Eric Stoltz Was Marty McFly For A Little

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eric Stoltz is a terrific actor. I'd heard a long time ago that he filmed on BTTF and was replaced. I saw pictures earlier this year and thought he looked like he fit in the film. Now I'm more convinced than ever that he would have been great. Zemeckis tends to go too sugar-coated and Stoltz could have been a good counter balance. Stoltz performance (had it been used) might have led the sequels to be a bit more dramatic and satisfying, especially the third film.

Not to detract from MJ Fox, who was terrific, but Stoltz got screwed over.

Eric Stoltz is a terrific actor. I'd heard a long time ago that he filmed on BTTF and was replaced. I saw pictures earlier this year and thought he looked like he fit in the film. Now I'm more convinced than ever that he would have been great. Zemeckis tends to go too sugar-coated and Stoltz could have been a good counter balance. Stoltz performance (had it been used) might have led the sequels to be a bit more dramatic and satisfying, especially the third film.

He did get screwed over and if I never knew about MJF BTTF I think it would have still been pretty good but having known about MJF BTTF I would never want another actor playing that role.

I've known about this for a long time but had never seen any footage, good stuff! Trying to picture BTTF with anyone other than MJF is impossible though.

You can tell from the few scenes with Stoltz that the film wouldn't have been the same. I laugh when the MJF Marty looks at George in the dinner.... not so much when Stoltz does. He just doesn't have the right comedic presence.

He did get screwed over and if I never knew about MJF BTTF I think it would have still been pretty good but having known about MJF BTTF I would never want another actor playing that role.

:exactly::exactly::exactly:

MJF is Marty.

Ever since I first saw the pics with ES in the role I thought he looked like an impostor.

You can tell from the few scenes with Stoltz that the film wouldn't have been the same. I laugh when the MJF Marty looks at George in the dinner.... not so much when Stoltz does. He just doesn't have the right comedic presence.

:exactly:

Every inch of MJF face, every word of his dialogue and every subtle mannerism oozes quirky, comedic genius in those films.

A lot of this footage is new but I swear I've seen the DeLorean test footage about five years ago or more....Eric Stoltz is a great actor but after seeing some of it, he doesn't hold a candle to MJF in this particular role...

Had Stoltz been Marty the movie would have flopped (Zemeckis knew it wasn't getting laughs) and no sequels would have been made.

A lot of this footage is new but I swear I've seen the DeLorean test footage about five years ago or more....Eric Stoltz is a great actor but after seeing some of it, he doesn't hold a candle to MJF in this particular role...

Agreed. MJF was born to play Marty. I think I'll add him to the thread. I like Eric Stoltz, but that diner scene he didn't look shocked and surprised...just really confused.

Interesting, I'd only seen stills until now.
MJF performance as Marty was movie casting magic.
Glad they pulled the plug on Stoltz.
Ive never heard Stoltz comment on the decision, wonder if he's bitter.

Same here Mike... I know I've seen shots of Stoltz in the past. Why is this suddenly topical?

On a side note I learned a few weeks back that Teen Wolf was actually filmed before BTTF even though it was released in theatres after. Is that common knowledge??

It was actually filmed before Robert Zemeckis' Back to the Future, shooting on the same Pasadena street that Zemeckis' film was scouting for. It wasn't released until after the Universal blockbuster. By the time Fox finished Teen Wolf, Eric Stoltz had been released from the Zemeckis film and Fox was hired in his place.

Same here Mike... I know I've seen shots of Stoltz in the past. Why is this suddenly topical?

On a side note I learned a few weeks back that Teen Wolf was actually filmed before BTTF even though it was released in theatres after. Is that common knowledge??

Why ISN'T everything BTTF topical? :D

Back