Anybody submit their 12" inch Jedi Luke to AFA, yet?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polystoner

Super Freak
Reaction score
Sloooow in marketing today (good weather here so sales is out meeting clients (aka, playing golf) so there is no one around to bug me), so I was packing an action figure to be graded by AFA.

Which made me wonder for non-openers, has anyone submitted Jedi Luke for grading?

Entertain me, flame me, prevent me from falling asleep!

Thanks.

Last edited:
EVILFACE said:
Seems like a waste to me.

Yeah, sort of. Jedi Luke is too cool to just keep him in the box. (although mine is still boxed because we're moving soon). But considering the price that Star Wars AFA graded products can fetch, plus the limited availability of this first SS 12" inch, I just thought that maybe someone did submit with an eye down the road for resell.

The price would be really prohibitive, though. Probably at least the cost of the figure at MSRP.

Is it free to get it graded?? If not, what are the rates? :chew

student_toe5 said:
Is it free to get it graded?? If not, what are the rates? :chew

I wish it were free. No, Action Figure Authority is a business, they are at toygrader.com.

I think it would be around $50-$60 bucks to get it graded and cased. But it could be as much as $100 for the grading, not to mention the return postage and insurance. Don't know, they don't really list Sideshow specifically on their site. They also take a really long time at the lowest priced tier.

Not for the casual collector, at those prices.

They probably don't have an enclosure that's the right size for Luke. However if they could do it so the box is open and you can see the figure, it might not be so stupid. But if they just enclose the closed box then it's kind of a waste I think.

I had posed this question over at Rebelscum,and was told that grading any of the Sideshow 12" would fall under AFA's "custom tier" pricing and that they would encase it with the box "opened" so the figure and accessories could be viewed.I personally think it would look really cool on display for a piece such as the SDCC Vader.

miles said:
I had posed this question over at Rebelscum,and was told that grading any of the Sideshow 12" would fall under AFA's "custom tier" pricing and that they would encase it with the box "opened" so the figure and accessories could be viewed.I personally think it would look really cool on display for a piece such as the SDCC Vader.

Huh, cool. So, using the measurements and weight of the box at the SS website, it would fall into custom tier 3.

So for the cheapest grading (if I'm doing this right), it would be $55 for the grading, plus about $17.25 for return shipping and insurance. So fees to AFA would be about $72.25 for grading and return. That's not too bad, considering an exclusive luke still goes for about double on ebay. But poor Luke would be encased in "carbonite". Any future SS 12" Leia might have to bust him out.

Mmmm, 12" Leia.

miles said:

Cool!! Since I buy 2 of each figures I may consider having one of them graded and the other opened. :chew

Darth Robbler said:
I don't think they'll grade it because it is not sealed. They are very picky about that.

AFA ARE GRADING LOOSE FIGURES NOW.

NOt to be difficult but how do you describe a loose figure that has been graded and encapsulated? Loose, but not very? MIMGPNTOPBTTTGPO? (mint in mint graded package, not the original package, but the thing the graders put on).

Doesn't AFA grade items that are cases and mailers as well? If that's the case the ultimate SS Ex. Luke would just be the mailer box sealed up and given a grade... Man that would look beautiful on a shelf :duh

galactiboy said:
Doesn't AFA grade items that are cases and mailers as well? If that's the case the ultimate SS Ex. Luke would just be the mailer box sealed up and given a grade... Man that would look beautiful on a shelf :duh

I am looking on ebay for one now... me want. :rotfl

galactiboy said:

Nah, when you send them a sealed case of say, action figures, they open the case and grade each one. They would have to see the figure, they give a grade for the figure, for the packaging, and for the bubble or window (I forget), and then average for an overall score.

I

Polystoner said:
Nah, when you send them a sealed case of say, action figures, they open the case and grade each one. They would have to see the figure, they give a grade for the figure, for the packaging, and for the bubble or window (I forget), and then average for an overall score.

Well then its not worth it then... I want my figure encased in plastic and guaranteed that even the packaging never saw the light of day :lol

Polystoner said:

I

I do remember that somebody submited an unopened Yoda boxed figure (not in the shipping box) just the regular box but they did grade it.. YIKES.. how fun looking at a GRADED box. I can understand a MIP person but thats taking it too far.

I'm thinking about sending them my XTra Salty Ermey and telling them to press his button and grade that. Personally I'm not a big fan of AFA or grading, etc. It's a collectible/figure. Open it, smell it, caress it, lick it, rub it, hug it... ...Enjoy it!! :D

Fritz said:
I'm thinking about sending them my XTra Salty Ermey and telling them to press his button and grade that. Personally I'm not a big fan of AFA or grading, etc. It's a collectible/figure. Open it, smell it, caress it, lick it, rub it, hug it... ...Enjoy it!! :D

AMEN BROTHER..... I believe that figures/collectibles should be open and loved with a hands on approach.....

Back