Spike Questions

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protozaius

Chief Defender of Faith
Reaction score
As most of you are aware, since I've made my plight public few weeks back, I've been on the hunt for a human faced Spike from Sideshow for awhile now. Well, the hunt continues... but that is not the reason for this post.

When I do finally get him, I plan on displaying him without his black coat (my "game faced" Spike will have that honor) but with his red shirt. However, that leaves him with his black gloves. Since I CANNOT afford the exclusive version with the human hands, I'm wondering what my options are going to be.

So this thread goes out to the lucky people who already have this Spike. I was wondering if someone could take pictures of their Spike without the coat and with the black gloves. I would like to see what he looks like this way. I also would like to see pictures of his head close up to get a look at his overall skin tone... since I always see the same Sideshow prototype pictures in auctions or distant box shots. Sideshow tends to vary the skin tones from figure to figure. I'm assuming that Spike is paler than usual.

Here's what I'm thinking... I currently have a spare loose London After Midnight 12" figure (who was a pale skin tone) and a Timothy Dalton Bond (who has a more normal skin tone) I was going to slap on Ebay soon (to help pay for my Spike :D ). I wish to match the skin color of Spike, so I was wonder which set of hands do I set aside for Spike. I would think Mr. Chaney with do the trick but I'm not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

Geez, why didn't Sideshow make the GLOVED HANDS the exclusive??? :horror

Protozaius, I've made it my mission in life to help you find a new-yet-affordable Human Spike! (This isn't exactly along the lines of your post, but thought I'd let you know I'm 'on the lookout' til you fulfill your search!) :lol :D

Protozaius said:
As most of you are aware, since I've made my plight public few weeks back, I've been on the hunt for a human faced Spike from Sideshow for awhile now. Well, the hunt continues... but that is not the reason for this post.

When I do finally get him, I plan on displaying him without his black coat (my "game faced" Spike will have that honor) but with his red shirt. However, that leaves him with his black gloves. Since I CANNOT afford the exclusive version with the human hands, I'm wondering what my options are going to be.

So this thread goes out to the lucky people who already have this Spike. I was wondering if someone could take pictures of their Spike without the coat and with the black gloves. I would like to see what he looks like this way. I also would like to see pictures of his head close up to get a look at his overall skin tone... since I always see the same Sideshow prototype pictures in auctions or distant box shots. Sideshow tends to vary the skin tones from figure to figure. I'm assuming that Spike is paler than usual.

Here's what I'm thinking... I currently have a spare loose London After Midnight 12" figure (who was a pale skin tone) and a Timothy Dalton Bond (who has a more normal skin tone) I was going to slap on Ebay soon (to help pay for my Spike :D ). I wish to match the skin color of Spike, so I was wonder which set of hands do I set aside for Spike. I would think Mr. Chaney with do the trick but I'm not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

Geez, why didn't Sideshow make the GLOVED HANDS the exclusive??? :horror

Just switch your Spikes gloved hands with Angel's becoming hands.

Aerosmith said:
Just to let you know the red shirt is inacurate. It's short sleeved, it should be long sleeved. I'll try and get some pics tommorow for you. Also Michael Crawford did a review of Spike that has some good pics.

https://mwctoys.com/REVIEW_042804a.htm

THE RED SHIRT IS SHORT-SLEEVED!!!! NOOOO!!!!!:monkey2 :horror :monkey2 :horror

Sideshow, you're killing me!:(

Thanbks, Aerosmith for the link to MC's Review page. It NEVER occurred to me to check his past reviews.:pow

What's this about Angel's becoming hands? :confused:

How about getting the hands from a Subway Spike. Those are pretty inexpensive? Also, leave the jacket on. I jacketed all my Spikes including Subway Spike. :wacky

Protozaius said:
What's this about Angel's becoming hands? :confused:

I was just saying if you have a human angel, switch out his hands when you want to pose spike, I think Angel becoming also has blackfingernail polish...

None of the Angels has black nail polish, but two of them are wearing a ring, if that matters. If it does, then any figure with normal hands will suit, then if you really have to have the nail polish, you'll have to paint them. Probably best for you to check through your other figures, for suitable hands, that are a close match in skin tones.

pjam said:
I was just saying if you have a human angel, switch out his hands when you want to pose spike, I think Angel becoming also has blackfingernail polish...

