Advice on lighting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloud Warrior

Super Freak
Reaction score
I have 2 deltofs. Currently have got just 1 lighted by some white LED Christmas tree lights. They do the job fairly well, not great amount light to show every feature in each figure. I would take a picture to show but I only have a rubbish mobile phone camera that makes everything look out of focus.

I have been thinking about the official ikea lights but I have not been able to do a successful search for - deltof case, dioder lights , 1/6 figures and a dark room.
I'd like to see how they light and to see if they justify the price difference. £6 for 100 Christmas lights or £20-40 for the dioder's. Any links would greatly be appreciated as would opinions.

For now I am trying to think of a better way to attach the Christmas lights (currently they are wrapped around the metal supports inside). Due to this majority of the lights are not "aimed" inwards and of the figures themselves. I think this is leading to the lack of detail seen.

Can anyone suggest a way to attach them aimed inwards while not looking tacky ?.
I am also thinking about getting some clear tubing to line the door to prevent major dust.

Thanks in advance, I am sure the great SSF community will come to my aid. :1-1:

since you are thinking of tubing anyways how about putting the Christmas lights into some of these tubes and then cover up a portion of it with Duct Foil to force the light through a smaller parts of the tube... just a thought.. I never tried myself though.
I was going to use either Dioder or some generic LED strips and then cut up some mirror back acrylic strips and bend them to achieve the same

I had considered some sort of tubing to aim them with some reflectors on the back. I'm just not sure how it would look. I'd have to cut open the tubing, make holes for the lights to come through and will have to make each side symmetrical. But ... I could get the tubing and cut to fit in between each light. A lot, lot, lot of work but they may look better.

Seemed like a load of work for something that could fail if one piece is out. But it will be an option to go for if nothing else come up.

I could do with some sort of clip that would hold the lights cable in place letting the bulb be aimed inwards. But again I would require a load and I am weary of the look.

Maybe before you invest anymore into the current solution you should just get the diocese and try it out so you know you won't regret. They are not cheap but they are very flexible in their setup and the white is mOre of a warm tone and good for figures. Plenty of pictures of member setup too here in this section and maybe others
Can even post right here. I can't help as my setup has been unfinished and unlit for months :(

Issue for me with the official lights is price. Direct from an IEKA store they cost more than a display case. Even on ebay they go for a little over half the price.

Want to try alternate methods first before setting on the expensive kit.

EDIT : I've lost my measuring tape. Does anyone know the thickness of the internal metal bars in a Deltof ?. Would 3mm tubing be to little ?.

Last edited:
Looking into the plastic tubing idea. I can get 10 meters of 3mm aquarium tubing for £4/$6.50. At prices like this I would be happy to try it as its not a huge cost.

Just need to find out the diameter of the metal inside. I am assuming 3mm internal on the tubing would OK when cut open to fit on the bars ?. I was always useless in math about the internal measurements of something.
The cabling from the tree lights are not to bulky. What I would hope for is the clear tubing to be able to fit around the bars with the cables inside to give a tight fit. Would be a lot of work to cut and fit tubes in between every light but I think it may work. The more I think now you posted Geil the more I am liking the concept.

Pictures attached to show what I mean about overall light and cables. I know there not the best for quality but they do show how much light I do get. Both pictures where taken with no flash and the cabinet was the only source of light.

it's 7mm or 5/16"
Looks too dim to me but as long as you are happy with it in person then this seems to be a good way to do it.
I was actually thinking of a much bigger tube so the LED resides inside the tube so it looks more like a rope light instead of a Christmas light

Thanks for the measurement. Will make the search a little easier.
Its not the brightest way to go, can see most detail but it seems "hazy". As a person with glasses I would describe it like when I felt my vision deteriorate.
Camera hasn't helped much but the xmas lights give a warm glow. As I have a small collection I wanted to try to prioritise larger amounts of money to the products and not the display.

I never thought of putting the lights in the tubing, may look a bit better. If I get the Dioder I can always use this idea for my NECA figures case. I was thinking about ..
-- (light)
I (bar with cabling)
I (bar with cabling)
-- (light)
- (shelf)

Thinking at aloud again. Are the Dioder pucks or strips that good ?. I did have a look around and I only saw a few. Seemed every shelf page I went into was all custom displays. :(.

