PDA

View Full Version : Advice on lighting

Cloud Warrior
01-21-2011, 05:57 PM
I have 2 deltofs. Currently have got just 1 lighted by some white LED Christmas tree lights. They do the job fairly well, not great amount light to show every feature in each figure. I would take a picture to show but I only have a rubbish mobile phone camera that makes everything look out of focus.

I have been thinking about the official ikea lights but I have not been able to do a successful search for - deltof case, dioder lights , 1/6 figures and a dark room.
I'd like to see how they light and to see if they justify the price difference. 6 for 100 Christmas lights or 20-40 for the dioder's. Any links would greatly be appreciated as would opinions.

For now I am trying to think of a better way to attach the Christmas lights (currently they are wrapped around the metal supports inside). Due to this majority of the lights are not "aimed" inwards and of the figures themselves. I think this is leading to the lack of detail seen.

Can anyone suggest a way to attach them aimed inwards while not looking tacky ?.
I am also thinking about getting some clear tubing to line the door to prevent major dust.

Thanks in advance, I am sure the great SSF community will come to my aid. :1-1:

Geil
01-21-2011, 09:45 PM
since you are thinking of tubing anyways how about putting the Christmas lights into some of these tubes and then cover up a portion of it with Duct Foil to force the light through a smaller parts of the tube... just a thought.. I never tried myself though.
I was going to use either Dioder or some generic LED strips and then cut up some mirror back acrylic strips and bend them to achieve the same

Cloud Warrior
01-22-2011, 08:34 AM
I had considered some sort of tubing to aim them with some reflectors on the back. I'm just not sure how it would look. I'd have to cut open the tubing, make holes for the lights to come through and will have to make each side symmetrical. But ... I could get the tubing and cut to fit in between each light. A lot, lot, lot of work but they may look better.

Seemed like a load of work for something that could fail if one piece is out. But it will be an option to go for if nothing else come up.

I could do with some sort of clip that would hold the lights cable in place letting the bulb be aimed inwards. But again I would require a load and I am weary of the look.

Geil
01-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Maybe before you invest anymore into the current solution you should just get the diocese and try it out so you know you won't regret. They are not cheap but they are very flexible in their setup and the white is mOre of a warm tone and good for figures. Plenty of pictures of member setup too here in this section and maybe others
Can even post right here. I can't help as my setup has been unfinished and unlit for months :(

Cloud Warrior
01-22-2011, 02:15 PM
Issue for me with the official lights is price. Direct from an IEKA store they cost more than a display case. Even on ebay they go for a little over half the price.

Want to try alternate methods first before setting on the expensive kit.

EDIT : I've lost my measuring tape. Does anyone know the thickness of the internal metal bars in a Deltof ?. Would 3mm tubing be to little ?.

Cloud Warrior
01-22-2011, 04:04 PM
Looking into the plastic tubing idea. I can get 10 meters (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380188711587&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT) of 3mm aquarium tubing for 4/$6.50. At prices like this I would be happy to try it as its not a huge cost.

Just need to find out the diameter of the metal inside. I am assuming 3mm internal on the tubing would OK when cut open to fit on the bars ?. I was always useless in math about the internal measurements of something.
The cabling from the tree lights are not to bulky. What I would hope for is the clear tubing to be able to fit around the bars with the cables inside to give a tight fit. Would be a lot of work to cut and fit tubes in between every light but I think it may work. The more I think now you posted Geil the more I am liking the concept.

Pictures attached to show what I mean about overall light and cables. I know there not the best for quality but they do show how much light I do get. Both pictures where taken with no flash and the cabinet was the only source of light.

Cloud Warrior
01-23-2011, 04:50 PM
I got a measuring tape but its one of the long builders one. Does anyone know the thickness please ?.

Geil
01-23-2011, 08:20 PM
it's 7mm or 5/16"
Looks too dim to me but as long as you are happy with it in person then this seems to be a good way to do it.
I was actually thinking of a much bigger tube so the LED resides inside the tube so it looks more like a rope light instead of a Christmas light

Cloud Warrior
01-24-2011, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the measurement. Will make the search a little easier.
Its not the brightest way to go, can see most detail but it seems "hazy". As a person with glasses I would describe it like when I felt my vision deteriorate.
Camera hasn't helped much but the xmas lights give a warm glow. As I have a small collection I wanted to try to prioritise larger amounts of money to the products and not the display.

