Wolverine Vs Sabertooth - What do I display it with?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Six inches of Snow

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm the guy from Australia who got the $350 gift voucher for the Flash Fiction Contest. I have decided to use $250 of that on the Wolverine Vs Sabertooth Diorama, since I can't use it on Waitlisted items.

But I'm not a big Comic book reader, so just wanted to know which comic should I buy to display with this Diorama? Is the Diorama lifted from a certain fight they had, or should I go with Uncanny X-men #212, supposedly their first fight. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

The piece isn't based on any particular fight so issue 211 or 212 will do fine.

In fact, the piece is comepletely wrong. SS, for some stupid reason, used Sabretooth's 90's Jim Lee outfit with Wolverine's brown 80's outfit. Wolverine never battled Sabretooth in his Jim Lee outfit while he was still in his brown outfit. This fight never took place in any book. It makes no sense to me at all why SS didn't just use Sabretooth's original outfit. :confused:

This is main reason why I never purchased the Wolverine vs. Sabretooth diorama.

Bonehead15 said:

In fact, the piece is comepletely wrong. SS, for some stupid reason, used Sabretooth's 90's Jim Lee outfit with Wolverine's brown 80's outfit. Wolverine never battled Sabretooth in his Jim Lee outfit while he was still in his brown outfit. This fight never took place in any book. It makes no sense to me at all why SS didn't just use Sabretooth's original outfit. :confused:

If that's the main reason all I gotta say is: "damn...you are missing out!"

SolidLiquidFox said:
If that's the main reason all I gotta say is: "damn...you are missing out!"

me too,

This was the first piece I bought from SS and then I just can't believe the good quality and the striking pose of the diaroma and ordered all the newcoming ones.

So far it is the best piece I have.

About the display of this diaroma, like 1 year later when I will move to my new flat, I will specifically prepare a forest bacground with real vegetables for this diaroma inside an acyrlic base. But for now, it is waiting inside the box :rolleyes:

I have never read a single X-Men comic book in my life (sorry!), but I really love the Wolverine diorama, and I think that the two costumes complement each other rather nicely. They may be from two different eras in comic book history, but the color schemes go together well for this particular piece. Having a bright blue and yellow Wolverine, for example, wouldn't match Sabertooth very well, in my opinion. As it stands, it's a really nice piece, and I would consider it to be a worthy use of your gift certificate!

Welcome to the boards, by the way! Nice job on your story, and congratulations on winning that gift certificate. Enjoy your prize!

Bonehead15 said:

Thanks for the info. Since you seem to know a great deal about this, how about the X-men Sentinel Diorama, is that from anyplace in particular or no?

Spiderman Vs Hulk - Same?

Just wanted to know.

tomandshell said:
I have never read a single X-Men comic book in my life (sorry!), but I really love the Wolverine diorama, and I think that the two costumes complement each other rather nicely. They may be from two different eras in comic book history, but the color schemes go together well for this particular piece. Having a bright blue and yellow Wolverine, for example, wouldn't match Sabertooth very well, in my opinion. As it stands, it's a really nice piece, and I would consider it to be a worthy use of your gift certificate!

Welcome to the boards, by the way! Nice job on your story, and congratulations on winning that gift certificate. Enjoy your prize!

Thanks a lot, and congrats to you too for the second prize. I've been hanging around the boards for a while now, but just recently decided to register since I needed this info.

I have seen the diorama, so I know it looks great, but still need something to go along with it. I guess Uncanny X-Men #212 or Wolverine #10 would go along with it. I am primarily a buffy collector, but have to diversify since that line seems to have slowed down drastically. Anyway, nothing better than expanding your collecting horizons, especially when you don't have to pay for it. :lol

Six inches of Snow said:
Thanks for the info. Since you seem to know a great deal about this, how about the X-men Sentinel Diorama, is that from anyplace in particular or no?

Spiderman Vs Hulk - Same?

Just wanted to know.

X-men Vs Sentinel diorama is based on the Astonishing X-men comic book currently being published.

Hulk Vs Spidey is based on the Todd McFarlane era of Amazing Spider-Man.

Err..aren't the Wolverine brown costume also seen from early X men comic by Jim Lee in early 90's. I've posed the same uestion to Sideshow a while back and they replied its not based on any paged of the comics.
I was also contemplating in purchasing at first, but stumble on a good deal for an eclusive artist proof.
Its an iconic statue, which also a first of the Marvel vs series. You can also display it with Uncanny X Men # 222 (Face-off) whreas Wolverine #10 features their battle on snow. Definitely a nice piece to have.

I love this fricking statue and it pains to say that I noticed one of Sabertooths nail's is missing today! Almost brought me down don't know what happened to it or if I just never noticed it until now. But it sucks either way.

