PDA

View Full Version : What should be Sideshow's first Star Wars 1:6 figure?

screamingmetal
07-30-2005, 06:32 PM
I've been thinking of who should be the first figure from this new line. EU doesn't count here, we need something iconic from the Movies to kick start it.

Since Darth Vader, Clone and Stormtroopers are a ways off (And that is something I can live with) I was thinking a Alec Guinness version of Obi-Wan could be first. But there is something about this choice that seems wrong as the first figure of the series to me, I can't put my finger on what it is that I dislike about this choice.
Luke either on Tatooine or as a Jedi?
Or maybe a good Han Solo or Princess Leia?
Then there's the Prequel characters, Obi-Wan Ewan McGregor, Padme, Darth Maul, and Hayden Christensen Anakin all of which are popular right now.

Not playing favorites I think Obi-Wan Ewan McGregor from ROTS should be first.
He is a notable actor, that came off the screen well in most of his scenes (think of Hayden's Anakin in AOTC), and is a central action oriented character.
The second one made I think to be made should be Leia from ANH. a Central beloved character from the Original Trilogy, that has never been made well in a 1:6 scale action figure.

Those are just my thoughts, does anybody have any ideas on who should be first?

dstephan
07-30-2005, 07:00 PM
The first piece needs to make a big splash so I'm thinking OT and a main character - either good or bad.

Sir Tristram
07-30-2005, 08:19 PM
I think it is going to be ROTS Ani, but I too hope that it is ROTS Obi!!!
I loved him in that! That is the quintessential Obi-Wan for me now!

BDboystoys
07-30-2005, 10:09 PM
too bad the first figure is gonna b from the expanded universe. i dont no about you but i dont really like the expanded uni. sideshow is supposed to have a poll up soon on the first figure they'll be makin but from the expanded uni. as for me I'd love to see a luke on Tantooine or as jedi, Alec guiness as Obi or Han solo.

dstephan
07-30-2005, 10:34 PM
The first figure IS NOT going to be from the expanded universe. They haven't even started the poll for that and as I understand it the first figures are already well under way.

Gazmog
07-31-2005, 05:55 AM
There's no indication they'll be following the episodes in a particular order, so with that in mind I would like the first figure to be...Boba Fett (ESB)

elwood49
07-31-2005, 05:58 AM
I also think the first piece will be Ep. III Ani. I can't wait for the 1/4 version of that! :drool

FrodoEyes
07-31-2005, 06:01 AM
Only a Star Wars fan of ROTS, and I think the first should be Yoda!
Even though I wouldnt buy any.

Strayed again, back to LOTR I go...

Gazmog
07-31-2005, 06:19 AM
I also think the first piece will be Ep. III Ani.

I could live with that. At least we won't have to worry about it looking like that chunk poodoo Koto plan on releasing.

Buttmunch
07-31-2005, 10:14 AM
I hope its Boba Fett. He is a huge fan favorite and would kick off the new line well. His exclusive could include the other set of gauntlets (RotJ or ESB, whichever the regular doesn't have). Vader would also be a great choice, hopefully with a removable helm (exclusive version includes both versions of head: eyebrows and no eyebrows. Or the RotS head).

Gazmog
07-31-2005, 11:12 AM
I'm hoping to get my Koto Boba's paintwork touched up using the Visual Dictionary's reference images. It'll look great when done.

Viking28
07-31-2005, 12:28 PM
The poll is for the FIRST EU figure not first SW figure to be released.

screamingmetal
07-31-2005, 02:28 PM
Yeah, the first bunch of SW figures has already been decided and are in production, this is merely just speculation.
In order for Sideshow to make a Yoda, they need a radically new body. and that would take some time. Same goes for Boba Fett, Sideshow stated that the armored characters won't be coming for a while, they require a lot of work as evidence by how long Premium Vader took.

dstephan
07-31-2005, 03:49 PM
Did they state that about armored characters in chat?

screamingmetal
07-31-2005, 04:26 PM
I looked around and couldn't find where I read that but I'm sure Sideshow has stated that someplace. I think Chris might have said something to that effect but I'm not sure.

