Finally going to DISNEYWORLD!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthKy

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So my partner and I are finally doing the massive trek from Australia to Orlando to go to Disneyworld and Universal for 10-11 days in early March.(1st-11th)
I have always dreamed of going, im nearly 30 now and i am still so excited to finally be planning a trip there. :yess:

I just wanted to know some insider tips and tricks, how busy you think it it might be that time of year, best way to get tickets? should we prepurchase before we leave or wait till we get there? How do you get fastpasses? Any other info you think might help.
Also looking to get 3-4 day VIP park to park passes for Universal but they are damned expensive, do you guys think its worth spending the extra?

I am soooooooooo excited and cant wait to finally see inside a Disney park, its been a long time coming.

Anyway thanks for looking and appreciate any help.:clap

Fastpass: You use your admission and insert into booths to obtain your fast pass. You're also unable to get a fast pass for another attraction for another hour so choose wisely.

Walt Disney World: if you're staying ON property, you have the options of select magic mornings or extended evenings, allowing you to stay at the parks longer. For extended evenings, you will obtain a wrist band by showing your room key/admission. But keep in mind.... the ENTIRE resort is also doing magic mornings and extended evenings so if you want a less crowded time, go to a different park.

Park Hopping at WDW: the distance between parks are not exactly close and can get pretty annoying. If you're staying ON property and rent a car, you get free parking at the theme parks.

Discount shopping: There is a store in Orlando that disney owns with clearanced merchandise. I suggest making a stop there for some mega cheap shopping. I don't remember where it is but I'm sure you can look it up.

Dining: Many restaurants require reservations in advance. Do you have an idea if you'll be wanting to try any of these? Chances are, many are already booked so definitely plan ahead on food.

There's plenty more folks here that know WDW better that can fill you in with more I'm sure.

since you're going to disney world.. you've GOT to go to the resteraunt AT cinderella's castle. Make your reservations AS SOON AS YOU CAN.

ive been to disneyworld like 10 times...or more...not sure.

heres my list of tips:

1) stay in a disney resort, much easier to travel between parks
2)speed pass when you can
3)get a park map for each park and a marker to mark off what you did already and try to work counter clockwise, people tend to go to the left, you go to the right....unless they are opening up sections of the park at different times.
4) LINES TO LONG? SKIP IT! COME BACK LATER!
5) get the big things done FIRST, then check out the shoppes and little things.
6) MAKE RESERVATIONS NOW FOR DINNERS. (MY FAVE IS THE SCI FI DRIVE THROUGH IN HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS :) )
7) GO to downtown disney to buy all your souveniers...dont bother in the parks...its all the same stuff...BELIEVE ME...so you dont have to carry it around all day
8) check out all the cool places to eat in downtown disney
9) go to universal studios, its awesome...

*cracks knuckles.

Unfortunately you are going in a time of construction, with the new Fantasyland working, Star Tours II, etc.

Check this site www.WDWMAGIC.com for information as well as a link to a forum and their iPhone App (if you have it) which updates waittimes.

If you are staying on site make use of their Extra Magic Hours, especially the ones at night to avoid crowds.

At Universal buy their fastpass, the price is dictated by park attendance but it allows you to ride everything once with literally no line since it has to be purchased. On our last trip, my wife and our two friends finished both parks riding absolutely everything including the kids rides since they are included at both parks in one day from 9-9.

As for food reservations my suggestions are Le Cellier Steakhouse, booked usually 6 months in advance at EPCOT, Sci-Fi Dine In in DS, San Angel counterservice (not the restaurant as their menu IMHO has gone downhill), Nine Dragons and Tusker House.

Realize that your most frustrating day will probably be at EPCOT where Soarin' and Mission: Space as well as Test Track have notoriously recently hit over 260 minute waits with little other attractions to do but the World Showcase is fantastic for shopping and trying new food.

Now I want to go. :lol

I've been many times too (but still not enough). I'm not sure how you're going to split your time between the 2 parks, but my advice is take it all in, even at the expense of an attraction or 2. I can't speak to Universal, but for me, Disney World is more about the experience than rides. There are a few that can be skipped (Swiss Family Robinson treehouse) and there are a few that need to be done twice to see everything (Haunted Mansion).