I never thought of putting the lights in the tubing, may look a bit better. If I get the Dioder I can always use this idea for my NECA figures case. I was thinking about ..
-- (light)
I (bar with cabling)
I (bar with cabling)
-- (light)
- (shelf)

Thinking at aloud again. Are the Dioder pucks or strips that good ?. I did have a look around and I only saw a few. Seemed every shelf page I went into was all custom displays. :(.

Would a strip at the front of each shelf light everything up OK ?. Would a puck underneath each shelf be better ?. I am also asking (and getting good help) at making moulds. I have to find a balance due to limited buget.

Cloud Warrior
01-24-2011, 02:52 PM
Please don't take this as laziness, I always fail when it comes to using a search engine. I just don't word my searches right and plain olde looking is just as bad. With time and age it just gets worse. 26 yr old male and I feel like an OAP.

Can any collectors using IKEA deltof cases with the dioder lights (both strips and pucks) please post/link me to some good pictures please. Posting on here and thinking about the problem the IKEA lights are becoming more of an option for me.

I just want to see how good both the strips (I was thinking one strip at the front of each shelf) and pucks (middle of each shelf) would look. Especially at night. If they are good enough I am happy to pay the extra and then just not use a lamp at night.

Between Geil helping me with lighting and Dorgmal Snow with casting I am right back at school. Being taught by the professors of there respective professions.

EDIT : Would these (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190477724305&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT) at the front of each shelf look good and light better ?.

Cloud Warrior
01-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Little bump. Opinions of lighting still appreciated. Trying to balance - cost/look/amount of light given.

I think the strips might work as would the pucks but cant decide.

Geil
01-26-2011, 11:07 AM
I was always tempted to get LED strips from different online stores or even eBay but looking at pictures you really can;t be sure of color and brightness. Someday I may order a bunch to try side by side but for now I have not done so and have not found anyone to do this sort of comparison. Maybe you have better luck finding such comparison online these days?
As for my own preference I choose LED strips. Pucks are really more appropriate for a single figure display but I would never have the luxury of doing that in any of my displays :p

Cloud Warrior
01-26-2011, 01:23 PM
I am going to message the feebay user selling them asking for a picture or two if he/she has any.

I wasn't sure on the pucks either, which is why I asked. As my collection on each shelf will be in a triangle formation I was afraid that lighting in the middle would be lost on the front two figures.

Which is a similar problem I have now with the tree lights. The middle or back figure is missing out on light as the front two are essentially blocking the bar mounted lights.

I wish I had the money to just take a risk and get lights but I have to make sure what I buy will be the right ones.

Thanks as always Geil.

Cloud Warrior
01-27-2011, 06:51 AM
User has no pictures. Apparently they are official IKEA lights.

Can anyone post a picture or two of the strip/puck lights on please ?. Preferable at night and in a deltof.

I will continue to look around but if a user with the set up could post and give impression I would really appreciate it. I have now got my last figures in the case and its full. I just want to get some lighting sorted so it can be left alone.

Geil
01-27-2011, 08:25 AM
Yeah this subsection is not very busy. Those lights at that price are a good deal IMO. These do show up at times on sale but well nothing has been price reduced in my part of town yet though :(. I doubt you can get much cheaper even the DIY route. Stop torturing yourself you will not regret getting these :D

:borg:

Cloud Warrior
01-27-2011, 01:45 PM
Re read the lighting strips and they are only 10cm apart. :(

The search continues.

Cloud Warrior
01-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Getting to the stage of trading in my Man card and just giving up.

Having so much trouble finding a set of 4 LED strips that will have enough cable to fit a deltof and be affordable. Spending some time on feebay UK looking for LED strips has given me a headache from all the 1m+ lights and car set-ups.

Seems everything I have given a little effort to recently has failed badly and left me with no success only time and brain cells wasted.

Geil
01-28-2011, 08:47 PM
did you see the other LED thread .. I am tempted to get some of that and if shipping s cheap to your location it might just be cheaper and better option?

