Display Cabinet Lighting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NobleWarrior

Freaked Out
Reaction score
not sure which section this should go in...

Im looking for some recommendations. What is the best lights to use for a Detolf display cabinet? looking for ones that don't over heat obviously.

Thanks!

i have a bunch of battery powered lights that stick to the top of my display cabinet, i got them at Robert Dyas, however having to go in and turn them on sucks, the batteries need changing (sucks) and most importantly the stickiness wear off and most of the have fallen off.

I'm currently looking to get some display cabinets with built in 'plug' lights, but for your Detolf i wouldn't recommend those, they are relatively cheap but are only really a temporary thing.

Ikea sell Dioder lighs that are perfect for Detolfs

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70119425

I just bought the Dioders (white & multi) for a pair of Detolfs I picked up yesterday. Finally got them all set up and installed, and I will say that in person it looks BEAUTIFUL!

I had also picked up a pair of IKEA NON (puck style) lights but they weren't nearly as bright, and they also limited the space of the top shelf about 2 inches.

The other IKEA LED lights looked awesome and I've read many posts here of people using them in displays. I don't know the product name but they come in a 4 pack and are flat spheres, look about the size of a half dollar. If you go to IKEA they have them right next to Dioders in a display case.

Good luck!

This is the only way to go :) https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00202324

Here's how it looks (that's just 1 out of 7 colors available):

VsfNA.jpg

Nice pic Veizure :)

I agree that looks awesome. May I ask how you hid the wires from the Dioders?

I have two detolfs. So I have a mix of white lights and coloured (helps to light everything depending if I want mood on my figures or just to iluminate them) and as everyone has said they are fantastic.

Only problem they have so many wire that I't difficult to hide them. Inside my cases are fine but behind them it's a mess. It would take me hours to untagle them if for some reason I ever wanted to remove them. So for anyone buy a set bare that in mind.

Since your question specifically refers to detolfs, then the IKEA-made light is your simplest option.

But if not, I'd recommend a 4 to 5 LED bar assembly. They can be purchased from a home imnprovement (or hardware) store with a lighting section. I bought a pair of these in black finish. They can be dimmed (which is fantastic for photography) and emit virtually no heat. Pricey, but IMHO the best option with the most versatility. Good luck.

Dang, those are very cool!
They would go great in my sports autograph cabinet, too!

Since your question specifically refers to detolfs, then the IKEA-made light is your simplest option.

But if not, I'd recommend a 4 to 5 LED bar assembly. They can be purchased from a home imnprovement (or hardware) store with a lighting section. I bought a pair of these in black finish. They can be dimmed (which is fantastic for photography) and emit virtually no heat. Pricey, but IMHO the best option with the most versatility. Good luck.

Wow, now those are nice as well, and Lowe's is fairly close.
I may have to buy a pack to see these in person!
Thanks for the link!

No problem, gibs.

Lowe's will likely have a set on display so you can check 'em out in action.

Do you guys prefer round or long bulbs?
And also the one with one or multi-colours?

I prefer the round ones for Detolfs.
Also I had tried both the white and multi-color Dioders and I find that the multicolor ones have a more cooler white (bluish) than the plain white ones, which were warmer. I preferred the warmer color of the plain white.

I bought white & mult Dioders LED strips, as well as round IKEA NONs to try in my Detolfs. In the end I hated the NONs, the light was weak compared to the Dioders and was yellowish, they are getting returned ASAP.

As far as the white or multi Dioder, they both look GREAT! Can't miss either way, I bought an extra set just to have so as I collect more figures/statues I can change the light configuration appropriately :yess:

Let us know what you decide!

I bought white & mult Dioders LED strips, as well as round IKEA NONs to try in my Detolfs. In the end I hated the NONs, the light was weak compared to the Dioders and was yellowish, they are getting returned ASAP.

As far as the white or multi Dioder, they both look GREAT! Can't miss either way, I bought an extra set just to have so as I collect more figures/statues I can change the light configuration appropriately :yess:

Let us know what you decide!

THanks for answer, but do you recommend round dioders or the strip ones?

I like strip because the light comes from a bigger area than just one round one. Or so i think :)

Also, what's cool on the coloured ones is that you can make the lights cycle from one to another, either one at a time or smooth transition, and it looks cool.

Back