Tron 3

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLU

Super Freak
Reaction score
Update 3/13/2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaodH483Ako&feature=player_embedded
It appears as though we've got some footage of the bonus material for Tron 3 that is on the soon to be released DVD for Tron Legacy. This is exciting and great news for us Tron fans.

https://screenrant.com/tron-legacy-sequel-announced-sandy-52762/

https://www.reelzchannel.com/movie-...ilde-and-director-joseph-kosinski-talk-tron-3

There are some rumors that Tron will infact be a trology. :hi5::yess: Screenrant.com reports that production for the film might actually have began already.. Also Olivia Wilde said she would gladly make a return in an interview at reelzchannel.com
This is great news and I'm very excited for more updates.

Last edited:
https://screenrant.com/tron-legacy-sequel-announced-sandy-52762/

https://www.reelzchannel.com/movie-...ilde-and-director-joseph-kosinski-talk-tron-3

There are some rumors that Tron will infact be a trology. :hi5::yess: Screenrant.com reports that production for the film might actually have began already.. Also Olivia Wilde said she would gladly make a return in an interview at reelzchannel.com
This is great news and I'm very excited for more updates.

That Screen Rant news are from April...
so, until there's confirmation I say it's just a rumor...

I can't see it happening with a mediocre box office performance

Mediocre?...
It recovered it's budget in 2 weeks worldwide... :dunno...

https://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=tron2.htm

Mediocre?...
It recovered it's budget in 2 weeks worldwide... :dunno...

https://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=tron2.htm

I never said that it was Mediocre, only if it does not perform to Disney's high expectations, don't expect a sequel. It seems since I last checked how well it was doing, it has staying power, which is something I said might happen in the Tron thread because of good word of mouth and repeat viewings.

I really hope this happens.

My wife's been encouraging me to write my fan fiction Tron/King Arthur vision out.

the working titles for Legacy were actually TR2N and TRON 2.0.

The one thing I'm not sure of is whether when the makers were originally talking about a "trilogy" if they included the original film or if they meant a trilogy of NEW films.

the working titles for Legacy were actually TR2N and TRON 2.0.

The one thing I'm not sure of is whether when the makers were originally talking about a "trilogy" if they included the original film or if they meant a trilogy of NEW films.

I was thinking the same thing. I really hope they are separate from the original.

i said this a few times, but I hope (and think) Bridges would not be involved. Its ok for his character to have left the way it did. Allowing the next film to feature Boxleitner and TRON instead would be great.

Huge difference between Domestic and Worldwide totals. Domestic totals actually determine sequels. Remember that Spider-Man 3's total Domestic was $336 Million and it was considered such a flop that they wanted to reboot despite the $258 Million budget and those numbers are domestics.

According to the link it's made $117.5 Million. Which is definitely the underperforming category. Disney doesn't ____ around with this stuff. Remember Prince Caspian? Made $141,621,490. Budget was: $225 Million. They cut the entire license without much hesitation. Unless Tron makes back its budget domestically, I wouldn't count on a surefire sequel which is why so many stars and the directors are still using the "I'd like to come back". Now it's purely possible that because Disney threw so much behind Tron: Legacy despite it's performance they might greenlight a sequel in order to try and recoup cost overall but they'll slash the budget and then overall the film will definitely suffer.

These things are decided in the boardroom not the fan reaction. There was just an article yesterday talking about how Tron was greenlit based on 2009 Comic Con reaction and were fueled by 2010 footage. Yet it still didn't perform to industry expectations.

usually movies even have to make back twice their budget domestically--several movies have only done well enough domestically to pay back it's cost only to not get a sequel

usually movies even have to make back twice their budget domestically--several movies have only done well enough domestically to pay back it's cost only to not get a sequel

Not only is the movie bringing in cash itself but it's other promotions like the video game,razor,toys and others have pushed its total revenue way up.

Yep, just the sheer amount of licensed items and the soundtrack alone, and eventually the Blu Ray sales hopefully will secure this movie a sequel...

Take for example Prince of Persia,
It is considered a flop, it grossed only $91 mil. domestically over a period of 17 weeks, but did $244 mil internationally...
and added $35 mil in DVD sales in the US only... so $370.00 for a "flop" is not too bad IMO...

Now look at Tron, it's already earned more than it's budget in just 2 weeks, I think domestically it will match it's budget and internationally will probably do $200 mil...

BUT, the difference will be Home video sales... I honestly think this movie will sell another $50 mil domestically at least... and the original Tron, once it gets released most likely will be around $20 mil more.
I think this franchise can accomplish great things, but it'll take time and once all the moneys are accounted for, Disney will see it...

Well my reaction to Legacy was not great but I think it was left open for another film.
Spoiler alert:
Don't want to spoil it for others that have not seen legacy yet but flynn lives:)
Around sams neck at the end of the film he has flynns program backed up on a flash drive thingy, so all he has to do is redigitize flynn from that.
So whether the dude wants to be in the next film or not, there is a back door;)

"no problems only solutions as the man said"

Take for example Prince of Persia,
It is considered a flop, it grossed only $91 mil. domestically over a period of 17 weeks, but did $244 mil internationally...
and added $35 mil in DVD sales in the US only... so $370.00 for a "flop" is not too bad IMO...

You guys aren't understanding. Domestic totals not including worldwide totals or merchandising is the usual measure for sequels. Spider-Man 3 was a flop but combine it worldwide and its domestic and you have $890,871,626. That isn't including merchandising and a $256 million budget, yet it was considered a flop by Sony Columbia to the point of rebooting with a slimmer budget even though it made its money back.

but it'll take time and once all the moneys are accounted for, Disney will see it...

They sure didn't for the Narnia series even though combine international, DVD sales and merchandising it more than made back its budget and they haven't greenlit a Prince of Persia 2 yet. Disney is notorious for cutting licenses down quickly despite overall business.

The only wild card here is that Disney planned for a franchise and put so much behind it that they might take everything into account but I wouldn't hold my breath just yet.

Back