Buttmunch
07-31-2005, 06:55 PM
Just because the armored characters take longer doesn't mean they aren't already in the plans. Anybody know how long Sideshow has known they would be partnering up with Hasbro? For all we know they could even have a Vader and a few other characters near completion. :dunno

If it isn't going to be an armored character, I would guess Luke or Anakin. They are the "stars" of the sagas. Obi-Wan would be another good bet (young or old).

I hope Yoda makes Sideshow make different body sizes. We could get a lot more figures if a kid size body was made.

Bonehead15
07-31-2005, 07:37 PM
My guess would be Vader as the first figure since he's probably the most popular SW character ever.

Second choice would be ANH Luke or Han.

Viking28
07-31-2005, 08:44 PM
Anakin.

BDboystoys
07-31-2005, 11:42 PM
a new child body would rock, like ripley holding Newt in the alien nest:banana . I'd like Luke, han or old obi wan as the first character.
thanks for clearing that up im glad its not from the expanded universe although sideshow definately are putting a poll for fans to pick the first expanded character whenever they choose to make it.

VanHelschwing
08-01-2005, 01:59 AM
The first figure should be a statement figure.
By this I mean that Sideshow is commited to high quality and innovation with the most lucrative Toy license ever. That said the first figure should be.................
Chewbacca
Tall(1/6th proportionate) and with real hair! Not Molded.
(Yay, rooted hair again)
Leather Bag, Bowcaster(accurate) and a for the exclusive his rifle from RotS.
But since the Star Wars saga is about at its heart Anakin,he'll probably be first in some form.

But at some point I want Darth Malak!
:rock :rock :rock :rock

scriff
08-01-2005, 02:34 AM
R2D2!!!

VanHelschwing
08-01-2005, 03:02 AM
Yeah, a hyper accurate R2 with lights and retractable arms would be cool.

dstephan
08-01-2005, 08:32 AM
I doubt the first figure will be a "specialty" item that isn't a traditional 1/6 figure. They will have to do Yoda and Chewie and the droids eventually, but to launch the line they'll do a traditional 1/6 figure that shows off how much better they can do it than Hasbro.

And Yoda isn't kid sized but much smaller, he'd have to be a completely different kind of figure just like the droids would.

Buttmunch
08-01-2005, 09:22 AM
A Yoda figure would offer midget size figures, like Nick-Nack from the James Bond line. I can't think of any others besides Mini Me though. :dunno

The first figure either has to be a main character or a huge fan favorite (which is mosty the main characters besides Boba Fett).

Gazmog
08-01-2005, 12:03 PM
This question was asked by a reader of galactichunter:

4. It's fantastic and somewhat unbelievable that Sideshow is actually doing the 12 inch line! Really looking forward to that. I'm trying to imagine what the line might end up looking like. Should I be thinking Marmit as far as accuracy and price?

--John

Sideshow's 12-inch line, according to Sideshow, will sell for about $50/per. I was told to expect borderline insane levels of detail with the pouches, belts, and every little piece being represented because it seems Lucasfilm saw Sideshow's other toys and said "oh, you can do this well or better with Star Wars, so go and make these the best you possibly can." Seeing as how a lot of collectors were used to paying $20-$30 per figure under Hasbro's reign, you might say "why bother?" Well, good for you if you do-- these are going to be limited items (numbers TBD) and there's going to be a big enough collector base to absorb them, it seems. You get what you pay for, after all, and seeing how 12-inch figures are a collector's only circle these days, they may as well make it right the first time.

FlyAndFight
08-01-2005, 12:10 PM
They'll lose a potential buyer here if they go with the expanded universe. I don't care for it if it wasn't in the films.

With that being said, a "real hair" Chewie (followed by Solo, of course) would be fantastic!!! But I think that they'll probably start with an Episode III character as well.

Gazmog
08-01-2005, 12:14 PM
If it's the case they're planning on releasing a figure from Ep3, they could either:

1. Demonstrate how detailed the figures could be by releasing the likes of Grievous...or

2. Demonstrate how good they are at getting the likeness spot on at that scale by releasing the likes of Anakin.

:drool

dstephan
08-01-2005, 12:34 PM
I'd be surprised if we EVER see a Grievous in this line, but if we do it will be after the armored characters I'd imagine. It's a completely new tooling, which is okay for Hasbro if you're making 50K, but not so cost effective if you're only doing 5K.

