Creating a Detolf with adjustable shelves

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollandX

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey all-- I was surfing around looking for examples of displaying collectibles in Detolfs and found this. I thought it might be of interest to those of you who want to create adjustable shelves in your Detolf.

One draw back to the Deltorf cases are that there are only three fixed shelves. (That and the fact that they don't come in a super size to fit 1/32 scale Beaufighters or Ju-88's. :p ) I've always wanted to add extra shelves to increase the carrying capacity but I couldn't come up with a way the attach the shelves to the wire uprights inside the case. The other day I was wandering through one of those Mega-Hardware stores (Bunnings) when I spied a package of 3mm wire rope grips ( A U shaped bracket with a closing plate and two bolts.) This got me to thinking that four of these could make suitable props for some movable shelves.

Here's what they look like installed.

bracket.jpg

I had some glass shelves cut by the local glazer and added little spacers made from silicon tubing from the R/C model aircraft section of the hobby shop. It's a little bit of work to get all four rope grips level so that the shelf doesn't rock. But it's a two minute job and doubles the shelving capacity. Best of all it doesn't look too homemade/bodged together. :eek:

casesclose.jpg

midcases.jpg

Sorry about the bad photos but I find it really hard to get good photos of glass cases.

I'm only going to add extra shelves to the top two 'bays' on my cases as I've got big stuff to put in the bottom shelves. I hope I did an okay job describing this and you find it helpful.

Thanks for looking.

Dan

Source: https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=24224

Back