Each park has a night show, and you do lose time getting a primo spot and just waiting till dark. Don't miss Fantasmic at the Studios. It's the best one. However, during these shows/parades where many people are watching them, you can also make out like a bandit on attractions as the lines are short during the shows.

As I said though, take it in. It's easy to want to hurry and get from thing to thing to maximize to money spent. Spend some time to goof with the characters. There are shrubs sculpted like characters. The gardens are awesome if you take the time to notice them. There are hidden Mickeys all over, see if you can find them while you're in line, while you're eating. Watch the little kids. Seeing them get so excited is really cool. Take LOTS of pics.

Go to WDWMagic like the Mike said. It'll tell you what attractions are getting refurbed if any.

If you are staying on property, you don't have to carry souvenirs from the Parks around. You can have them shipped to your Resort and pick them up there after a day or so.

Even if it rains, which it's bound to, there are many "inside" attractions that can be done until the weather passes.

Have an awesome time. It really is a special place.

Hey guys.
Thanks for all the advice.
I am so psyched to go i cant wait.
I will look into booking some food places now that i know.
I am checking out the site, I cant believe im going to miss out on Startours. Im huge star wars fan and was looking forwrd to it :(
Oh well im sure we will be able to occupy ourselves.

Have a great time, it's such a special place. Make sure you go on Pirates of the Caribbean and of course Soarin' (Epcot).

We wanna go back, but have to wait one more year ($$)

wow....you guys are really making me want to go to Disney...I haven't been since I was 15 or so. Now my son is only 4 months old so I think the wife and I will wait until he's at least 5.

well its only 6 day till we head over. got 7 day disney pass and 3 day VIP universal pass. I am so excited i just cant wait. :D this week of work is going to go FOREVER!! is there any good collectible places or other shops you reccommend around Disneyworld i should visit?

I love Disney World. I have gone many many times and it never gets old. Having a son now just makes the experience better to see how excited he gets. I would love to get out to California and see the original park at some point.

well its only 6 day till we head over. got 7 day disney pass and 3 day VIP universal pass. I am so excited i just cant wait. :D this week of work is going to go FOREVER!! is there any good collectible places or other shops you reccommend around Disneyworld i should visit?

Theres a really good collectibles shop in the universal promenade.

Theres a really good collectibles shop in the universal promenade.

Agreed. It's as you come out of T23D. Full size and half scale endo plus loads of sideshow stuff. Universal is a must if u r going to Florida. Make sure you go on the Rip Ride Rockit too. Have fun.

I remember my mum & dad taking me when I was about 10 & I loved it, been Disney Paris quite a few times now but it don't compare to Florida. I've got a little boy who will be 2 in July really hoping to take him on his 5th or 6th birthday.

Yea i live close to disneyland and visit all the time, but last may i did a week a disneyworld. It was awesome I had such a great time. Ohana is a great restaurant. One of my favorite parts of the trip was having the dining plan, as you save money, and get to try all of the great food there, and when you are actually there you have prepaid all of the meals so it feels like you are spending nothing. We got a $500 gift card w/ our reservation, and we didn't even spend it all, so it felt like we spent no extra cash past what initially paid months in advance.
We just broght a few boxes of protein bars and nutritious snacks to help space out the meals a bit more, which ended up being a really good thing.

wow....you guys are really making me want to go to Disney...I haven't been since I was 15 or so. Now my son is only 4 months old so I think the wife and I will wait until he's at least 5.

Have been many, many times but the best, albeit the hardest(kids are a lot of work, it's true) vacation I've ever been on was when my daughters were 2 and 5. My 5 year old loved it and my two year old was an absolute blast. I always hear that you should not bring an infant there but kids grow up fast these days. When I returned with my then 7 year old, she was already jaded, didn't believe in princesses anymore ect and it just wasn't the same. So I highly advise bringing them before they get too old.

Back