Now that Buffy/Angel is Over... What Next?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protozaius

Chief Defender of Faith
Reaction score
I thought I'd pose this question to this forum since we all have an affection for the Whedonverse. Now that I' gone through all of the seasons of Buffy/Angel/Firefly, what TV show would you recommend me taking a stab at? Lost? Battlestar Galactica? Veronica Mars?

Just let me say that I've tried watching 24 (the first three seasons on and off) and I just couldn't get into it. The show is on constant crisis mode which is irriating and the show's gimmick leaves little real room for character development.

I'm about to start the last season of Alias (my dad TiVOed it for me). I'm a generally a fan of the show... it's the closest I've gotten to the Whedonverse outside that verse.

I haven't ever started Smallville... and there's a reason. My dad has all of the seasons on DVD so I can start it at any time. The story intrigued me at first. But the more I heard about who is visiting Smallville (Lex Luther, Lois Lane, Bruce Wayne, Brainac, Aquaman etc.) the less "small" it felt. Doesn't the concept kind of delude the whole point of a Smalville in Superman's life... a superhero sprouting from humble beginnings? And the longer the show goes on the greater part it plays in his life... what if Clark Kent gets stuck in Smallville and starts his own car repair shop and NEVER joins the Daily Planet????

Though knowing that Christopher Reeve had a re-occuring cameo role makes it a little more tempting.

Your thoughts?

I cannot recommend the Shield highly enough. The show's creator is Shawn Ryan, one of the producers/story editors (I'm not sure which) from season two of Angel. Also, some of the newer eps have Elizabeth Craft and Sara Fain as writers, and they worked on multiple eps of Buffy in its twilight.
It's a very similar show in regards to character development-- you watch characters change, grow to love them or hate them, etc.

Veronica Mars is good-- I haven't seen enough of it, but if I'm flipping channels and it's on I'll watch.

I HATE Smallville-- I think it's a slap in the face to the whole Superman mythos. If they were up front about Clark NEVER becoming Superman, then it would be passible, but the fact that all this stuff is going on and people can't figure out he has super powers is ridiculous (especially Luthor). I always hate it when they feel the need to tie someone's arch nemesis directly into their origin. It's unnecessary.

Proto, your lead in thread liked to scared the holy weezies out of me! I thought you meant that the figure line was over! TV shows are another matter!

Well, in my opinion, it's nearly a wasteland out there in TV land for the sci-fi-fantasy realm. "Surface" was a slow start, and then when it got really good, POOF! Gone. I nearly fell asleep trying to watch "Invasion" when the show began, but now that it's become really exciting (the last few shows and the season finale) it's off until fall; and the scuttlebut is that it may not be renewed. I never got into "Lost", so I can't give an opinion there. "Medium" and "Ghost Whisperer" are pretty good.

James (Spike) Marsters plays Brainiac on "Smallville" and Charisma (Cordy) Carpenter plays some sexy character on "Veronica Mars." (One show that I have tried many times to get interested in, but Joss Whedon's opinion aside, I just CAN'T!) :monkey4

Two shows that are not scif-fi, but really great shows, are Mark Harmon's "NCIS" and David Boreanaz's new show "Bones." These two I don't miss.

It's just too bad all of these are about off for the summer. Maybe you can catch some on reruns.

The scifi channel is supposed to debut
"The Dresden Files" sometime this summer, and I'm awaiting that one with
a great deal of anticipation. The show is adapted from Jim Butcher's first book, "Storm Front". (I was originally drawn to this, until recently fairly unknown author, by purchasing the audio tape of the book, read by James Marsters.) I got hooked! Harry Dresden....Chicago's only advertising Wizard! He's great and so is Jim Butcher!:chew
I read and enjoy all of his books now.

That's it. Can't think of anything else to recommend. Good luck!

Smallville is worth watching for Lex, IMHO.... I've been a fan (hated season four though), but I've never really felt much for Clark. I think Lex is easily the best character on the show....but most of the others don't do much for me. Lex is really the only one I feel for.

My favorite show (currently on air) is Supernatural. I just love it. I love the concept, the stories....everything.

Yeah, sorry...I forgot about Supernatural. It is good too....I just don't get to watch it that often to keep up.

My favorite show right now is the new Dr. Who series on Sci-Fi channel. I know next to nothing about the previous incarnations of Dr. Who, but this series is a blast just on its own merits.

Dang! I need memory pills, Obsolete Man! You are correct, Eccleston is one of the more fun and interesting "Doctors" (and I've seen a lot of the past ones.....I think I like this one best.)

In fact, I'm sure some of our UK members could tell me a website where I might get an order in for a nicely done 12" Christopher Eccleston collectible figure? Hmmmm?

I only watch Smallville in the once you said.Its really good but not as good as buffy/angel of course.
its not good enough to make me by the dvd but is fun to see.Check it out!!

