short interview with Brock at Starwars.com

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dstephan

Starwars.com

Sideshow takes Center Stage with New Star Wars Figure Line
August 11, 2005

As many fans are aware, Sideshow Collectibles recently announced its acquisition of the Star Wars 12" action figure line, which for a generation was valiantly carried by the Kenner/Hasbro companies. This changing of the guard has many collectors wondering what's in store from Sideshow's talented artisans, who are unabashed fans of the original 12" figure line and have developed a strong following for their own Star Wars Premium Format 1/4 Scale Figures.
The Premium Format figures, which average around 18" and are highly prized by fans for their accurate likenesses, detailed outfits, and accessories, have a distinctive high-end feel, which the company hopes to translate into the new 12" series.

Not surprisingly, this has collectors of the 12" figures pretty excited. In addition to bringing an unmatched expertise in high-end articulated figures to the table, Sideshow artisans are also truly passionate about Star Wars. "We're HUGE Star Wars fans," confesses Sideshow Senior Licensing Coordinator Brock Otterbacher. "There are so many stormtroopers around this office, I've lost count!"

With nearly 30 years of history behind the 12" figure line, fans have developed a taste for more sophisticated styling and more accurate portrait sculpts since the line's formative "toyetic" days. Sideshow plans to appeal to this growing class of collectors. "For the Sideshow line," explains Otterbacher, "expect not only an action figure, but a collectible figure. We're really striving for these figures to be high-end collectibles first, and 'action figures' second."

Sideshow intends to lend some added distinction to the line by giving each figure a 30-point articulated body, hand-sculpted portrait features, well-tailored outfits, and detailed accessories. "Some of these characters will have real leather belts and holsters, metal buckles, little pouches that you can store little bits of Jedi equipment in, and all kinds of crazy details! I think some of our sculptor/fabricators lost their sight due to squinting to get the details so small and accurate."

Because of the figures' high-end treatment, fans can expect to pay a bit more for the Sideshow editions, but only a fraction of what they'd expect to pay for similar pieces in this class. While Sideshow's Premium Format series will typically run between $250 - $450 depending on a figure's complexity, the new 12" figures should cost around $40 - $55, with the possibility of deluxe figures in the future costing slightly more.

For the added cost, collectors will be getting a hand-crafted, quality collectible that can only enhance the desirability of the original Kenner/Hasbro figures, since interest in the line's history is likely to be rekindled. Otterbacher has only praise for the line's previous caretakers. "Hasbro did an amazing job with the original 12" figures. For the cost you paid, you got a great action figure. But there are still a few characters that the fans (including us!) would have loved to see. Now, they are going to get that chance."

Soon, fans will get to vote on which character from the Expanded Universe they'd like to see made by Sideshow. "My hope is for either Asajj Ventress or Kir Kanos," says Otterbacher, "but, it's up to the fans..."

As details on this event are released, stay tuned to starwars.com for the latest updates...

I assume by deluxe they mean those that are a bit more complicated than just some Jedi robes, such as the armored characters, Vader, etc.

What I thought was interesting was:
We're really striving for these figures to be high-end collectibles first, and 'action figures' second."
Seems like some of what they're learning doing the PFs might carry over into the 1/6. I just hope it doesn't mean less articulation.

Thanks for the info, dstephan.

I liked the "high-end collectibles" part as well. Sounds very interesting.

Yup, read this the other day. Thought it was cool to see SS talked about on the SW site.

I'm curious what the edition sizes of these figures will be given that Hasbro is so widely distributed. The Star Wars line will be good for sideshow to expand their visibility, I hope a DVD rehash will be issued with a figure or polystone environment to promote their visibility, but I think the DVD trilogy and double trilogy has been overdone already. I wonder if these figures will be mass marketed or remain somewhat in the collector's realm.

The figures will have similar runs to other SSC 1/6 figures they've said, so I'm guessing not much more than 10,000 units and most a lot less.

I believe it was said that the EU figures were to be SSC web exclusives, but I could be mis-remembering.

Probably.

Me, on the other hand- I'll totally tell you guys some scoops.

What do ya want to know?

What do ya want to know?
Of course the burning question of the century...."No Faramir? What's up with that?"

But if you'd care to run down the first 10 Star Wars figures, their edition sizes and prices, I don't think anyone would object...

Sure thing!!!

All edition sizes will be less than 10,000.

1. A guy from one of the films- SRP- between $1-$100

2. A guy from one of the films- SRP- between $1-$100

3. A guy from one of the films- SRP- between $1-$100

4. A guy from one of the films- SRP- between $1-$100

5. A guy from one of the films- SRP- between $1-$100

6. A corpse from one of the films- SRP- between $1-$100

7. A thing from one of the films- SRP- between $1-$100

8. A guy from one of the films- SRP- between $1-$100

9. A girl from one of the films- SRP- between $1-$100

10. A guy from one of the films- SRP- between $1-$100

What do ya want to know?

Ohh... you are such a tease! :whip

Pictures!!! Any prototype pics will do. I love seeing the steps that a figure goes through during procution.

Some pics of the original wax sculpts would be awesome!

Pipe dream, I know, but I had to ask.

And the thing from one of the films - that's the one that I want! I hope it's the green thing and not the red thing!

What do ya want to know?

How about answering whether we can expect armored Characters like Boba Fett, Stormtroopers, Clone Troopers, Darth Vader, Imperial Guards, Obi-Wan in Clone Armor etc. within the first year or will we have to wait a while?

Back