Cloud Warrior
01-28-2011, 09:07 PM
I would have to get some sort of electric converter for that route ?.
Think I will try a little longer at sourcing them myself to attempt to avoid all possible problems. If I pay you, you send them and they get lost it would just be more hassle then its really worth IMO.

Thanks for the offer, very nice of you. Again the kindness of others shocks me.
Shame the world is not full of helpful people. Think about it ....we could rule the WORLD !.

It would help if a UK user could post about the LED market. As my lighting has either come from a brick and mortar store or ebay I don't know what other sites are available and trustworthy.

Geil
01-28-2011, 09:24 PM
actually i never noticed that you were in UK :p
I didnt mean me shipping to you but you could order directly from their site. But you being in UK will raise prices a lil
http://barlighting.com/index.html
there must be a forum where someone in UK found a local online shop that they have bought from?
My Ikea Multicolors were almost $90 no where as functional so I may just return them ( not opened yet) and order these myself just gotto do a bit more research

Cloud Warrior
01-29-2011, 04:52 AM
There probably is a UK forums with lighting somewhere. I just don't know where to look. I am totally useless at finding the words google search likes.

I'm at a loss on what to do. I am unsure if I am expecting to much for my budget or I'm simply very bad at searches.
I have tried a few things like LED Strips in feebay UK and all I get is 5m lengths or exposed smaller strips.

Think I may have to give my little brother a call and get him to price up a fitted system from him.

Thanks again Geil.

Cloud Warrior
02-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Bump. I am still lost on what to do for lighting. I would really appreciate a UK member to help guide me to some affordable lighting.

I have given feebay UK a good look, for searches under LED lighting strip the mass majority are over 5m in length. ATM I am thinking that 4 separate strips at no more than 14 inches in length each are the best bet.

Again, this is an assumption. I would really like someone to give opinions on different styles,links to UK available lighting and if possible some pictures showing what different applications and products could give me.

Having a Ikea Deltof full of figures is really begging for some appropriate lighting to show them all off. I am now sourcing little pieces to finish each figure off. Items such as Clone buckets for a sith, skulls for predators etc - I just feel that the Christmas tree lights I have in currently are not giving the pieces any justice.

Geil
02-01-2011, 09:33 PM
something that may help you... I found cheap lighting options for computer case mods and they come in all colors and shapes and is quite common. Now that bad part is that if you get about the same length of lights it will end up costing just the same as the Ikea dioders :p

Cloud Warrior
02-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Thats the way its looking ATM. All alternatives are out-pricing themselves against the IKEA's.

Argh, I should just give up but I want to show the case of even if its just for me.

Cloud Warrior
02-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Can a UK poster please post something in the way of lighting ?. As previously mentioned, this does seem like a quiet area. Thankfully I have had the good company of Geil but a UK user would be helpful to link available products.

Even if its to promote the IKEA set again, if I could get a picture to show them of it would help.

Geil
02-04-2011, 10:19 PM
check out vodoun in the DC section.... he is in the UK and has custom shelves now but everyone has owned a detolf at one point :) he should also have a thread here somewhere. worse case I think I will finally have time this weekend to finalize at least one of my detolfs with ikea lighting. he might also be using custom lighting now ;)
as for picture of detolf with dioder light this other thread next door just had it :)
http://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3144577&postcount=61

aaronViolator
02-04-2011, 10:36 PM
hey cloud warrior

heres some pics of my detolf being lit with the dioders from ikea.

iam pretty happy, especially if you have two side by side....more than enough light.

youll be happy...

hey geil loook at the canadians coming to the rescue!!

Geil
02-04-2011, 11:33 PM
yes :lol they do say we are friendly :D
btw those the puck style dioders, great example

aaronViolator
02-05-2011, 06:07 AM
just added one per shelf....even the light stripe ones like yours are amazing...i was thinking of doing those on detolf number 2 soon to come.

Cloud Warrior
02-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Thanks as always for the posts everyone. Glad to get pictures of the IKEA lights in action. I tell no lie, I was picking every other thread looking for both the IKEA cases with the matching lights and I had no luck after 10+ pages. :(

Seeing both the pucks and strips in action I am at a tie between which version is better. IMO the strips offer more coverage which I would like due to details in a few figures being high. But the pucks seem to light the area more.