Anespian said:
Err..aren't the Wolverine brown costume also seen from early X men comic by Jim Lee in early 90's. I've posed the same uestion to Sideshow a while back and they replied its not based on any paged of the comics.
I was also contemplating in purchasing at first, but stumble on a good deal for an eclusive artist proof.
Its an iconic statue, which also a first of the Marvel vs series. You can also display it with Uncanny X Men # 222 (Face-off) whreas Wolverine #10 features their battle on snow. Definitely a nice piece to have.

Hey, Uncanny X-Men #222 looks pretty good, since the costumes seem to match the diorama. #213 also looks good. Might have to go with the #222 if I can find it. eBay here I come.:rolleyes:

This thread has inspired me to pick up some comic books of my own to display alongside my Marvel pieces. I just bought the X-Men #222 to go with my Wolverine/Sabretooth diorama and the Amazing Spider-Man #120 to go with the upcoming Hulk/Spidey piece. Now I am bidding on a copy of X-Men #98 to go with my Sentinel diorama.

uncanny_x-men_222.jpg
ASM120Cover.jpg
97792366288.98.GIF

Tom, you've really never read an X-Men comic? Buying these could start you down a slippery slope. :lol

Batty said:
Tom, you've really never read an X-Men comic? Buying these could start you down a slippery slope. :lol

I have read four comic books in my life: The comic adaptation of the original Star Wars, and the comic adaptation of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom for starters. The third one was an issue of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which I picked up to get some samples of artwork for a project that I was doing for my French class, where we had to create our own comic book (in French, of course). Mine was called Les Tortues D'Adolescent de Ninja de Mutant Sauvent Noël, or "The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Save Christmas." I also remember getting a G.I. Joe comic book at 7-11 when I was a kid. That is the extent of my comic book experience.

I picked up the "Ultimate Guide to the X-Men" from the folks who made the Star Wars visual guides, and looking through it, I realized that it would take a complete ignoramus like me about a decade to catch up on all that has happened over the years. So yes, I admit that I never got into comic books. I have always been a big movie watcher instead. I am almost at the point where I am going to have to start storing my DVDs in the refrigerator and microwave. They are everywhere...

tomandshell said:
I have read four comic books in my life: The comic adaptation of the original Star Wars, and the comic adaptation of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom for starters. The third one was an issue of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which I picked up to get some samples of artwork for a project that I was doing for my French class, where we had to create our own comic book (in French, of course). Mine was called Les Tortues D'Adolescent de Ninja de Mutant Sauvent Noël, or "The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Save Christmas." I also remember getting a G.I. Joe comic book at 7-11 when I was a kid. That is the extent of my comic book experience.

I picked up the "Ultimate Guide to the X-Men" from the folks who made the Star Wars visual guides, and looking through it, I realized that it would take a complete ignoramus like me about a decade to catch up on all that has happened over the years. So yes, I admit that I never got into comic books. I have always been a big movie watcher instead. I am almost at the point where I am going to have to start storing my DVDs in the refrigerator and microwave. They are everywhere...

Not being into comics, how did you decide to get into Marvel statues? I know they look amazing, but I don't know if I would collect something when I'm not familiar with the source material. I hope you don't think I'm trying to be a wise-ass here. It's just that over the past few years I've tried to focus my collecting habits and I'm interested in how people decide what to buy or not buy. I still have a problem in that area. I could go on and on about all my years of collecting.

Sorry to go off topic.

That's a good question Batty. Although I admit I've done the same thing that Tom is describing several times myself. One example would be the first comic statue I ever bought, Bowen's original Punisher. I'd never read a Punisher comic but I just loved the look of that statue. I've done the same thing several times since then, not necessarily with comic-based statues but with other characters or figures who's history I know nothing about, simply for love of the aesthetic appearance. In fact, every statue I've ever bought has been purchased with the aesthetic as the main priority, with the background of the character being secondary. The only exception for me has been Hulk related toys, of which I've bought plenty with no regard for their beauty. :)

Batty- While I haven't read the actual comic books, I have had plenty of exposure to the characters through their film and television appearances. That was enough to get me interested in the Sideshow/Marvel dioramas, and their quality and appearance did the rest.

I'm like one of the fans of the Lord of the Rings movies who has never read the book. I'm sure I'm missing a lot by skipping the X-men/Spidey comics, but the movies and TV shows that I have seen have given me enough of a love for the characters to want to buy and enjoy all of the VS. dioramas.

While not an X-virgin like Tom, I wasn't (and still am not) a huge fan of the characters. However seeing the Wolvie Vs. in person was enough for me to get into the statues.

If you want to get into the X-thing I'd recommend the hardcover Ultimate X-Men collections. No history needed.

Thanks Andy and Tom. I appreciate the feedback. I have about 10,000 comic books and it's lead me to collecting many other things. Sooooo many other things! I've been very tempted to get the Marvel pieces. The Hulk in particular.

BTW Tom, I'm always impressed by photos of your collection. Your set-up is museum quality.

Back