Its been a long time comming...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Strongbow

Hello and greetings to all Freaks……….

After may months of looking through and reading posts on this fantastic site I thought it was about time to log in and join the clan of collectors and tell all of my collecting history so far. Let me tell you this hobby has become the bane of my bank account but fulfils the excitement of an Xmas day when I were a lad over and over again………

The History…..

Currently living in the UK. I have been into collecting toy figures since I was 25 and most of the items were from my childhood relived. The usual stuff like Starwars toys and my all time TV favourite the Six Million Dollar Man. Even had a Shop stock Big Foot, why did I let him go???????? Anyway, Due to family life and work commitments I sadly sold most of my collection (Babies cost a mint) and have been out of the game until 6 months back. Don’t get me wrong? I always had my eye on the 1/6 collecting scene and loved the Sideshow, Hot Toys and DID collectables but had to justify the time and money this collecting obsession needs. Until one fateful evening I was just browsing on eBay and there was a brand new Hot Toys Batman DX02 (UK stock, no oil residue, yes I do my homework..lol) just waiting for someone to hit the buy it now button… Well as you can imagine and because you are reading this now the rest is history……..

As many of you will agree this can be one of the most frustrating hobbies but one of the most rewarding. THIS IS A WORD OF WARNING TO ALL NEWBIES LIKE ME…..

Lets take Hot Toys?????????? Now at first you are going to think “I want them all” I did…. Oh and I really did….But how????? I don’t have a money tree and the good lady would not take kindly of me borrowing her tights for a bank job…. So I started slowly….. The problem here is that while I was trying to collect as many as your bank balance will take I had to fight with myself what to go for? Being so new there were many fantastic figures already released and growing radically in cost………. But my dilemma is the new ones will also start growing in price if I don’t get them now…..But if I buy those the older ones will get even more expensive…AAAAHHHHHHHHHH….. This is what I call the balance game…. And like it or not It drove me mad….I persevered…Sideshow Freaks and Ebay became my closest friend and the obsession was on….. And I do hope some of you agree with me but there is nothing like opening a brand new collectable figure for the first time…. Even the new smell adds to the excitement…..

Anyway to cut a long story short….. 6 months on and apart from two rarer figures that I am waiting for I am up to date with what I have been searching for. I only collect figures from films/TV that I really like and admit not to be one for collecting a certain manufacturers product for collecting sake… I guess it’s Know what you love and love what you know….

So what’s next??? Well having been an outsider looking in I thought it time to join… I now have more time to explore the custom side of the hobby and have many many questions to ask… What body works best, How do you weather clothes, Best material to make dioramas ect ect?????

I hope to post pictures my collection very soon so I can share my experiences like many others.

Any way, I hope I did not bore you and you have not woken up with key board marks on you cheeks where you fell asleep…..

Just a big thank you to all Freaks that never knew I was looking in and hope to chat to many of you in the future….

Steve

Back