If I can find the strips cheap I will get them. 40 is still a little high for me as I could just get another case for that price. Adding to the fact delivery/fuel costs and its another headache.

If only I could find strips like the IKEAs on feebay UK. All seem to have such little wire between each strip. 10cm in most cases.

Well atleast I finally know now that down the line if I never find any to my current budget I can rely on the IKEA sets being good.

Cloud Warrior
02-06-2011, 08:26 AM
I have no idea about electrics etc but ..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190477724305&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Could I buy this set of LED strip lights which has 10cm of cable between each strip, cut the middle of each connecting wire and then lengthen it with appropriate electrical cable ?. It would only be a job where I would cut the connecting cable in the middle, strip it a little and then twist the exposed ends to new cabling and then tape it up.
It would probably look bad and not be the best or safest looking thing but I am sure with enough tape I could make it look semi presentable.

I really don't have any clue about electricals other than how to fit a plug. The above works in my mind but I was unsure if it was actually possible/safe. I wouldn't know what cable to use to extend the connection points either.

Another point about the LEDs. From what I have seen they can be very bright. Would the strips at 25cm long, 9 bulbs in each and the power be enough to light a case well ?. This is another thing I know nothing of. I don't understand what I should be looking for.

I really should sort out going back to school or something. I know so little about things like this and its getting rather bad having to ask constantly. It would be easier if I could do a successfully search and understand this new random information given but its like learning how to speak another language backwards.

CTO15
02-06-2011, 08:42 AM
have you tried youtube for advice on electrical info?

I used it to help me add a USB cord to my MK IV LED stand and an external power source to my tumbler.

Youtube is great because there is literally a million how-to videos

Cloud Warrior
02-06-2011, 10:00 AM
have you tried youtube for advice on electrical info?

I used it to help me add a USB cord to my MK IV LED stand and an external power source to my tumbler.

Youtube is great because there is literally a million how-to videos

Like google searches - anyone can make a video. I was a little afraid of getting a guide up that was well presented but simply didn't work and ending up destroying the item to mod.

I was thinking of asking down the line if it was possible to add a wire to IM MK IV and WM to have all the lights power from a plug or bank of battery's. Hate the idea of having 4 switches on each figure and the battery's life. Don't want to totaly take each apart but if I could add a wire to connect each LED and have it almost come out of the back I'm game. I'm still reluctant to MOD any figure due to value.
If they could all be attached to a plug/battery bank and all turn on at once I would be very happy.

LED strips most important ATM though. Will chance a look at youtube and hope that 1) my specific area is covered and 2) its in UK/EURO standards.

Cloud Warrior
02-14-2011, 10:11 AM
Me again.

I'm fairly set on getting these (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190477724305&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT) lights and attempting to extend the cable between each strip. Just not sure on the power side of it. Will it be powerful enough to light a Deltof well ?.

Back to the PVC tubing for holding in the Xmas lights and to "seal" the ends of the glass door. Would 8mm PVC hose (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/8mm-5-16-ID-x11mm-OD-Clear-Un-Reinforced-Pvc-Hose-30m-/300514788081?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item45f813c2f1) be good enough to both wrap around the Deltof's internal metal bars with the thin Xmas tree cable in and also would the hose be good to cut and attach at the length of the door ?.

Cloud Warrior
03-27-2011, 02:30 PM
Still not bought anything :(.

What about Ikea Dioders - white V multicoloured ?. Are the multis any good set as white ?. If they could give a good white colour but give the option to set as another depending on mood it would be a plus.

I just want some lights to light my deltof nice and brightly.

Geil
03-27-2011, 02:43 PM
I have seen the multis as white and they are nowhere near as bright as the dedicated white dioders. Also the white you get don't look white in some of the pictures I have seen..... if I could only remember which thread or even section I saw it :p Might have been Terminator related?

Cloud Warrior
03-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Ah I expected as much. Looking into possibly getting a set of white/colour Ikea Dioders for about 25, a good saving from the Ikea price of 40. If they are that far off white and less bright the normals become the only option.

