MONSTERS INC 2 to be a prequel?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meth head

Super Freak
Reaction score
monsters-inc-movie-image-slice-01.jpg

From Collider.com

File this one in the rumor pile for now, but the upcoming sequel to Pixar’s Monsters, Inc. might actually be a prequel. Disney Central Plaza [via Stitch Kingdom] is reporting that a Disney film catalog has a brief plot synopsis for the film. According to the catalog, Monsters, Inc. 2,

“will take us back to before a time when Mike Wazowski was top comedian, before James P. Sullivan was top scarer, even before the buddies joined the MI workforce. In fact it takes us all the way back to school — the University of Fear to be precise. Although the two start out as frenemies, Monsters, Inc. 2 will weave the tale of how the dynamic duo transition from rivals to BFFs.”

That’s an interesting premise, although it should be noted that the plots of Pixar’s films have a tendency to change and evolve over the course of development. Monsters, Inc. 2 (tentative title) is set for release on November 2, 2012. Pete Docter will return to direct.

Sounds like a pretty cool premise. It's hard to say for sure without having an idea of what they may do if it were a sequel, but a prequel does kinda make more sense.

A sequel does seem a little more difficult to do since everything seemed nicely tied so a prequel makes sense. For me it'll really depend on whether or not they can get voice talent back especially since everyone including Waternoose could be/would be involved. By far one of my least favorites of the Pixar films but considering that now I have a son at least they are characters I like.

I have a feeling they can get the talent back. They got them all back for all three Toy Story's (except Jim Varney, but I'll forgive them since he was dead) and I think they had bigger actors in those than in Monsters, Inc.

I hate it when a movie is called something 2 when it is a prequel. 2 means sequel people! Not prequel. So they better drop the 2 title or else many people will be confused if this is indeed a prequel.

And frankly I'm not sure I'm digging all of the Pixar sequels now. One of them is bound to be their first bomb. Most of their films are just fine as one shots. Toy Story was the one exception I think. I think Cars 2 looks horrible since it is so far removed from what the original was. I mean, secret agents? How do you go from Nascar to Bond? :dunno

since it is so far removed from what the original was. I mean, secret agents? How do you go from Nascar to Bond? :dunno

I see what you mean and I thought the same. But at the same time, I think it's necessary to take it away from racing. Otherwise you'd get Cars 1 all over again.
I for one am really looking forward to Cars 2. The first one is really high in my list of favorite Pixar films! :)

And I also think it's a great idea to take Monster's Inc 2 back to the beginning. Like someone said before, part 1 got nicely tied up, so this to me sounds like the best option.
Seeing them learning the scaring techniques and everything in school should be a fun story.

One thing is for sure, seeing that they're Pixar films, I'll have good confidence that they'll both be awesome!

What I liked about PIXAR was the new stories they brought out every year. Toy Story 3 was the exception, but I was disappointed to see that another sequel to a the so, so cars is coming out this year. The news that there will be a Monsters Inc 2 is even more disappointing, because the story does not need a sequel or a prequel, and just seems like a cash in. PIXAR are great at creating new stories, so I hope they drop this idea, and go back to making something we have not seen before.

What about that film "Newt" :dunno

I read something about them shelving the project... Or is it officially cancelled with no chance whatsoever of it ever being made?

What about that film "Newt" :dunno

I read something about them shelving the project... Or is it officially cancelled with no chance whatsoever of it ever being made?

Cancelled. Brave is the next original story, but that looks like it might be shelved for Monsters Inc 2, which will be a great shame

Yes, Incredibles 2 is the next movie most deserving of a sequel. In general I agree that I'd rather see new stories than them to continue with sequels.

I gotta go with the Incredibles being #1 most deserving because it's pretty much demanded, but Monsters Inc is good news too.

I was not aware of a goddamn Cars sequel though until this thread...thanks for giving me time to prepare.

Back