Clint Eastwood’s J. EDGAR

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meth head

Super Freak
Reaction score
j-edgar-movie-image-set-photo-leonardo-dicaprio-slice-01.jpg

Collider.com Unofficial set photos have landed online of Leonardo DiCaprio as J. Edgar Hoover in Clint Eastwood’s J. Edgar. Obviously, this is from Hoover’s younger years as opposed to when he was older and had the face of an angry, wrinkled infant. The film will explore Hoover’s closeted homosexuality and his relationship with Clyde Toulson (played by The Social Network’s Armie Hammer).

j-edgar-movie-image-set-photo-leonardo-dicaprio-03-493x600.jpg

j-edgar-movie-image-set-photo-leonardo-dicaprio-02-401x600.jpg

j-edgar-movie-image-set-photo-leonardo-dicaprio-01-401x600.jpg

So, I guess Leo now officially dresses exactly the same in every movie he's in.

Surely he'll have some scenes in drag, though, which should be a nice way of shaking things up.

So, I guess Leo now officially dresses exactly the same in every movie he's in.

Surely he'll have some scenes in drag, though, which should be a nice way of shaking things up.

doesn't that usually include some facial stubble.

j-edgar-leonardo-dicaprio-armie-hammer-slice.jpg

It looked like Clint Eastwood’s J. Edgar was going to bypass the festival circuit entirely before opening on November 9th, but now it will hit up one fest along the way. Deadline reports that the J. Edgar Hoover biopic will open this year’s AFI Fest on November 3rd. Warner Bros. insiders say that it’s Eastwood’s best shot at an Oscar since Million Dollar Baby, and it’s really surprising that people who work for the studio distributing J. Edgar would be talking up J. Edgar‘s Oscar chances. You’ll forgive my skepticism since Eastwood hasn’t directed a great film since Unforgiven (his output since then has ranged from good to unwatchable). His new M.O. is to take weighty subject matter and let that power the film without actually providing any insight or ambiguity.

However, I’ll end up seeing it since I always turn out for Eastwood. Hoover is a fascinating and influential figure and I want the film to be good especially since it’s got a great cast in Leonardo DiCaprio, Naomi Watts, Armie Hammer, and Judi Dench. It’s worth noting that opening AFI Fest doesn’t always get the Oscar ball rolling. Last year’s opener was Love & Other Drugs.

I hate movies and tv shows that have people's names as the title, "Paul" for example, but at least with this one you know what its about. :lol

Trailer is online for those interested. It appears Leo is in over his head on this one. He can't seem to hold his accent and its incredibly distracting. Movie looks average.

Uh...this is the only trailer I found....

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VaV2RYvK3w"]First Look J. Edgar (2011) - HD part 1/3 - YouTube[/ame]

:lol

Trailer is online for those interested. It appears Leo is in over his head on this one. He can't seem to hold his accent and its incredibly distracting. Movie looks average.

I have to agree with you :( I am not sure if because you said it I noticed it more but he does seem to be struggling with the accent.

Just saw the trailer - wow, the accent is certainly all over the place and extremely distracting

Would've been better to just stick to his normal modern day American accent I think

Still keen to see this

Just saw the trailer - wow, the accent is certainly all over the place and extremely distracting

Would've been better to just stick to his normal modern day American accent I think

Still keen to see this

:exactly:

Leo is in my top 3 actors and I am surprised he has not nailed this but on the evidence of the trailer he does maybe seem a little out of his depth :monkey2

I can't believe I would ever think or say that about him!

Here's a youtube trailer for those who can't be bothered.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XULIO67YIRA"]J. Edgar (2011) Official Trailer - HD Movie - Leonardo DiCaprio New Film - YouTube[/ame]

Looks alright. I'll check it out.

I'm not exactly Leo's biggest fan (I think his success is due more to the great directors he's worked with so frequently than due to his own acting chops), but the accent didn't seem too weird to me. I'll most likely watch it on Netflix.

In a very bizarre turn of events, it seems that the Federal Bureau of Investigation is all riled up over Clint Eastwood's latest movie, J. Edgar. Which, of course, stars Leonardo DiCaprio as the FBI's founding director, J. Edgar Hoover.

So when the bureau's not chasing down Scarlett Johansson's nude pics, it's all up in Clint's business! What's up with the FBI going all Hollywood these days?

Color us not surprised it has everything to do with Eastwood's portrayal of The Hoov. And remember we first criticized Clint for failing to make the character "gay-enough."

Now it seems the FBI is all peeved at C. for his "false" portrayal of J. Edgar's sexuality and, according to USA Today, even Assistant FBI Director Mike Kortan tried to persuade Eastwood from depicting Hoover's rumored relaysh with right-hand-man, Clyde Tolson:

"Vague rumors and fabrications have cropped up from time to time," Kortan said, "but there is no evidence in the historical record on this issue."

Well, duh, there's no evidence. The dude was infamous for digging up other's secrets! Ya really think he's going to keep a record of his, shall we say, indiscretions?

And leave it to William Branon, chairman of The J. Edgar Hoover Foundation to take the matter one step further in a letter he wrote to Eastwood:

"These allegations spun by an author of questionable repute and sensationalized writings were 'based' upon information provided during a paid interview of an unreliable individual with past convictions for perjury. To discount the truth and portray a sexual relationship between Mr. Hoover and Clyde Tolson would truly be a miscarriage of the facts and overshadow the many contributions of Mr. Hoover."

You can read the entire letter for yourself, but their gist is that Edgar wasn't gay, and portraying a homosexual relationship will only damage his reputation.

Forgot that showing every side of Hoover might help us better understand the man, and our country for that matter, since the dude did forever change the way we fight crime.

And in case you were wondering, the "author of questionable repute" is indeed out-and-proud Dustin Lance Black, who recently won an Oscar for his screenwriting in Milk (guess those credentials mean little in the eyes of the FBI?).

So while Eastwood reassured the big guys there is no cross-dressing or portrayal of a homosexual relaysh, we beg to differ, and know there is at least one major smooch scene between Leonardo DiCaprio (J. Edgar) and Armie Hammer (Clyde Tolson) in the flick.

So is it an honest portrayal what Eastwood's after or is he just catering to the Oscar's love of a little guy-on-guy action?

https://uk.eonline.com/news/the_awf..._medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=imdb_topstories

Back