Would a strip at the front of each shelf light everything up OK ?. Would a puck underneath each shelf be better ?. I am also asking (and getting good help) at making moulds. I have to find a balance due to limited buget.

Please don't take this as laziness, I always fail when it comes to using a search engine. I just don't word my searches right and plain olde looking is just as bad. With time and age it just gets worse. 26 yr old male and I feel like an OAP.

Can any collectors using IKEA deltof cases with the dioder lights (both strips and pucks) please post/link me to some good pictures please. Posting on here and thinking about the problem the IKEA lights are becoming more of an option for me.

I just want to see how good both the strips (I was thinking one strip at the front of each shelf) and pucks (middle of each shelf) would look. Especially at night. If they are good enough I am happy to pay the extra and then just not use a lamp at night.

Between Geil helping me with lighting and Dorgmal Snow with casting I am right back at school. Being taught by the professors of there respective professions.

EDIT : Would these at the front of each shelf look good and light better ?.

Last edited:
Little bump. Opinions of lighting still appreciated. Trying to balance - cost/look/amount of light given.

I think the strips might work as would the pucks but cant decide.

I was always tempted to get LED strips from different online stores or even eBay but looking at pictures you really can;t be sure of color and brightness. Someday I may order a bunch to try side by side but for now I have not done so and have not found anyone to do this sort of comparison. Maybe you have better luck finding such comparison online these days?
As for my own preference I choose LED strips. Pucks are really more appropriate for a single figure display but I would never have the luxury of doing that in any of my displays :p

I am going to message the feebay user selling them asking for a picture or two if he/she has any.

I wasn't sure on the pucks either, which is why I asked. As my collection on each shelf will be in a triangle formation I was afraid that lighting in the middle would be lost on the front two figures.

Which is a similar problem I have now with the tree lights. The middle or back figure is missing out on light as the front two are essentially blocking the bar mounted lights.

I wish I had the money to just take a risk and get lights but I have to make sure what I buy will be the right ones.

Thanks as always Geil.

User has no pictures. Apparently they are official IKEA lights.

Can anyone post a picture or two of the strip/puck lights on please ?. Preferable at night and in a deltof.

I will continue to look around but if a user with the set up could post and give impression I would really appreciate it. I have now got my last figures in the case and its full. I just want to get some lighting sorted so it can be left alone.

Yeah this subsection is not very busy. Those lights at that price are a good deal IMO. These do show up at times on sale but well nothing has been price reduced in my part of town yet though :(. I doubt you can get much cheaper even the DIY route. Stop torturing yourself you will not regret getting these :D

:borg:

Getting to the stage of trading in my Man card and just giving up.

Having so much trouble finding a set of 4 LED strips that will have enough cable to fit a deltof and be affordable. Spending some time on feebay UK looking for LED strips has given me a headache from all the 1m+ lights and car set-ups.

Seems everything I have given a little effort to recently has failed badly and left me with no success only time and brain cells wasted.

did you see the other LED thread .. I am tempted to get some of that and if shipping s cheap to your location it might just be cheaper and better option?

I would have to get some sort of electric converter for that route ?.
Think I will try a little longer at sourcing them myself to attempt to avoid all possible problems. If I pay you, you send them and they get lost it would just be more hassle then its really worth IMO.

Thanks for the offer, very nice of you. Again the kindness of others shocks me.
Shame the world is not full of helpful people. Think about it ....we could rule the WORLD !.

It would help if a UK user could post about the LED market. As my lighting has either come from a brick and mortar store or ebay I don't know what other sites are available and trustworthy.

actually i never noticed that you were in UK :p
I didnt mean me shipping to you but you could order directly from their site. But you being in UK will raise prices a lil
https://barlighting.com/index.html
there must be a forum where someone in UK found a local online shop that they have bought from?
My Ikea Multicolors were almost $90 no where as functional so I may just return them ( not opened yet) and order these myself just gotto do a bit more research

Back