How could Old Ben be so wrong?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wor-Gar

Torturer of OCD
CF Supporter
Reaction score

“He betrayed and murdered your father” – WRONG!

“I haven’t gone by the name Obi-Wan since, oh, before you were born.” – WRONG!

“I don’t remember ever owning a droid.” – WRONG! (whether he ‘owned’ one or not, he had many of them)

"your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough; but your uncle wouldn't allow it." -- WRONG!

So the greatest hero in the greatest Saga ever is left to become a blathering idiot in the movie that started it all. A new generation of kids sees Old Ben as nothing more than a detriment; they must be saying: “get that old coot outta there, he knows nothing!”

What say you, new generation?

Last edited:
Ugh. All of your points are weak.

A recurring theme/line/mentality of the original trilogy is "from a certain point of view."

In that context, everything he said was true.

Jedi are mystics, and often do not speak literally.

Don't forget: "your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough; but your uncle wouldn't allow it." When talkng about anakin's lightsaber.

Oh yeah! Let's add that to the "Got it so wrong" list!

Ugh. All of your points are weak.

A recurring theme/line/mentality of the original trilogy is "from a certain point of view."

In that context, everything he said was true.

Jedi are mystics, and often do not speak literally.

:lol You're funny.

What recurring theme is there exactly? I know Ben says this -- to cover his ass -- but what evidence is there in ANH or ESB that this is a true theme?

We should also start a new thread on Han... He was a crap smuggler, really. I mean, Ben made it clear: "Let's just say we'd like to avoid any Imperial entanglements" and what does Han do?? Flys them right into the Death Stars tractor beam! Not to mention the fact that he apparently drops his shipments at the first sign of an Imperial cruiser.... face it, great hero, crap smuggler. :lecture

he just a crazy old hermit..............:panic:

Well wouldn't you be after living for 20 years in a house at a cliff in the middle of nowhere with maybe every week or so some Jawa's robbing your house and Sandpeople hitting you with a gaffi stick when you're just minding your own business? :lol

We should also start a new thread on Han... He was a crap smuggler, really. I mean, Ben made it clear: "Let's just say we'd like to avoid any Imperial entanglements" and what does Han do?? Flys them right into the Death Stars tractor beam! Not to mention the fact that he apparently drops his shipments at the first sign of an Imperial cruiser.... face it, great hero, crap smuggler. :lecture

:lol

And that whole parsec comment. What's his deal?

“He betrayed and murdered your father” – WRONG!

“I haven’t gone by the name Obi-Wan since, oh, before you were born.” – WRONG!

“I don’t remember ever owning a droid.” – WRONG! (whether he ‘owned’ one or not, he had many of them)

"your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough; but your uncle wouldn't allow it." -- WRONG!

So the greatest hero in the greatest Saga ever is left to become a blathering idiot in the movie that started it all. A new generation of kids sees Old Ben as nothing more than a detriment; they must be saying: “get that old coot outta there, he knows nothing!”

What say you, new generation?

Ok for the sake of starting a debate, I'm going to bite on this. LOL

He admitted later to Luke that the line about Vader murdering his father was the truth from a certain point of view. Meaning when he turned to the darkside, the bad in Anakin killed the good side of him.

You got him on the Obi name thing. The simple explanation to this is the first movie being written over 20 years before the Prequels. Don't blame Obi for this mistake, blame George Lucas for not remembering his own films. LOL

He didn't officially own a droid and if he didn't want to let on too much of his past to Luke since he wasn't ready to tell him the truth about Anakin, he probably said that to throw him off.

The last point about his father wanting him to have the lightsaber..well if he is already lying about Vader killing him, how else is he going to explain how he got it?

"Oh I picked up this saber that belonged to your father right after I beat him down and fried him in some lava". One lie leads to another and so on. :lol

"If you choose to fight Vader, you will do it alone. I cannot help you"

^^ Why not? What stopped him? From a certain point of view, this can be seen as a rite of passage.

"If you leave now, help them you could, but you would destroy all for which they have fought and suffered."

^^ Why? They didn't flee the Empire to cover for Luke. They knew nothing about Vader being Luke's father.

"No more training do you require."

^^ Huh? Luke got a crash course in Jedi training, and now he's going to go into the Death Star to have another showdown with Vader, who kicked his tail and cut off his hand during their last encounter. Luke recieved no addition training afterwards. Perhaps this means that Luke is DESTINED to fight and destroy Vader AND the Emperor? That would UNbalance the Force, which is what the Jedi supposedly seek.

"I MUST obey my master."

^^ Why? All he ever did was make Vader a paraplegic, get him to kill his girl, and stop him from ever being with his children. Is it supposed to symbolize the loyalty and adulation of the teacher/student relationship?

There is more, but all of these things are said to Luke. When Obi-Wan or Yoda are the ones talking, they have a vested interest in Luke, and in order for him to fulfill his destiny, certain truths MUST be kept from him. If Obi-Wan, in A New Hope, would've said, "Hey kid, the most rotten murderer in the galaxy is your dad, so we're gonna give you a sword and some lessons, and you gotta go kill him," Luke never would've been able to do it.

The Hero's quest is ALWAYS long and winding. Warrior monks (the Jedi) are usually full of parables and riddles. Lucas borrowed from traditional legends and storytelling. All of these things are present there, and here as well.

Also, Alec Guinness was the ONLY name in A New Hope. You don't go trashing your first meal ticket by making the character a liar.

He couldn't even shoot first! :lecture

Back