Sorry, I just wasn't familiar with the "Becoming" reference to Angel. I know it's an episode of Buffy, but I didn't know if any Angel relase was a direct reference to it... say like Grad Buffy or Prophecy Girl Buffy. Currently, I still don't have the first human Angel. That release, his hands have his signature rings on his fingers and no black nail polish. The Origins Angel I have just purchased and will be dleivered on Thursday. My first Angle figure!!! :D But I don't think his nails are black... however I need those hands to "complete" him.

Like I stated earlier, I do have a extra Dalton Bond which I might use and paint the nails myself. That's a bit of customizing that even I can handle. :rolleyes:

The Subway Spike hands is good idea... however, I wasn't sure if I was going to pick him up or not. HIs '80's looks scares me. :google Perhaps if I gave HIM the black coat and gloves he would look better. :eek:

But more importantly, I have got to get past the fact that Spike has been short sleeved!:monkey2

I suppose the obvious joke is his sleeves arent too short, it's his arms that are too long. Not even funny anymore.

The Becoming Angel is the first human Angel figure. Subway Spike would seem like your best option. I have been pondering getting him also. He is ringed up in his own unique way, and I don't know if his studded wrist band is attached or not. So that is something to consider. Someone will undoubtedly chime in with the knowledge shortly.

Proto if you need the first Human faced Angel
Oluf W. Hartvigson still has some on Ebay and
they are priced right at 55.00 US. He also
has Graduation day Buffy for the same price.

Good luck with Spike.

You might consider buying a nude SSC figure from one of the dealers that parts figures out. They are usually fairly inexpensive compared to buying even a discounted boxed figure. The hands aren't difficult to swap out and you won't feel bad about painting the fingernails on a figure you've only invested six USD in. Just pick a figure with hands and hopefully a headsculpt you like. you'll also end up with an extra body and headsculpt to screw around with which is always fun. As you know most of the heads fit on Dragon bodies great as well, including Spikes. That's another option. Personally I prefer SSC's handsculpts to Dragons by a wide margin, but if you have a DML body laying around............

Protozaius said:
Sorry, I just wasn't familiar with the "Becoming" reference to Angel. I know it's an episode of Buffy, but I didn't know if any Angel relase was a direct reference to it... say like Grad Buffy or Prophecy Girl Buffy. Currently, I still don't have the first human Angel. That release, his hands have his signature rings on his fingers and no black nail polish.

Sorry Proto, forgot about the ring thing, still no biggie to switch out hands with many other figs.

Migwit said:
Protozaius, I've made it my mission in life to help you find a new-yet-affordable Human Spike! (This isn't exactly along the lines of your post, but thought I'd let you know I'm 'on the lookout' til you fulfill your search!) :lol :D

Thanks for your pledge, Migwit... I appreciate your efforts. I think I'm going to need all the help I can get! :eek:

dr2red said:
Proto if you need the first Human faced Angel
Oluf W. Hartvigson still has some on Ebay and
they are priced right at 55.00 US. He also
has Graduation day Buffy for the same price.

Good luck with Spike.

I have been eyeing Oluf's auctions... I wish I had eyed them a little sooner to score one of his SPIKE figures, but I digress.

He still has 6 of them left. I was surprised that he has held on to them for as long as he has! :confused:

I was thinking, or should I say hoping, that his supply and his low price for this Angel MIGHT drive the price of the figure down a bit... at least for now. I would rather get the figure cheaper than get it signed. If I got it signed, I would probably do something stupid like keep it in the box as a "collectible". :rolleyes:

As for Graduation Buffy, I got her basically FREE in trade from a local comic store for a bunch of theatrical posters I snagged at work. Being a projectionist at a movie theatre has it's benefits. :D

Protozaius, I pm'd you, but it looks like you're bidding on another Spike? Good luck if that's you!! :D

Protozaius said:
If I got it signed, I would probably do something stupid like keep it in the box as a "collectible". :rolleyes:
:D

I would have the same dilemna! I love to take the figures out and display them but if I ever got one in a signed box, well I'd be afraid to mar it in any way.

Migwit said:
Protozaius, I pm'd you, but it looks like you're bidding on another Spike? Good luck if that's you!! :D

If it says "The Zaius Museum" then that's me! Yeah, I have bidding on a couple of them... it's getting hard to keep track of all of them. :google

Wouldn't it be "funny" if I accidently won TWO! :horror

Did you get in touch with Firefly Flanatic's daughter. See 'I have been violated'. She mentions her daughter may be looking to sell her Spike. Best send off a PM to confirm status.

Back