozen of these. i do have 5 of them though. they are really sturdy. shouldn't need to anchor them.

Has the price of a detolf jumped for anyone else? They used to be $59.99 in my neighborhood here in CT, now they're $64.99.

what are you displaying BTW? figures or statues? some statues might be too heavy. the shelves are just glass sheets.

Nothing too heavy. Primarily Hot Toys Predator/Alien figures. I also have some of the smaller Sideshow Alien/Predator stuff. I saw that they can support 13 pounds per shelf so I'll make sure I'm lower than that! Thanks for the heads up man.

You should have no problem with displaying figures.

My fear is not with the glass shelves but with the welded spots on the frames that hold the shelves. I wouldn't risk putting a statue weighing anywhere near the supposed 13 pound limit.

Has the price of a detolf jumped for anyone else? They used to be $59.99 in my neighborhood here in CT, now they're $64.99.

Ouch. I was just at that New Haven store last week and I never noticed! :slap

I thought the detolf was a 'type' of something, like a curio cabinet or shelving unit. I didn't know that it was an Ikea patented name.

Thanks for the info guys.

They're so popular on here, that people might use the term Detolf when referring to other shelving. It's like any adhesive bandage being called a Band-Aid.

I've still got the one Detolf, and have to wait for the (long, LONG) delayed Ikea in Denver to open up, then I can grab a couple more. And price hikes are never fun, but after having looked at the prices of other similar cabinets (or having a Detolf shipped from out of state - jeez), I will gladly pay $65 for one.

Back