Lighting Options for a Besta

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinqcuonq

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm looking for some lights in my besta cabinet and I really want to avoid drilling holes and having visible wires running through my shelves. It seemed my only option would be to use battery powered lights like those LED pucks but I don't want to open my cabinets to turn on each individual light every time.

I finally ran across these which would have been perfect if it wasn't for the swivel head. Its too bulky and big. I'm still considering it to possibly modify it to just look like a regular LED puck. I was wondering if anyone experienced these lights before or may share their thoughts of any alternatives.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
I think we ought to merge a few of these lighting threads and sticky it. Lighting of our collectable is just as important as the case we put them in if not more important and it be nice to just check one thread to see all options we can find. These wireless battery LEDs with remotes are great ideas! Just wonder how much light you get out of these.

I agree, I would have posted in the other lighting threads but it seemed specific to the op's questions and I didn't want to hijack their thread. I'll post some pictures when I give these lights a shot. I wished there were more alternatives than the typical IKEA dioders which are great but I hate seeing visible running wires.

I agree, I would have posted in the other lighting threads but it seemed specific to the op's questions and I didn't want to hijack their thread. I'll post some pictures when I give these lights a shot. I wished there were more alternatives than the typical IKEA dioders which are great but I hate seeing visible running wires.

Yeah, that's the problem I had when I made my LED thread. You could've posted in mine though. In fact, I'm gonna go put a note in the first post saying that all lighting is open for discussion in my thread.

I thought about pucks at first, but I really wanted strips for my Besta. I just don't think that a single puck will be enough to fully light an entire shelf.

So I went ahead and bought those remote controlled LED puck lights since they were the best I could find that would serve my needs. Thought I share these as another alternative for lighting. They are not as bright as your IKEA strips as some were concerned about but for me its bright enough. Not the best photos but you can get an idea of how they look.

IMG_5963.jpg

IMG_5959.jpg

IMG_5951.jpg

All in all, I'm really satisfied with them. They helped solve my problem against having exposed wires in a display and drilling holes in my besta. To top it off, the added convenience of the remote control that turns on all 6 lights, so I don't have to open all my glass doors to turn on each individual light. Did I mention all 20 batteries were included?

Last edited:
The brightness of the IM lights gives me an idea how bright these pucks are and it seems sufficient and will do the job just fine. Nice! oops these are not HT IM so I have no reference afterall :p

The brightness of the IM lights gives me an idea how bright these pucks are and it seems sufficient and will do the job just fine. Nice! oops these are not HT IM so I have no reference afterall :p

Yea, I turned on the lights for comparison purposes. I think the IM maquette lights are bright if not brighter than the HT IM's lights.

So I went ahead and bought those remote controlled LED puck lights since they were the best I could find that would serve my needs. Thought I share these as another alternative for lighting. They are not as bright as your IKEA strips as some were concerned about but for me its bright enough. Not the best photos but you can get an idea of how they look.

IMG_5963.jpg

IMG_5959.jpg

IMG_5951.jpg

All in all, I'm really satisfied with them. They helped solve my problem against having exposed wires in a display and drilling holes in my besta. To top it off, the added convenience of the remote control that turns on all 6 lights, so I don't have to open all my glass doors to turn on each individual light. Did I mention all 20 batteries were included?

Woww that looks great. I still trying to set up my besta. Might buy these now instead of the strip lights. Can u upload a picture of the whole unit with the lights on? Just curious how it would look from far. Thanks

Woww that looks great. I still trying to set up my besta. Might buy these now instead of the strip lights. Can u upload a picture of the whole unit with the lights on? Just curious how it would look from far. Thanks

I am out of town at the moment but will do when I come back.

Those puck lights are exactly what I've been looking for! I have the same dark wood Besta unit and it's a little too dark, especially for the room I have it displayed in.
Whilst those particular lights don't seem to be available here in the UK (and Costco don't ship international) there do, however, seem to be a few alternatives around that may prove to more than adequate.

Kudos to kinqcuonq for pointing me (and others) in the right direction. :clap

No problem. You won't regret it, I would have the remote in my hands and turn on the lights the moment people enter my pitch black room. Wows them every time. :rock

Last edited:
How do those pucks attach to the cabinet surface? if adhesive does it seem pretty stable? I've had the smaller LED pucks (the ones you push to turn on), which are mounted by adhesive pads, fall off too easily.

I have them attached by the adhesives it came with. They haven't came off since I've had them attached and they seem pretty strong. I twisted the lights off to get to the batteries before too and the base still stayed attached to the shelf. However, only time will tell.

I also have another/different puck light in my detolf and those have stayed on for almost 2 years already so I guess it depends on what kind of adhesives you use.

Back