Protozaius
08-01-2005, 10:47 PM
Like most Sideshow 12" lines, I don't think they will start the whole line with the release of just one figure. I believe we will get a few up for pre-order if not several the first time out.

I'm thinking ROTS Anakin and Obi-Wan will be among the first. Seeing that Hasbro never did an EPIII Obi, it would be a shame if Sideshow didn't rectify that oversight immediately!

Believe me, I LOVE the original trilogy, but 12" figures from that part of the saga has been done a lot over the years... however bad they have been. Besides the 1/4 scale figures started within the OT... I just don't think Sideshow will go down that road just yet.

I think Sideshow will decide to start the line in a fresher way... with unveiling figures from the Prequel trilogy.

BDboystoys
08-02-2005, 12:58 AM
hope not, although the prequels were a vision they arnt as good as the originals. i REALLY want a han, luke or an old obi wan. if they do do a prequel character it would be anakin.

dstephan
08-02-2005, 08:22 AM
You're right, they will probably announce 3 or more when they do announce. I hope we don't have to wait until toyfair to hear though.

So a good mix of OT and PT would be a Han, an Arena Padme (sculpted by Andy), and an obscure background character from either.

Protozaius
08-02-2005, 11:04 AM
and an obscure background character from either.

I don't think introducing an obscure background character so early in the line would be the way to go. There are SO many core characters that collectors would LOVE to see done "The Sideshow Way" from BOTH trilogies that to do so would be a waste. Plus, at $40-$50 a pop, I'm inclined to wait for more prominent characters.

Plus, I am skeptical as to the demand for such background characters done in the 1/6 scale. Unlike the small figures, I don't think people are trying to compile a Cantina or Jabba's Palace scene using 12"ers.

Gazmog
08-02-2005, 11:30 AM
So a good mix of OT and PT would be a Han, an Arena Padme (sculpted by Andy), and an obscure background character from either.

I would go for: Leia (Bespin), Obi-Wan Ep3 and Bib Fortuna.

dstephan
08-02-2005, 11:45 AM
okay, maybe not an obscure background character but a tertiary character like Faramir....

...did I say that? :dance

FlyAndFight
08-02-2005, 12:18 PM
okay, maybe not an obscure background character but a tertiary character like Faramir....

:mwaha :lol

screamingmetal
08-02-2005, 01:43 PM
Three characters at the same time? then I think it would be ROTS Obi-Wan, ANH Leia, and a villain, Jar Jar Binks..

.................. :p I would actually pick Grand Moff Tarkin.

JohnyBoo
08-02-2005, 03:10 PM
If they may announce several at once I hope it is a mixture from the movies and books. Something for everyone. There is a huge fan base out there and I hope to get most of them.

Gazmog
08-02-2005, 03:53 PM
I can see my self collecting the droids, clones and principal villains. Gotta keep my street cred...so I may avoid the 'dolls'. :lol

Hardcase 01
08-02-2005, 04:14 PM
Dex.

Nuff said.

pontonboy
08-02-2005, 05:37 PM
Yeah R2D2 that's it with all the jets and gadgets..and a stand for when he's flying..that would be great..R2 has saved everybody soooo many times that he deserves to be first..=)

darth kered
08-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Dex.

the 4 armed guy who owns the diner in episode 2? :google

no thanks.:bonk

there are about 100 characters i'd like to see before him.

Heart Of Stone
08-13-2005, 09:14 PM
Taun-We . I love long legs ! :naughty

Wonderboy43
08-13-2005, 09:59 PM
Vader of course. He's the main character.

Too tough? Try Luke.

Great way to start would be:

Luke (ANH)
Tarkin (ANH)
Tusken Raider (ANH)

Follow with (all ANH):

Han
Obi Wan
Greedo

And then (all ANH):

Vader
Leia
Stormtrooper

And then (all ANH):

Chewie
Sandtrooper (put saved dev. time from Trooper into Chewie)
Jawa

Gazmog
08-14-2005, 07:49 AM
A Jawa: short, just a cloak, a droid caller and a weapon. :p

Protozaius
08-15-2005, 01:48 PM
Wonderboy, I don't think that Sideshow will saddle themselves with just producing figures from the Original Trilogy... let alone figures ONLY from "A New Hope".

