Display cabinets designed to protect collectibles during Natural disasters

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

work13

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Like many of you, I have some collectibles that are kind of expensive and thus, It would be nice to have the added security of having my figures protected in times of natural disaster( such as earthquake, floods, fire, etc..). Are there any display cabinets out there that are sturdy enough to withstand natural disasters and protect our collectibles?

unless its made out of steel or concret, no.

I was hoping you wouldn't say that. It would be awesome if they made a display cabinet that was at least water-proof to where the collectibles inside would be sealed in the cabinet during a flood to protect them from getting wet. I guess an acrylic cabinet would be best in terms of it being shatter-proof if it were to tip over. And maybe adding some foam or small padding lining the walls of each cube in the display cabinet to protect the figures incase the cabinate were to tip over and fall during an earthquake.

I'm just amazed that there are no companies out there that sell such protective display cabinets. I bet there would be a huge market for one. Anyone out there with an engineering degree who can create one or make recommendations on how to build a water,earthquake,fire-proof display cabinet?

Last edited:
that's going to be tough depending on your definition of natural disaster. If your house cannot withstand the disaster nothing inside will. The one thing you can and better do to make sure your insurance company has record of your collection and covers it in case of such disaster.... which reminds me I better look into that myself.... In my are with lack of such disasters I can only imagine a small increase in premium to increase the coverage inside the house

that's going to be tough depending on your definition of natural disaster. If your house cannot withstand the disaster nothing inside will. The one thing you can and better do to make sure your insurance company has record of your collection and covers it in case of such disaster.... which reminds me I better look into that myself.... In my are with lack of such disasters I can only imagine a small increase in premium to increase the coverage inside the house
Nice Display cases! Did you make them yourself? You're right about the coverage, but I live in an earthquake prone area, and earthquake insurance is crazy expensive. That's why I was hoping for a earthquake proof display cabinet, to avoid paying for earthquake insurance. Insurance for fire and flood are spotty as well, because if an earthquake causes a fire or flood, the fire and flood insurance most likely wont cover the damage. So I'm kind of stuck just buying a real hardy display case or just making my own.

As far as my definition of natural disaster, I just mean anything that can cause my cabinet to tip over and fall down, or if a light fixture or something from the ceiling were to fall on top of the cabinet, that the cabinet would be able to withstand the damage.

Nice Display cases! Did you make them yourself? You're right about the coverage, but I live in an earthquake prone area, and earthquake insurance is crazy expensive. That's why I was hoping for a earthquake proof display cabinet, to avoid paying for earthquake insurance. Insurance for fire and flood are spotty as well, because if an earthquake causes a fire or flood, the fire and flood insurance most likely wont cover the damage. So I'm kind of stuck just buying a real hardy display case or just making my own.

As far as my definition of natural disaster, I just mean anything that can cause my cabinet to tip over and fall down, or if a light fixture or something from the ceiling were to fall on top of the cabinet, that the cabinet would be able to withstand the damage.

Well if it was a situation of the house still standing and the roof still being on top.....
I would anchor all (and I mean all even the noncritical ones as they could tip and take down your precious ones) free standing shelves to the backwall. Depending on the weight of the shelf and content be sure to use strong enough anchors and possibly strengthening the drywall with wood panels. At least that is what I would do. It be little cost just lots of work. You can also look into strengthening the glass in the doors. I think I saw transparent plastic films that you can put on glass yourself that will make it shatter proof
As for flooding if the risk is truly there I would look into investing into a pump.
Btw I assume you are referring to my sig. Yeah I made those myself but well they are not disaster proof, probably not even childproof :lol

Well if it was a situation of the house still standing and the roof still being on top.....
I would anchor all (and I mean all even the noncritical ones as they could tip and take down your precious ones) free standing shelves to the backwall. Depending on the weight of the shelf and content be sure to use strong enough anchors and possibly strengthening the drywall with wood panels. At least that is what I would do. It be little cost just lots of work. You can also look into strengthening the glass in the doors. I think I saw transparent plastic films that you can put on glass yourself that will make it shatter proof
As for flooding if the risk is truly there I would look into investing into a pump.
Btw I assume you are referring to my sig. Yeah I made those myself but well they are not disaster proof, probably not even childproof :lol
thanks Geil for the suggestion. Anchoring it to one of the walls is probably my best bet for protecting my collectibles.

Back