The Lady Formerly Known as SideshowDusty...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusty

just me
Reaction score
Guess I need to re-introduce myself as "just" Dusty :) Here's my story for those who haven't read it on Facebook ;)

I recently made the VERY, VERY (very, very) tough decision - tough both emotionally & financially - to leave my part-time position at Sideshow Collectibles and become a full-time mom (and to try to expand on my cooking skills - ha!). Sideshow Marissa has taken my place - be extra nice to her :)

After 6 great years at Sideshow, and countless truly wonderful friendships made - with coworkers, collectors and artists alike; some of whom I see nearly every day, some of whom I've never physically met; from all corners of the earth and walks of life - I am super, super sad to go...but I'll definitely still be around the Freaks board now and then!

The company and the people are just so incredibly amazing; I truly can't express in words what the entire experience has meant to me. I have been so, so lucky to be a part of such a wonderful team; nay, family. Many of you are probably thinking that I'm stupid to leave such a sweet set-up - and you may be right ;) But we all have to make our choices in life, and it's gotten to the point where I can't be both the parent I want to be *and* the employee I want to be, while also keeping my health intact! There's just not enough time in the day. (Perhaps my standards are too high, but I would feel like I was selling myself short if I lowered them in any area; so one had to go - it's all or nuthin' with me and always has been.)

I will always give thanks to every fork in the road that led me down the path to Sideshow - incredible boredom at work in the Thomas Kinkade gallery back in Austin & the LOTR fandom that filled in the hours of tedium in 2003; moving to Los Angeles to help my then-boyfriend try to find his place in this crazy world in 2004; the first ORC (One Ring Convention) & meeting Chris & Larry in January 2005...whatever or whoever it all was! - because without taking all of those small steps & making those choices, I would never have met my husband Travis (multimedia manager at Sideshow)...and Dax (my 2-year old son) wouldn't even exist. I can't begin to fathom that in my wildest dreams!!!

So...in conclusion; I am now "just" Dusty here on the boards. And a HUGE THANK YOU to all who have been with me through various stages of the journey that was my life as "SideshowDusty"! :duff

Congrats on your new endeavor! I'm sure you'll love it and there will always be jobs out there.

In the meantime Sideshow, if you need employees that can work from Idaho for you....that's me! :lecture

Best wishes, and thanks for taking the time to post on the board and setting some of the more zealous members straight.

Wow, very cool Dusty!

Speaking from only 4mos of experience, I can definitely side with your decision. It is a tiring and stressful adventure to try and do it all!

Congratulations and have fun being at home with the little one!

Guess I need to re-introduce myself as "just" Dusty :) Here's my story for those who haven't read it on Facebook ;)

I recently made the VERY, VERY (very, very) tough decision - tough both emotionally & financially - to leave my part-time position at Sideshow Collectibles and become a full-time mom (and to try to expand on my cooking skills - ha!). Sideshow Marissa has taken my place - be extra nice to her :)

After 6 great years at Sideshow, and countless truly wonderful friendships made - with coworkers, collectors and artists alike; some of whom I see nearly every day, some of whom I've never physically met; from all corners of the earth and walks of life - I am super, super sad to go...but I'll definitely still be around the Freaks board now and then!

The company and the people are just so incredibly amazing; I truly can't express in words what the entire experience has meant to me. I have been so, so lucky to be a part of such a wonderful team; nay, family. Many of you are probably thinking that I'm stupid to leave such a sweet set-up - and you may be right ;) But we all have to make our choices in life, and it's gotten to the point where I can't be both the parent I want to be *and* the employee I want to be, while also keeping my health intact! There's just not enough time in the day. (Perhaps my standards are too high, but I would feel like I was selling myself short if I lowered them in any area; so one had to go - it's all or nuthin' with me and always has been.)

I will always give thanks to every fork in the road that led me down the path to Sideshow - incredible boredom at work in the Thomas Kinkade gallery back in Austin & the LOTR fandom that filled in the hours of tedium in 2003; moving to Los Angeles to help my then-boyfriend try to find his place in this crazy world in 2004; the first ORC (One Ring Convention) & meeting Chris & Larry in January 2005...whatever or whoever it all was! - because without taking all of those small steps & making those choices, I would never have met my husband Travis (multimedia manager at Sideshow)...and Dax (my 2-year old son) wouldn't even exist. I can't begin to fathom that in my wildest dreams!!!

So...in conclusion; I am now "just" Dusty here on the boards. And a HUGE THANK YOU to all who have been with me through various stages of the journey that was my life as "SideshowDusty"! :duff

DUSTY! SO GOOD TO SEE THAT YOU ARE STILL WITH US ON THE BOARDS! :rock :D

Nick

Welcome "DUSTY" you are still the same beautiful person we knew and loved... that will never change. :)

Congratulations, Dusty! You've made a tough choice, yes, but i think ultimately, a much more rewarding one.

"What, we weren't babies enough for you?!"

Congrats. We all have to make tuff choices in life.

From now on, this is Sideshow Dusty!!

10129946.jpg

Sad to see you leave Sideshow but maybe you can spend more time with us dorks now. You sent me one of the best emails I have ever received. Those were the days.... :)

"On Our Way to 10K Grand Prize winner - confirmation needed!

Dear Craig,

Congratulations! You made the 10,000th comment on SideshowCollectibles.com!
Thus, you have been chosen the Grand Prize winner in our expanded 'Mouth Off
and Win' contest!

We are pleased to award you with the Exclusive Six Jedi Prize Pack, which
includes one of each of the Sold Out Sideshow Exclusive editions of Jedi
Luke (#21041), Anakin Skywalker (#21191), Obi-Wan Kenobi (#21171), Kit Fisto
(#21061), Mace Windu (#21091) and Qui-Gon Jinn (#21051)!

Congratulations on winning this AWESOME prize, and I look forward to
receiving your confirmation! Feel free to contact me directly if you are in
need of further assistance...

Best Regards,
--
======================
Dusty Finn
Web Communications Coordinator"

Last edited:
While a tough choice, I am sure that in the long run there won't be too much regret over being able to devote yourself to mothering full-time; good for you Dusty!

:clap

Dusty, you will be sorely missed. :monkey2
You can never truly be "replaced", but we will welcome Marissa with open arms. I'll always have fond memories of the chats, posts, and Comic-Cons over the years, which certainly wouldn't have been the same without you. I wish you the best of luck in your new "job". Perhaps once Dax is older, you can find a new position at Sideshow. :pray: I'm sure they'd welcome you back with open arms. Don't be a stranger! I know you said you'll still frequent the boards, but please join us in chat sometime, especially during Spook, even if just to say a brief "hello!" Take care, and hope to hear from you SOON! :1-1:

To my friend 'Dusty': Good luck to you, and your family! There's too many parenting tips to share so don't be a stranger!

To my former co-worker 'SideshowDusty': It has been an honor to work with you. Your help and encouragements have always meant a great deal to me. I am sad to see you go, and happy for you all at the same time.

Oh what will I do when it's time to make buttons, want to rock out to a song about biscuits, or determine who to boot out of the chat room... You will be missed but your legacy not forgotten.

To my friend 'Dusty', again: I need a copy of that song about the biscuits!!! I think you said it was your friend's band from Austin.

Back