The 1/4 scale line started that way... so I don't think it is likely that Sideshow will repeat it. Besides, after talking with a few people at the Sideshow booth at this year's SDCC, I got the impression that we will be treated to a fair amount of prequel figures from the very start.

Sorry.

dstephan
08-15-2005, 03:03 PM
If you figure 8-12 figures a year, I'd imagine that we'll see a mixture of OT and PT and primary and secondary characters. So I doubt it would be like the PTs which will just be the majors - but maybe Obi-Wan (ANH) followed by Padme (AOC), and then maybe Snaggletooth.

Or something like that.

Protozaius
08-15-2005, 09:13 PM
If you figure 8-12 figures a year,

Call me crazy, I think they might have a bigger roll out than that. Think of it, within only one year, Sideshow offered 19 "Planet of the Apes" figures both regular and exclusive releases... released between 11/04 and 8/05.

I wonder when will we get a sneak peek at what they are cooking up. :dunno

And by next year's SDCC will there be 12" Star Wars EXCLUSIVES? :thud

dstephan
08-15-2005, 10:36 PM
19 PotA? Really? yeah, but 16 of them were Taylor.

Now that that's out of the way...

I wasn't counting exclusive versions as being a seperate release, but you're right if they can churn out 15 unique figures from a nothing license like PotA - then we should expect at least twice that per annum for Star Wars.

Protozaius
08-16-2005, 01:49 PM
a nothing license like PotA

:(

RichardW
08-16-2005, 01:58 PM
...then we should expect at least twice that per annum for Star Wars.

I'd rather have quality over quantity.

dstephan
08-16-2005, 02:57 PM
Sorry PZ, the "nothing" remark for PotA was just a joke, after all I bought them all.

But I'd imagine they can produce at least 20 figures a year for Star Wars and not have the quality suffer.

ironman1188
08-16-2005, 04:32 PM
I'm sure there will be joyous and disappointed fans when the first figure is revealed. Personally, I think they should blast onto the scene much as the first film did with that shot of the huge ship reaching across the screen. To that end, they should announce several figures at once, but stagger the release dates to give everyone's wallets a break.

Protozaius
08-16-2005, 05:38 PM
Sorry PZ, the "nothing" remark for PotA was just a joke

No sorry needed... the joke was taken as such. Glad to see that you too supported the line.

I wasn't counting exclusive versions as being a seperate release

I found most of the POTA exclusives were significant because they didn't just involve one added accessory (like Ursus and Caesar... I didn't count those. They usually included a whole different outfit (Zaius) or differently tooled head (Astronaut Taylor, Mutant) which made it (to me anyway) a different figure. Maybe I shouldn't count the two gorillas as separate nor the Lawgiver statues (even then the number would be 17!)I counted them like this:

1- Dr. Zaius
2- Foribidden Zone Dr. Zaius
3- Cornelius
4- Zira
5- Gorilla Enforcer
6- Gorilla Maruader
7- Astronaut Taylor
8- Forbidden Zone Taylor (beard)
9- Lawgiver Statue
10- Slave Taylor
11- Slave Nova
12- Beneath Taylor
13- Astronaut Brent
14- Slave Brent
15- General Ursus
16- Mutant Leader
17- Mutant Jailor
18- Bloody Lawgiver Statue
19- Caesar

But I digress... this thread is about STAR WARS and not some low selling figure line banished to the Forbidden Zone. :angel

I'd imagine they can produce at least 20 figures a year for Star Wars and not have the quality suffer.

I agree. Sideshow has a lot of SW fans to satisfy AND a lot of ground to cover to terms of films. They better get cracking!

they should announce several figures at once, but stagger the release dates to give everyone's wallets a break

Amen, brother!

dstephan
08-16-2005, 05:55 PM
I agree that announcing a bunch at once would be a good idea. At least 3-5. They've made their big splash with the initial announcement, but another one (PLEASE BEFORE TOYFAIR) showing actual product would be very welcome.

screamingmetal
08-16-2005, 07:06 PM
And by next year's SDCC will there be 12" Star Wars EXCLUSIVES?
***** I hope not! It was hard enough trying to get a zombie figure at 5 in the morning, let alone such a popular license that has fans who hasn't bought Sideshow figures yet. There would be a greater onslaught then anything the Empire can unleash. :(