Just waiting for confirmation on if they are official and the 4 LED strip set now.
Thanks again Geil. Always there to help and always a pleasure to have a little peek at your collection. A treasure trove to aim for if any.

Geil
03-27-2011, 07:14 PM
I just wish I would offer my own pictures but I just cant get off my lazy ars to setup my lights :p but i checked the lights at ikea. I did decide to get a set of multicolors for my Terminator setup eventually

Mr. EcKo
03-27-2011, 08:01 PM
This is what i use now :yess:

http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90939

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DVLqm4tpSvc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Geil
03-27-2011, 08:15 PM
Actually I kept this bookmark and really would love to give it a try but it get's expensive. I think I got the link from somewhere here from some freak ;) So every freak helps out :
http://barlighting.com/index.html

Cloud Warrior
03-28-2011, 02:55 PM
Very nice set up Mr Echo. That is in effect what I want. I'd like each shelf to look well lit during the darker hours and more importantly for each figure to get definition from the light.Colour changing just tops it off.
Reading up it seems LED are the only real option due to light,heat,power etc.
Geil as always thanks. I may be not able to order the recommended lights but I do have more pictures to give more ideas for the flat in general. I really hate having the old main light in the middle of the room on so small lamps are a must for me. If I could get some affordable lighting hidden behind my big TV or a book case or two that would be great.

Hopefully I will hear back about the cheap dioders for one case and then I can put my dim Xmas lights in my less importantly filled deltof. If not I will yet again have to resume the ebay UK search for some affordable strips.

Down the line I may get brave and get a nice bit of kit amongst the sets recommended. Would e nice to have a set of lights that are good and bright but let me alter the colours. I can see it being a nice relaxing addition or just to set the mood of the cabinet.
Further down the line a case full of predators with red lighting would be nice. Could always change it to a purple when I am attempting to "entertain" a lady friend. :slap

Cloud Warrior
04-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Well I got confirmation and I have given into peer pressure :wink1: . I now have a set of dioder strips on there way.
I just want to finish this case now so I can enjoy everything and start to save for the next thing without worrying about unfinished projects.
Ultimately as this is the case where the money has been spent on each figure I felt I needed a sure thing when it came to the lighting. I needed the recommended setup as I didn't want to spend only to feel it was a lackluster effect for my pride of collection.

I do have my other deltof that is currently filled with smaller and less expensive NECA, Mcfarlane and Play Arts figures. I think when the books are balanced this will be the case where I take the risk in getting something a little different lighting wise. Be it a huge LED rope, colour changers etc. May sound petty and strange sweating over prices around $70 but for me a man of so little I have to make every penny make a difference.
I have got a good bit of information and help here, that I hope will slick so I can make the next set of lighting needs a lot less stressful in researching. Thanks for the help everyone, especially you Geil. :thud:

Edit - I have also been thinking of getting some sticky mirrors to add to the internal top and bottom of the case to reflect light. Has anyone done before and have input on this please ?.
Also does anyone in the UK know where to get such a thing. Years ago as I kid I remember so many friends places having 4 sticky back mirrored tiles in the bathroom in a diamond shape. Just cant find them. I picture them as something that should be in a pound shop etc but no luck.

Y4NK33 PL4N3T
04-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Well I got confirmation and I have given into peer pressure :wink1: . I now have a set of dioder strips on there way.
I just want to finish this case now so I can enjoy everything and start to save for the next thing without worrying about unfinished projects.
Ultimately as this is the case where the money has been spent on each figure I felt I needed a sure thing when it came to the lighting. I needed the recommended setup as I didn't want to spend only to feel it was a lackluster effect for my pride of collection.

I do have my other deltof that is currently filled with smaller and less expensive NECA, Mcfarlane and Play Arts figures. I think when the books are balanced this will be the case where I take the risk in getting something a little different lighting wise. Be it a huge LED rope, colour changers etc. May sound petty and strange sweating over prices around $70 but for me a man of so little I have to make every penny make a difference.
I have got a good bit of information and help here, that I hope will slick so I can make the next set of lighting needs a lot less stressful in researching. Thanks for the help everyone, especially you Geil. :thud:

Edit - I have also been thinking of getting some sticky mirrors to add to the internal top and bottom of the case to reflect light. Has anyone done before and have input on this please ?.
Also does anyone in the UK know where to get such a thing. Years ago as I kid I remember so many friends places having 4 sticky back mirrored tiles in the bathroom in a diamond shape. Just cant find them. I picture them as something that should be in a pound shop etc but no luck.

