Robocop (2014)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shiveringmelody

Super Freak
Reaction score
MGM In Talks With Jose Padilha To Direct 'Robocop' Reboot

MGM is negotiating with Brazilian director Jose Padilha to direct Robocop, the remake of the futuristic 1987 film originally helmed by Paul Verhoeven. The original was about a cop who was near death and was drafted to become a powerful cyborg cop, until suppressed memories of his past life come back to haunt him. Peter Weller played the character in the original him in the original and the 1990 sequel.

Reconstituted under Gary Barber and Roger Birnbaum, MGM has targeted Robocop as its first major franchise play, and they worked hard to find a filmmaker who could play on a global field. They were impressed by Padilha's track record with taut crime dramas Elite Squad and a sequel that came out in 2010. Those films were Portuguese language and didn't play huge in the U.S. But Elite Squad 2: The Enemy Within grossed over $60 million in Brazil alone last year, surpassing Avatar, Shrek Forever and Alice in Wonderland in Padilha's home country. The original won a Golden Bear at the 2007 Berlinale. Once Padilha is aboard, they will set a writer who'll work under the director's supervision.

The Robocop remake once had Black Swan helmer Darren Aronofsky developing it to direct before MGM halted progress on all of its pictures while trying to fix its finances. Aronofsky moved over to direct Fox's Wolverine sequel with Hugh Jackman. MGM emerged from Chapter 11 and converted its crushing debt of $4.25 billion into equity. The studio is moving forward with James Bond--Deadline broke the story that it's headed for distribution by Sony, with Javier Bardem in talks to play the Bond villain opposite Daniel Craig for director Sam Mendes.

Padilha also directed the documentary Bus 174, about what happened on June 12, 2000 when a bus was taken hostage by armed young men. It played out all day on the Brazilian TV networks and ended horribly.

source/taken from: https://www.deadline.com/2011/03/mgm-eyes-jose-padilha-for-robocop-reboot/#more-110238

Last edited:
Re: Robocop....making a comeback?

They just said last week Aronofsky was still attached and that would be the only way I'd want to see this happen.

You'd think after Detroit voted to have a public statue of Robocop like we have one of Rocky here in Philly then a movie would have to be in the works.
After what was done with the suits in Iron Man I'm interested to see what they'd do with ol' Robo.

Well what isnt making a comeback nowadays ?

Not a single good reason why it shouldn't be a sequel with Weller returning. How wonderful to resurrect him 20 years later into a changed world with better technology. OCP could literally have put Robo on ice in the 90's only for him to be broken out and restored. Delta City could be a bigger hellhole than Detroit ever was...!!!

Peter Weller is still a great actor. Fantastic in Dexter.

No doubt. But old as ____. He could not put that suit on again. And i'm talking from a visual standpoint. It would look silly.

Its funny that it makes makes mention of Robocop and Robocop 2, but no mention of Robo 3 anywhere :)

Its funny that it makes makes mention of Robocop and Robocop 2, but no mention of Robo 3 anywhere :)

The second one wasn't any better. They should have just mentioned the first.

Remake = Giant Fail, not only is the first one probably more relevant now in terms of greed and coruption of corporations and a morally and financially bankrupt system then any other time since it's release, but the effects, violence, and story not only also hold up, but are likely better then the CGI, and watered down kid and action figure friendly bs Iron Man Cop we would get today.

Do whatever it takes to make sure this doesn't happen including building a functioning replica ED 209 that accidentally "Malfunctions" during the production investor's meeting.

Remake = Giant Fail, not only is the first one probably more relevant now in terms of greed and coruption of corporations and a morally and financially bankrupt system then any other time since it's release, but the effects, violence, and story not only also hold up, but are likely better then the CGI, and watered down kid and action figure friendly bs Iron Man Cop we would get today.

Do whatever it takes to make sure this doesn't happen including building a functioning replica ED 209 that accidentally "Malfunctions" during the production investor's meeting.

:lol I LOVE this idea. Stop this movie by any means necessary. Totally not needed. Just yeat another attempt at studio's trying to make cash cows instead of trying to make movies.

No doubt. But old as ____. He could not put that suit on again. And i'm talking from a visual standpoint. It would look silly.

Obviously he wouldn't be cast as Robocop in the remake.

And I was very excited when Aronofsky was attached to helm. No question it would have been great with all the depth that the first one had. Now, with this new guy, I'm not so sure.

There was no Robocop 2 or 3. There was no Robocop 2 or 3. There was no Robocop 2 or 3. There was no Robocop 2 or 3.....

I actually enjoyed Robocop 2. Not as good as the first one obviously but i found in enjoyable and had enough cool scenes to keep me happy. Robocop 3 on the other hand. Tut tut. What a disaster.

You know what? I liked the first half-hour of Robocop 3. I'll say it. I liked the direction the story was taking, but then came the Ninja robots and other stupid crap.

Anyway, I would've liked Aronofsky to have stuck by the remake. It lessens the blow that a remake is actually happening.

Back