What I did to my 12" Sideshow Luke (10 pics)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duckgoo

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this site and I want to show you what I did with my Sideshow Luke figure.

I was not 100% happy with Sideshow's Luke headsculpt so I decided to use Giant Gentle's Luke headscuplt from their minibust instead. I mounted GG's headsculpt on a BBI body to get rid of monkey arms problem but I still used SS's hands. The SS uniform and equipment were top notch.

I know that GG's Luke head is from Ep4, so the face and hair are not matching Ep6, but I still like it.

Here it is, let me know what you think:

Side by Side comparison:
luke0.jpg

luke1.jpg

luke2.jpg

luke3.jpg

luke4.jpg

Mace and Luke could have been Jedi buddies.
luke5.jpg

Luke with some company:
luke6.jpg

luke7.jpg

luke8.jpg

My earlier work:

luke9.jpg

great pics duck....really like the stormtroopers...SS costum looks pretty good on a BBI body...

EVILFACE said:
Not feeling that head to much.

Yeah I agree the SS head is much better...but the BBI body does seem to have shorter arms...but I think the larger SS hands look a little off on the BBI body,could just be the pics though..

The figure looks nice, but I don't see the likeness on the GG head. The Sideshow head is better, IMO.

What did you use to mount the GG head to the body? It looks like it turned out nicely. I prefer the SS sculpt, but to each their own, and I think using the bust head to replace a 12" action figure head is a pretty novel idea.

That's a really nice custom, I think GG's sculpt is very good, actually.
Also, more in scale...

How did you get the SST hands to work on the BBI body?

,,,arrrgh,...sorry but the gg head looks like crap compared to the much better sideshow head.,,,, but it back on,...it looks terrible and not even close to jedi luke,...

Interesting!

Hamill's face changed drastically between ANH and Empire (and I thought it had been said it wasn't because of the car accident, but look at the difference. It had to be something major!)

Seeing that custom with the ANH Luke-face is cool just from the standpoint of "this is how he would have looked", and that makes it amazing! I like it!

So general consensus here is that SS's head is better than GG's for Jedi Luke.

Like William Shatner pointed out, this is what Luke Jedi Knight should have looked like. But Mark Hamill had a car accident btw Ep 4 and 5 and needed extensive plastic surgery so that explains the face change.

I still can't get over the oversize head and the buggy eyes from the Sideshow head.

I am keeping my Luke with the GG head on.

It looks neat that's for sure but I think the SS head is much better but it's not my piece so it really doesn't matter. I agree that the surgery MH had on his noggin between 4 & 5 drastically changed his look.

I think you did a nice job putting it together, but I do like the SS sculpt better for "Jedi" Luke. Maybe your Jedi Luke just has not been :emperor yet

Duckgoo said:
So general consensus here is that SS's head is better than GG's for Jedi Luke.

Like William Shatner pointed out, this is what Luke Jedi Knight should have looked like. But Mark Hamill had a car accident btw Ep 4 and 5 and needed extensive plastic surgery so that explains the face change.

I still can't get over the oversize head and the buggy eyes from the Sideshow head.

I am keeping my Luke with the GG head on.

i think the gentle giant head is an excellent likeness, but i looks like luke in episode 4.

as for mark hamill's car wreck, i've read quotes from him that the surgery he had was blown out of proportion. he said all he had to fix his face was a nose job, and if you look at sideshow's luke and gentle giant's luke, that's the main difference, the nose. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Hamill

maybe gentle giant will make a jedi luke bust and you can eventually use that head.

Last edited:
Am I the only one that agrees he looks different between Ep4 and Ep5, BUT that GG sculpt is a terrible likeness. That does not look like Hamill in Ep4.

luke_skywalker.jpg

That being said, I LOVE those proportionate arms on the BBI body. Is that body still being sold? And how do you attach the SSC hands to it? Can we put the SSC head on it as well?

I think it looks great! But l do prefer the Sideshow sculpt just because the GG sculpt looks like he's taking a mug shot or drivers lisence picture and trying not to smile. But having him on the BBi body looks great.

JustinLuck said:
Am I the only one that agrees he looks different between Ep4 and Ep5, BUT that GG sculpt is a terrible likeness. That does not look like Hamill in Ep4.

luke_skywalker.jpg

That being said, I LOVE those proportionate arms on the BBI body. Is that body still being sold? And how do you attach the SSC hands to it? Can we put the SSC head on it as well?

yes, he looks different. he had a nose job.

i have the gentle giant bust, and it's definately hamill from episode 4. it's a really good likeness. i personally think it's the best mass produced mark hamill sculpt available, with the premium format version being second best. sideshow's jedi luke would be best if it had a different expression(closed mouth, lowered eyebrows). i think if you saw the gentle giant bust in person you'd agree. .....or maybe not.:chew

as for the bbi body, they are available on the secondary market. you'd have to glue the head on the neck post, and you should be able to remove the wrist pins from the bbi hands and use them on the sideshow hands. this particular bbi body is the "G1".

Last edited:
captain sack said:
yes, he looks different. he had a nose job.

i have the gentle giant bust, and it's definately hamill from episode 4. it's a really good likeness. i personally think it's the best mass produced mark hamill sculpt available, with the premium format version being second best. sideshow's jedi luke would be best if it had a different expression(closed mouth, lowered eyebrows). i think if you saw the gentle giant bust in person you'd agree. .....or maybe not.:chew

as for the bbi body, they are available on the secondary market. you'd have to glue the head on the neck post, and you should be able to remove the wrist pins from the bbi hands and use them on the sideshow hands. this particular bbi body is the "G1".

Captain Sack is right. I took a BBI G1 body, clip off the pins for the BBI hands and glued them to the SS hands. It's easy. The SS head can be glued onto the neck post for the BBI G1. I used quick dry clay to connect my GG bust head to the BBI G1 body. That's it.

IMO the GG Luke looks too "dead" and while it works well enough for the Stormtrooper I don't think it's at all suitable for Jedi Luke. I definitely admire the work that's gone into the customs though. How easy was it to remove the heads from the GG mini busts?

Back