C-3PO with R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomandshell

Blue Flame of the West/Mod
Reaction score
ko73.jpg

If Kotobukiya's droid piece is looking this good in roughly 1/7 scale, I can just imagine how nice Sideshow's is going to be in 1/4 scale.

:drool

Pretty cool man, looks like a micro version of the real deal. For once it seems R2 is in the right scale compared to 3PO.

Wow, that looks great.

Unfortunately, that's the EXACT pose I wanted for the 1/4 droids 2-pack. We all know how Lucas doesn't let the various licensees repeat poses. If that remains true, I'd hate for such a classic pose to be "wasted" on the Kotos.

That is unbelievably remarkable!!! C-3PO looks like he's made out of metal!! Does Kotobukiya make model kits in metal? I thought they were strictly vinyl kits.

Wor-Gar said:
What exactly are those pieces, Tom? Real metal?

Kotos are soft vinyl pre-painted sculpture kits that come in several pieces that you snap together. I have seven and am very happy with them. (Boba Fett, Stormtrooper, Sand Trooper, Snow Trooper, Scout Trooper, AOTC Clone, Shock Trooper--and Commander Bly is on order.)

Their human likenesses aren't quite there, but the helmeted characters are really great, in my opinion. I still think they're a little pricey for what they are, but you have to remember that they are imports, and as President Bush reminds us, "The vast majority of our imports come from outside the country."

When will this Koto be released and for how much? I really hope Sideshow's 1/6 versions of these will look this good so we can pose them in this position.

Wow, that's indeed a pretty nice piece.

I can't wait to see what SSC has in mind for our favorite droids. However, I am of the mind that they should probably be released together, as a 2-Pack.

Then again, maybe not... as R2 could conceivably come with a plethora of accessories. Still, these 2 will always be mutually exclusive in my mind so it would be awkward having either of them on display w/out the other... even for a limited time.

I wonder what SSC thinks about this.

The only reason I could see for sideshow not to do C3PO and R2D2 together would be the price point. People are bawking at $350 for Luke and Yoda. If the droids are metal and come with lights ( as I so hope they do) they won't come cheap. That koto pose is sooooo iconic though, I'd love to see sideshow 1/4 scale done with that pose.

tomandshell said:
Kotos are soft vinyl pre-painted sculpture kits that come in several pieces that you snap together. I have seven and am very happy with them. (Boba Fett, Stormtrooper, Sand Trooper, Snow Trooper, Scout Trooper, AOTC Clone, Shock Trooper--and Commander Bly is on order.)

Their human likenesses aren't quite there, but the helmeted characters are really great, in my opinion. I still think they're a little pricey for what they are, but you have to remember that they are imports, and as President Bush reminds us, "The vast majority of our imports come from outside the country."

Yoda is really awesome too. So far, he's the only Koto I own, but the likeness is so good it's creepy!! He's also pretty small (about 4-5 inches tall) but definitely worth the $45!

Darth Rage said:
The only reason I could see for sideshow not to do C3PO and R2D2 together would be the price point. People are bawking at $350 for Luke and Yoda. If the droids are metal and come with lights ( as I so hope they do) they won't come cheap. That koto pose is sooooo iconic though, I'd love to see sideshow 1/4 scale done with that pose.
Hmm... didn't even think about the media possibly containing metal and lights. Point taken.

JustinLuck said:
When will this Koto be released and for how much? I really hope Sideshow's 1/6 versions of these will look this good so we can pose them in this position.

Kotos retail for around $100, but I wouldn't pay that much when you can easily get them for around $75--or less if you shop around. I ordered Bly in January and he is due to ship in July. Some start to show up early, because they are released first in Japan, and the rest are later exported here through Dark Horse. I haven't heard a release date for the droid piece yet. Actually, some are guessing that these will be two separate pieces that can be connected for one display. (I personally hope that they come in one package, it'll be cheaper than two different releases.)

Darth Rage said:

Personally, I would never spend $350 on Luke and Yoda because the lack of articulation, and the fact that Yoda is not a finished piece you can take out of the pouch and left standing.

I would rather the droids be released as separate pieces if that meant that they have superior articulation and detail. I want them to look at least as good as these Kotos.

I would spend good money on highly detailed PFs if they were articulated and were fully developed. When I say fully developed, I mean, there is detail underneath the clothing and parts that are not explicitly shown, etc.

But because these don't exist, I settle for the 1/6 line.

jlcmsu said:
If done right I'd consider it even at $450 or so.
Yeah, $450-$500 sounds right. The Koto piece looks amazing. No doubt, the SS version would set the standard though.

Back