What about heavy duty 2 sided tape by 3M or Scotch to secure a mirror?

Cloud Warrior
04-02-2011, 04:23 AM
Would be a case of needing to still find a suitable thin mirror in the UK, but still a good option.
I also thought of the "mirrored" card paper you can get on ebay but was unsure of the effectiveness.

If I can find a cheap, thin but size fitting mirror the double sided tape is a good go to place.

Geil
04-02-2011, 11:58 AM
You should be able to find mirror back acrylic panels at the likes of Home Depot. The panels are thin enough to slice and break to why ever size you want with cheap tools. The edge may not be as smooth but a but of sanding should take care of it.

WHEN and when I find time I was going to see if I can bend these and make reflective quarterrounds kind of pieces so I an tape some led strips in it to direct the light better and conceal the LEDs themselves from the onlookers which IMO make it look even better

Y4NK33 PL4N3T
04-02-2011, 02:36 PM
You should be able to find mirror back acrylic panels at the likes of Home Depot. The panels are thin enough to slice and break to why ever size you want with cheap tools. The edge may not be as smooth but a but of sanding should take care of it.

WHEN and when I find time I was going to see if I can bend these and make reflective quarterrounds kind of pieces so I an tape some led strips in it to direct the light better and conceal the LEDs themselves from the onlookers which IMO make it look even better

Mirror back acrylic panels? AWESOME! Calling home depot first thing tomorrow lol thanks :clap:yess:

Cloud Warrior
04-07-2011, 09:32 AM
For what its worth I got some craft card from a shop that is mirrored but with a sort of glitter effect. Just need to figure out how to make it permanently stay in a sort of C shape around the LED strip to both reflect the light and to hide the lights.

I thought this would be a good way to see the effect before possibly spending more on proper mirrors only for them to look bad.

Y4NK33 PL4N3T
04-07-2011, 10:29 AM
@ Geil - I went to my local Home Depot and asked for mirrored acrylic panels and they looked at me like I had 3 heads :lol

I explained to 2 different employees that I was looking for a cheap alternative to a mirror that measures 20.5 w x 27.5 L but they had nothing for this application.

Even the mirror section of the Home Depot had nothing close to what I need so I'm currently out of ideas and stuck :slap:panic:

I tried a Michael's craft shop but they weren't of use either :monkey4

Please help! :(:(:(

Geil
04-07-2011, 11:55 PM
actually at my homedepot the mirrored acrylic was in the same shelve as regular acrylic. so yeah it won;t be in the mirror section and oddly I remember it being in the door section as these acrylic panels are usually used to fix exterior storm doors. I will double check next time I visit a HD

Cloud Warrior
04-08-2011, 08:22 AM
Cant wait to see how this turns out for you guys. I love your cases Geil. If I had the space, money and the collection I would totally go for that style.

I plan to empty out the case in a day or two and see how this craft paper turns out. Still cant think of an way to both bounce the light around more and to keep the strips concealed while making it look a little professional.

Geil
04-08-2011, 10:51 PM
there is another way to do it. You can get chrome or aluminum finish metal trims at HD that come in all sort of shape and sizes. The L and U crosssection ones would be most appropriate so you can mount the strip in the trim and then mount the whole thing into the case. I bought a few types as I intend to use them for my custom self so I can hide some CFL lights on the edge of my acrylic shelves. I got some transparent but frosted laminate form HD as well and going to cover my acrylic shelves so the whole thing will act as a light box.... not sure how it will turn out but someday when I get to this project.......

Y4NK33 PL4N3T
04-09-2011, 07:08 PM
I ended up being referred to a local glass place a few towns over, and they'll be able to do my custom mirror for $30 :D I just went with 1/8 inch & will use 3M Heavy Duty 2 sided tape to hold it up. Should have it Monday or Tuesday latest, I'll post a pic when it's up in the Hulkbuster display :)

Geil
04-09-2011, 09:09 PM
thats a deal!