The one with charisma in sounds cool.
But most of the time the only tv shows i watch aside from buffy or angel are:
smallville
freinds
simpsons

Big brother started today whooo

Isn't it a bit odd seeing DB in Bones when we all would like to have seen Angel continue to this day?

I don't mean to typecast an actor to a role, but seeing that I JUST finished his 8 year run as Angel, I think it might be too soon to see him as anyone else. :rolleyes:

I'm still reeling from that final Angel episode. :google :google :google

I'm still reeling from that final Angel episode.

"I've always wanted to fight a dragon"

I still hope that most of the BTVS and Angel casts would like to do movies, even if the principles, Gellar in particular, may not.

I highly recommend Battlestar Galactica. It's the best show on tv right now and I'd rank it up there with Joss Whedon's shows.

For a show that's off the air I'd highly recommend Farscape. It's like nothing else you've ever seen on tv. It had great acting, lots of drama, lots of humor and muppets in space (not Kermit and Miss Piggy - they have their own gig)!

And for another show like Firefly that ended way before it had a chance to shine I'd recommend watching Miracles. ABC only aired about 4 episodes before they cancelled it but those four episodes were shown weeks apart at sometimes and whatever audience it started off with could never find the show. I believe there were only about 12-13 episodes altogether so no long time commitment there.

I enjoy Lost, Veronica Mars and Bones but they are just good tv to me where the other shows I mentioned are/were great tv.

As for Smallville, I watched a couple of seasons, mainly for the Luthors but the whole Clark and Lana storyline just bored me to tears so I just can't watch it anymore. I did tune in for this season's finale to watch James Marsters on it but there wasn't as much of him as I would have liked to have seen.

Firefly, I know that you and I have opposite tastes on a lot of shows, but one we can TOTALLY agree on is Farscape! I loved that show! (Still do!)

I have all but one of the 6" figures that we made, but they're in storage right now. Talking about the show makes me want to go and dig'em out.

Did anybody ever watch "Lexx"? Now THAT was a WIERD show......but I liked it, so there you are....wierd attracts wierd.:D

Smallville is hit and miss, but there are more good episodes than bad. And I really, really like what they're doing to the mythology. Erica Durance is also my new love. I like the show a lot.

Veronica Mars is another great one - probably the most Buff-esque of anything out there at least in character development and dialogue.

Galactica - very tough for me to get into, but by the middle of the second season I was a diehard fan.

Shield - great, although the cinema verite style gets annoying.

Nip/Tuck - great with some really wacked out characters and plot lines.

Rome - is that out in DVD yet?

Buffanatic said:
Firefly, I know that you and I have opposite tastes on a lot of shows, but one we can TOTALLY agree on is Farscape! I loved that show! (Still do!)

I have all but one of the 6" figures that we made, but they're in storage right now. Talking about the show makes me want to go and dig'em out.

Did anybody ever watch "Lexx"? Now THAT was a WIERD show......but I liked it, so there you are....wierd attracts wierd.:D

I really do love Bones - I just don't think it's as quality a show as the Whedonverse shows or the ones I mentioned. But I love it anyways, great characters and chemistry. And PZ, I found it very easy to see DB in this role on Bones. His character is very different from Angel, much lighter and actually more likable (and I loved Angel the character)!

Buffanitic, I just absolutely loved Farscape. I actually didn't watch it when it aired and caught it on DVD after it was cancelled and right before the miniseries ended. Just one heck of a great show (and would make an excellent line for Sideshow to do, hint, hint)!

Farscape is on the level of Buffy and Angel for me - a truly great show that wasn't afraid to go off in odd-ball directions.

I watch Bones and I think DB is more suited to Booth than to Angel. I'm a bit miffed that right after Angel ended he was saying he wanted to get away from the grind of an hour show though. Didn't get very far, did he? I don't think Bones is a great show - I'm not a fan of procedurals and much prefer serialized dramas, but Bones is an interesting character and what's her name is very watchable. But what's with a pop culture novelist having no clue about pop culture? "I don't know what that means?" was funny a couple of times, but her complete ignorance becomes bothersome.

I'm hearing lots of Farscape suggestions. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has the DVDs to borrow them. :confused:

Perhaps it's time to sign up for Netflix....:rolleyes:

I read in a recent DB interview that he tried his hand at movies between the two shows but they are all either unreleased or went straight to video. I remember him saying that he hopes that his character on Bones will play more as a calling card for his transition to the big screen. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

He's really, really good as Seeley Booth in Bones.

Remember in Angel where there were those comic moments when Davey boy used to shine and you would think they were the greatest things since sliced bread until they were buried under some convoluted sub-plot.

Well they are in Bones in all their glory and then some.

My wife is a die-hard Angel fan and she absolutely loves Bones. I even missed the A-Team reunion show last night because she wanted to watch it and 'couldn't wait' to see the re-run tomorrow...

Bah!, Women!!!!

Back