12" Question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth Loki

Super Freak
Reaction score
I just got my first SS 12", Luke :chew , and was wondering how many of you use the base that come with the figure? I got a pose I like without it but it I'm sure there's more that could be done if I used the base. I just like the way it looks without the base.

How many of you use the base as part of the display?

After I realized some figures can stand without bases I stopped using them whenever possible, so my Luke is baseless.

The base facilitates easy shuffling of figures on the shelf, and allows for dramatic posing, often with heavy accessories. I use my bases. I love my bases. I want more bases. All your bases are belong to us.

I used to not use bases, but I'm currently trying to locate all of mine because of all the reasons Customikey cited. They can really make the display sing because you can get a wider range of poses. Also they help to keep the display from looking too cluttered with a bunch of figures leaning up against each other.

HOWEVER, I wish SSC did bases like the new HT ones - I think those are a bit slicker and definitely use less room.

Customikey said:
The base facilitates easy shuffling of figures on the shelf, and allows for dramatic posing, often with heavy accessories. I use my bases. I love my bases. I want more bases. All your bases are belong to us.

:rotfl :rotfl

Yeah, me too Mikey... I use all my bases, they aid in moving the figures, holding sick poses and I just like the extra dynamic that they add to the figure as a whole. Most of my current figures would probably fall off of my shelves if I did not use the bases, so I do not see me ever NOT using them.

FlyAndFight said:
Wait until Luke takes a shelf-dive...

Yeah, no kidding. I will NEVER make the mistake of displaying these figures without a base again after the horror I experienced not even ten minutes after opening my Jedi Luke (my first Sideshow figure ever) for the first time:

I had placed him quickly on a shelf while I went across the room to pick up his box to remove some of the accessories. Suddenly, I heard a loud "BAM!" and my heart stopped. I take it gravity didn't quite like the pose I had placed Mr. Skywalker in, because he took a (mere) six inch nosedive onto my computer desk below. I didn't have to inspect him for damage... the giant black spot that took up nearly his entire nose was more than obvious. The small fall had removed all of the paint from what I was celebrating as a "perfect nosed" Luke (after reading minor gripes on rebelscum about those who had blemishes on their figures' paint apps). Any joy of having a "perfect" figure was utterly destroyed at that moment. :monkey2

I only use my bases for figures that can't stand on their own...Although all my Jasons are on their bases as to point out,to the intrained eye that is, which Jason is from which movie..

Bases? Nope. Never use 'em. Well, I never use them to stand up the figures. I've cut parts down for chair bases, made electron force field disseminators out of 'em, used 'em for steps, but stand a figure on 'em....No way!!! :monkey3

I'm not collecting Star Wars, but I just had to chime in here. I will never go without a base/stand for my figures. I learned the hard way.

I've had two figures dive off of my bookshelf. One's head hit another shelf and put a sizable dent in it, and the other struck the hardwood floor head first and the paint was ruined. I believe the head was dented as well, but luckly the sculpt of the hair was wavy to begin with, so it's not noticible. I ended up repainting the entire head. I've grown pretty paranoid about leaving a figure standing on a shelf on its own.

Customikey said:
I use my bases. I love my bases. I want more bases. All your bases are belong to us.

:lol Hilarious.

Only my Freddy figures are displayed baseless. That's just so I can stand them up next to the Furnace environment.

I have a feeling we won't have a choice for Kit. He looks too top heavy. I used to not use the bases, but I figured I don't want any to fall over or off the shelf so I've started to use them. I would use theme bases in a heart beat though. I'm not sure about the Lava droid base though. I guess it depends on how it holds the figure and how I will display Vader. I'll probably use it though. I would be too cool not to.

Back