George Lucas Vetoes Life-Size Star Wars Model

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartan Rex

Super Freak
Reaction score
Published April 19, 2011
| News Corp Australian Papers

Read more: https://www.foxnews.com/scitech/201...s-life-size-star-wars-models/#ixzz1K00cJpUSWe knew it was too good to be true.
You were right to trust that sneaking sense of suspicion that grew every time you expressed optimism that maybe this time, just once, George Lucas would give the green light for an awesome fan-built Star Wars replica.
There will be no AT-AT for America, it turns out -- or for anyone else.
George Lucas has vetoed the creation of a life-sized fully functioning replica of the Galactic Empire AT-AT walker, putting an end to the dreams that the armored troop carrier would one day walk among us.
Though it's not clear exactly what agreement (or lack thereof) AT-AT architect Mike Koehler came to with Lucasfilm, it can't be good, as Koehler is returning all KickStarter donations made to the project by people determined to make their Star Wars fantasy a reality.

"Long story short, I can no longer solicit any kind of support for the AT-AT for America project in its current form," Koehler wrote on his blog, AT-AT for America. "Seeking financial donations to build a piece of Lucasfilm intellectual property goes far beyond what is considered proper."
It seems that Lucasfilm was more than a little bit unhappy that they were not consulted about the project.
"Steve Sansweet (official fan liason of Lucasfilm) pointed out many flaws in this plan, the first being that I didn’t let Lucasfilm know from the start what we were doing," Koehler wrote.
"It sounds as if they aren’t the bogeyman when it comes to giving the blessing to fan project.
"So I don’t want my mistakes to make anything think they are the bad guy in this. I didn’t think ahead and have as firm a plan as I should of. And again, for that I am very sorry."
Where to now? Well, it may be optimistic to say there's a new hope, but Mike Koehler hopes there is something that can be salvaged from this experience.
"I have a tiny kernel of a idea with what we could do going forward with AT-AT for America that I will discuss with Mr. Sansweet and Lucasfilm once I get a plan together," he wrote.
"I think there is something that can be rebuilt from this.
"We have more than 2,000 Facebook fans and hundreds of volunteers who have emailed us. They all want to do something and I think we still can.
"I ask for your patience as I try to put that together."
Fans shouldn't hold their breath, if we can't have Star Wars the Musical, it seems unlikely a compromise can be reached on the AT-AT.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

maybe this time, just once, George Lucas would give the green light for an awesome fan-built Star Wars replica.

:lol They've obviously never been to a Star Wars Celebration. :cuckoo:

And why would anyone think Lucas (or anyone in any seat authority, for that matter) would be cool with a "functional" life-size AT-AT being built (even in such an endeavor were remotely practical, which it's not)? :dunno

Besides... there's a project in its infancy to build a lifesize (obviously stationary) Millennium Falcon that Lucasfilm has been aware of, but hasn't stopped.

The biggest problem is the idiot who started the project was just some dude with no engineering expertise or any expertise at all. He was just some schmo taking donations.

That is not the way to start anything.

The biggest problem is the idiot who started the project was just some dude with no engineering expertise or any expertise at all. He was just some schmo taking donations.

That is not the way to start anything.

Exactly. There was about a 0000000000.1% chance of this ever materializing past the "donation" phase.

Wouldn't a fully functioning AT-AT cost hundreds of millions to make anyway? I'm sure by Lucas giving his consent he would also take on at least some level of liability.... His lawyers probably turned this down instantly.

This is dumb. And is it even possible for an At-At to actually work/exist? I mean, I love the design but...it's a bit silly to make a 4 legged walker.

The funny thing is they've still yet to make a "realistic" walking AT-AT toy. The closest we've gotten so far is the LEGO version and even it looks REALLY awkward.

Now if they were just going for a full-size stationary AT-AT then that could be possible. They could even build the whole station from Endor and allow you to take an elevator up to the cockpit area.

The funny thing is they've still yet to make a "realistic" walking AT-AT toy. The closest we've gotten so far is the LEGO version and even it looks REALLY awkward.

Now if they were just going for a full-size stationary AT-AT then that could be possible. They could even build the whole station from Endor and allow you to take an elevator up to the cockpit area.

Wrong...

4483-1.jpg

Ironic given that outlets are reporting that the Singapore-based LucasFilm Animation building is to be shaped like a Sandcrawler.

I could see a static piece being possible... and honestly pretty awesome. But trying to make a functional one is pretty idiotic and would likely just be a really expensive death trap :lol

Custom walking AT-AT, NOT the Lego AT-AT:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti6OQO0SqTc"]YouTube - AT-AT Walker[/ame]

Last edited:
Back