Cloud Warrior
04-10-2011, 05:43 AM
Can wait Y4NK33 PL4N3T. Got my dioders up now but just need the light to bounce around a little as most shelves have 5 figures in a V shape. The back row is a little in the dark.

Its still 100% better than my Christmas lights set up. But they where good for lighting it a bit while I (Geil) put some time into looking up on alternates.

civiclx
04-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Can wait Y4NK33 PL4N3T. Got my dioders up now but just need the light to bounce around a little as most shelves have 5 figures in a V shape. The back row is a little in the dark.

Its still 100% better than my Christmas lights set up. But they where good for lighting it a bit while I (Geil) put some time into looking up on alternates.

pictures Mr:tap

turtle
04-10-2011, 05:57 PM
I did this to mine with the LED strips from IKEA:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a201/turbofishben/collectibles/detolf/1DSC_000135.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a201/turbofishben/collectibles/detolf/1DSC_000159.jpg
]
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a201/turbofishben/collectibles/detolf/1DSC_000153.jpg

seanh5134
04-11-2011, 12:14 AM
I did this to mine with the LED strips from IKEA:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a201/turbofishben/collectibles/detolf/1DSC_000135.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a201/turbofishben/collectibles/detolf/1DSC_000159.jpg
]
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a201/turbofishben/collectibles/detolf/1DSC_000153.jpg

Great idea with the positioning of the lights, any chance of some photos of them in a darkened room or at night? :clap

Geil
04-11-2011, 07:19 AM
Ohhhhhh exactly what I envisioned and proposed just recently! Only thing is due to the height of the preds the setup may benefit from shifting the lights further to the top of each leek so the heads get a good portion of the lights. Otherwise fantastic!!

turtle
04-11-2011, 09:42 AM
Great idea with the positioning of the lights, any chance of some photos of them in a darkened room or at night? :clap

Thanks. Really bright setup. Here are the pics in a dark room:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a201/turbofishben/collectibles/detolf/photo4.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a201/turbofishben/collectibles/detolf/photo3.jpg

Ohhhhhh exactly what I envisioned and proposed just recently! Only thing is due to the height of the preds the setup may benefit from shifting the lights further to the top of each leek so the heads get a good portion of the lights. Otherwise fantastic!!

Thanks Geil. No need to shift the lights up since I moved the preds out (see above pics). When I got this done back in 2009, I wanted it to be as uniform as possible, so I kept the LED in the same spot relative to the shelves. Moving it further up will also expose more white wire.

Geil
04-11-2011, 11:06 AM
oh crap now that is a display!!!!!

seanh5134
04-11-2011, 11:12 AM
Thanks. Really bright setup. Here are the pics in a dark room:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a201/turbofishben/collectibles/detolf/photo4.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a201/turbofishben/collectibles/detolf/photo3.jpg

Thanks Geil. No need to shift the lights up since I moved the preds out (see above pics). When I got this done back in 2009, I wanted it to be as uniform as possible, so I kept the LED in the same spot relative to the shelves. Moving it further up will also expose more white wire.

Thats ace mate, cabinets/lights look wicked. Im hoping to get some detolfs the end of the month and finally get my hot toys out of there boxes. :yess:

cokebabies
04-11-2011, 04:00 PM

That Mark I is BEASTING. "Yeah, I get two shelves to myself. What about it?"

Y4NK33 PL4N3T
04-11-2011, 06:36 PM
Wow 8 Dioders per Detolf :clap Very cool display!

I'm getting 3 pieces in this week plus the mirror for my Hulkbuster display so I will post pix by Friday when everything is up and purty :lol

I need to go back to Ikea for more Dioders, another 3 hr round trip sometime in the near future :thud:

Cloud Warrior
04-13-2011, 02:11 PM
Need a camera to take pictures of my current set up. I only have a very bad mobile cam with no flash.

Hopefully I can get my hands on one as once I get some reflective arc sorted I would like to get some input.

Very nice turtle